1996 B&W GTS seen by Newbie !!!! What do you guys think????

Snake Charmer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:omg:Ok. Saw the '96 GTS. Car has 7300 miles on the clock was sitting since 1997. There were actually cobwebs under the car and hanging from the underside. It had a cover on it sitting in corner of the shop.

Desptie the cover there was dust in the interior. Engine compartment was clean but a little dusty. The rotors were all rusty from sitting so long and had more cobwebs.
No gas in the tank. It was drained since the car had been sitting. Needs a new fuel pump which the owner has since the old gas gummed up the original.
Needs a full detail in and out.

The front air scoop paint is cracked on the seam.

My mechanic who was there and has a shop that is local (he restores Cobras and classic cars etc...he works on my Shelby Cobra) says the car is a "barn find" and can be brought back to "show room" including all fluid drained and replaced, hoses replaced, compression test, new plugs, paint repair and a full detail and polish in and out and engine bay, Carpets shampooed etc...

The guy had all the paperwork and even had the original dealer Viper GTS brochure in car.

Tires seem good. I don't know if there flat spotted though.

I can buy the car I think for $33K. I figure $1500.00 to bring the car back.

Being somewhat circumspect I asked if the car was a salvage title car. Guy said no, its a clear and clean title and he has it in hand.

I think I'm going for it!!!

I'm thinking just some minor mods like a Mopar Catback performance exhaust, side pipe wrap to keep the heat down, Eibach lowering springs and a K&N filter.

Any other minor mods you guys suggest????

Thanks.

Almost a Viper owner!!!!:omg:

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tires and all fluids/battery first. So important to replace the tires, they may look good but will slide like a **** on a frozen pond. Old tires on a Viper are honestly dangerous. I bought my pristine 97 a few years back, all stock with original tires and after 1 long drive I found out why everyone on this board screams new tires when date codes start getting older. Do all the maintenance, make sure all recalls were done, then modify. With the rotors all rusted up you may need to replace them with pads, they might be pitted under the rust. Don't forget p/s bracket and billet pulley!

VJR3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agreed.............you will need tires for sure

My 97 GTS had 9,600 miles driven regularly needed tires due to dry rot and they were as hard as a rock

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smooth tubes for the intake and if you want to keep the heat down on those side sills, high flow cats make the biggest difference.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Research the maintenance needs and get the list of stuff you need done priced. Mt sense is that it will cost A LOT more than $1500 to put it on the road in top condition. You may be able to use the list/plan as a means of negotiating price....not that the car isn't valuable, but if bringing it back is 4-5K, then you're really paying $38 (plus your time) which is no longer a great deal.

Hope I'm wrong about restoration costs, but just tires, brakes, fluids and the odd bad hose will cost $2-3K......if the fuel pump and other stuff is bad, it'll go higher.

Other stiff to check:

Brake lines (if they've been sitting forever, make sure they hold pressure and aren't cracked

Steering hydraulics - same deal

AC - many systems lose refrigerant over time even when used and well lubricated.....sitting is not a friend of pressurized systems

Belts and hoses....dry, cracked etc.....seems like a little thing until you have to replace a lot of 'em

Good luck with the acquisition though, B/Ws are very nice.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously do the things that need doing first (pump, fluids, tires, etc…) to get her legs moving again. Have plenty of time for mods after!!!

ultradriver10000

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can get the dual 255 pumps for like $430. I'm sure you can install a single 255 for less then $150.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
also you will be surprised that gaskets go to ****, wait till you fire it up to find all sorts of oil leaks just from sitting. you will safely have to budget $3-5 to bring her to health that would include a set of brand new tires. just remember it is not a camaro or a mustang where parts are dirt cheap. you need someone who knows what they are doing with this car. also check history on factory recalls, i believe a frame recall on that year, just to cover your basis. and best of luck with this purchase.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So let me get this right, your going to buy this car without doing these repairs first I assume? Factor in you have NO clue if the car even runs and what other surprises may come up. That car may have been parked for other reasons. Bad tranny, clutch, spun rod, knock etc etc. I don't think your stealing it at $33K and I don't think its worth the risk unless you can start the car and at least run it.

I don't think barn-find describes this car unless you get it for sub $30K. If you get if for that your taking a gable still but the cards are in your favor.

-Tim

OP
OP
S

Snake Charmer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Deal is we do recall checks and autocheck/carfax first. Then the car goes to my mechanics shop . He gets it on the lift etc..checks it over and changes all the fluids etc..gets it running and checks it out mechanically first i.e. compression test etc..test drive.

Once the car checks out mechanicially then I pay for the car.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd also be concerned about the condition of the heater core as well. May be rotted out by now. As others have already mentioned tires, gaskets, all fluids flush and fill, fuel pump & filter, etc. I'd budget $5K or so for fixes. Good luck with it.

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd also be concerned about the condition of the heater core as well. May be rotted out by now. As others have already mentioned tires, gaskets, all fluids flush and fill, fuel pump & filter, etc. I'd budget $5K or so for fixes. Good luck with it.

Even if it cost 5K ro get it up to par....dam...you got a very nice low mileage, completely checked over and serviced fresh,,,96 GTS !! for 38K...now thats a deal...case closed...

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a $33,000 risk....
Yes, Sounds fishy. Hope there is no big surprises. Offer him $30,000 . Dollars add up fast. Dirt in the interior? What does the rubber seals look like. What's the paint look like under the dust? Better check it over good.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

^^^^^ this

OP
OP
S

Snake Charmer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car is started and driven first.

Heater core???? whats that?????

what does it cost to replace????

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Deal is we do recall checks and autocheck/carfax first. Then the car goes to my mechanics shop . He gets it on the lift etc..checks it over and changes all the fluids etc..gets it running and checks it out mechanically first i.e. compression test etc..test drive.

If it were me, I would go for it. You remove allot of the risk with what you just said. My car was driven less than 2000 miles in 10 years and the car is perfect!

Last edited:

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Do you pay $33K for the car AND pay for the parts and labor your mechanic puts in to it up front to get it running? Or is the current owner responsible for those up front charges? You will pay more than $1,500 even AFTER it is in good running condition.

This is similar to your radiator at the front of the car, but smaller for the cab of the car. Radiator fluid that is heated from the motor runs through this and your heater fan inside the cab blows the heat off the heater core to warm up the cab of your car. It's essentially the vessel that makes your heater work. I hear it's not fun to fix and I don't think it is cheap to replace. Not saying yours is bad...you'll find out when you start it up. You'll have a puddle on the passenger's side under the dashboard. In any event, be ready to dish out more than $1,500.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Why try to "restore" a "barn find" at an unknown expense when there are good cars out their running, and in good condition...ESPECIALLY when you are buying "high" in my opinion given the description that you have provided ??

As you do seem inclined to do this deal, I would suggest you FIRST find a real Viper Pro who agrees to do this work for you. There can be a steep learning curve when working on these cars. Best of luck !!

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do all the above and enjoy the car. Make sure the mechanic checks out all the wiring for any rat eaten wires. Change the tires first and check periodically for leaks(timing chain cover,oil pan,rear main, ect..)

evil00017

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think steve-indy really hit the nail on the head. This is a "barn find" but not in the way that your mechanic makes it seem. Low mileage vipers are not that hard to find as a lot of people try to keep the miles off of them. You can find a nice car with the same mileage that has had the miles spread out over the life of the car. I bought my viper with 8500 miles and it was maintained through the life of the car and never neglected. I have had relatively minor problems with it.

Not to say that that car does not have potential but I would want it at a much lower price. You just dont know what will have to be replaced.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The heater core is located on the passenger side of the engine compartment/passenger foot well area. They've been know to rot/go bad causing hot engine coolant to be dumped onto your passengers feet. An experienced reputable Viper pro would know what to look for in this scenario. Consider finding a local Viper pro to check out the viper, thoroughly, for you and educate your mechanic on what's involved to resolve any issues found and the type of maintenance needed to bring it back to life.

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So many pessimists. LOL.
I'll go against the grain and be an optimist:

It might start right up and run perfectly with just the fuel-pump and new gas. You could then change fluids and hoses on an "as needed" basis thereafter. :D

Regardless, good luck! (And get tires!)

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regardless, good luck! (And get tires!)

And gaskets, and hoses, and possibly new heater core, and change all the fluids in trans, rear, coolant, clutch, and definetely new brakes and new brake lines, and new brake fluids, and and and and and and and....:omg:$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ just being an optimist too;)