1996 GTS vs 2006 RT10 Coupe

piper1112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I sold my 96 B/W GTS last fall as I was offered a fair bit more than I had purchased it for ( still a mistake though )....anyway, I am currently looking for another viper and I am torn between the Gen II and Gen III. I am well aware of the difference in appearances so my question is geared more towards the pro's and cons of each car. My 96 ran hot, took forever to cool down, was difficult to work on ( because of the tilt hood ), etc. Nothing major...and don't get me wrong, the tilt hood to me is superior in appearance....and the GenIII seems to have a sleeker refined look and not as raw, so there are trade off's to each model. I was wondering if anyone has has a gen II and then went to a Gen III ...or vice versa, and what anyones thoughts were.
ei. dependability, HP, drive train, compartment temp, handling, comfort ( not real important...curious), any upgrades, etc.

Thanks Piper:beer:

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 2001 GTS RED/silver stripe for about 2 years and then sold that to get my 2006 SRT10 Coupe. Both are great cars and I know what you mean about the Gen III's looking a little "less raw" (for lack of a better word). However, the first pic I saw of a Gen III lowered with wheels, I was hooked. Believe it or not I think the cockpit of the Gen III is a little more snug but alot nicer. All in all both are great cars but I prefer my Gen III. Look at it this way, a ton of people would LOVE to have your "problem". :D

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started out with a Gen2 then went to a Gen3, then back to a Gen2 and then to a Gen 4. My 2nd Gen2 felt like an old pair of jeans when I got in it- just right. It was a very strong stock motored ACR so as far as power was concerned it had plenty in comparison to the Gen 3 and 4. I definitely liked the throttle control of the 2 over the 4. And the lines, well who doesn't love a GTS:D

OP
OP
P

piper1112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a 2001 GTS RED/silver stripe for about 2 years and then sold that to get my 2006 SRT10 Coupe. Both are great cars and I know what you mean about the Gen III's looking a little "less raw" (for lack of a better word). However, the first pic I saw of a Gen III lowered with wheels, I was hooked. Believe it or not I think the cockpit of the Gen III is a little more snug but alot nicer. All in all both are great cars but I prefer my Gen III. Look at it this way, a ton of people would LOVE to have your "problem". :D

Thanks for the feedback:beer:

OP
OP
P

piper1112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I started out with a Gen2 then went to a Gen3, then back to a Gen2 and then to a Gen 4. My 2nd Gen2 felt like an old pair of jeans when I got in it- just right. It was a very strong stock motored ACR so as far as power was concerned it had plenty in comparison to the Gen 3 and 4. I definitely liked the throttle control of the 2 over the 4. And the lines, well who doesn't love a GTS:D

Thanks brother:beer:

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Loved my B/W GTS and I never ever had a problem with over heating. Ran awesome! I wished I would have never sold that car! The brakes are way better in the 3 over the 2. Other than that I would get a 2 and put big brakes and headers on her. Now a gen4 I have no idea never drove one. soon;)

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gen 2 gts all the way when you see a gen 2 gts comming down the highway no mistaking it for a corvette

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A vette no..But maybe one of the shoes of a 150 foot tall Ronald mcdonald

ExplorerThis

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Please come again when you have more valuable insight noob.

Don't worry I had my 2000 gts doors block sanded, was tired of the c3 vette fiberglass quality and stepped up to a less "raw" car.

Sorry I have the low post count, guess that makes me brand new to the whole car game.

I'll shoot you my body guys number so he can take care of your c3...i mean gen2.

JHill9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 2 was my choice. Wanted one ever since they came out. When I was looking I drove a few Gen 3s but they just seemed to be different and not for me. The only thing I would consider is a Gen 4 ACR, but I haven't driven one so maybe I wouldn't like it. Also I will never sell my Gen 2.:D

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope I will like my new 10 ACR....I did not like my VCA Gen3 much. It was ok. Liked my Gen 2 GTS much better. Did'nt like the brakes at all though, but that is an easy fix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi