1995 RT Starting Issue (help!)

pinballrebel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anybody diagnose this? I have a 95 viper sometimes it won't turn over almost like a dead battery but with no click. I put in a new battery. Dealer said new starter so we did that too. It isn't the clutch switch as I bypassed that. It does it at random. Tonight it wouldn't turn over at the car wash. I waited 5 minutes and it started. The last time it did this it got where it wouldn't start at all that's when I had it towed and a starter put in. 27k miles on it. I hate to sell it but I dont trust it to drive it very far as Im afraid its going to strand me and stick me with a big tow bill :)

Ken

OP
OP
P

pinballrebel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good suggestion. I checked and cleaned all the grounds before I invested in a new starter :(

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have a service manual? If you do, you can look at the wiring diagrams to see where the key to starter connections are located. If you look by the remote POS location at the front driver side, you'll see a 3 pin connector. One of those pins is a lead to the starter POS. If you connect that to the POS battery terminal there, you can hit the starter from that location. That should tell you if the connection issue is at the starter/battery or somewhere in between. I found the wiring diagrams in the service manual to be very valuable when tracing down a starter problem on my '95. According to my service manual, the wire you are looking for is the center pin of connector C205. That should lead directly to the starter solenoid.

Check the pin with a tester first to ensure that it is in fact shorted to that solenoid. You don't want to send 12V down the wrong spot.

OP
OP
P

pinballrebel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay I found the three pin connector and the positive terminal connections right next to each other. I cant lay my hands on the manual at the moment though its burried in my shop somewhere. Can anybody check to see which pin? Im assuming I jump the +12 terminal block to the pin that heads away from the dash :) After making sure the car is in neutral and the e-brake is on :)

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also check back at the battery, There is a fusible link back at the battery that gives you 12 volt feed to the ignition, Mine was doing the same think and the fusible link was fine but were the factory attached the wire to the fusible link was green and corroded. Soldered and shrink tubed the new link in and never had a issue again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte