1996 RT Oil Filter Removal

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I searched...and found little about the issue.

Today, while changing the oil in the '96 RT, I had a heck of a time getting the filter out of the car. I had the car on the 4 post and jacked it up high enough to let the RF wheel drop...but could not get the filter out over the lower control arm.

I finally removed the two retainers that keep the A/C line secured to the frame and was able to move the line far enough to get the filter out. It was very tight....and in retrospect I seem to remember a similar situation last time.

I'm wondering if the A/C line needs to have it's route slightly adjusted, or if perhaps the motor mounts are going....or is there just some trick I don't know? It can't be this much of a project to change the filter in a '96 RT.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The proper way to remove the filter on a 96' RT/10 that I've done for 7 years...

1. wiggle
2. twist
3. turn
4. swear you're buying a true Gen 2 next time

If you had to remove anything, I'd say you're right in guessing your motor mounts are going/gone or needing to reroute the AC line. Its a PITA, but I've never had to actually remove/adjust anything. You can actually get the filter out with all 4 wheels on the ground as well, but I'd think with a wheel suspended in the air it should be "easier"

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chad...I also have a 2000 GTS....much easier!

I've only driven my car 4k/yr the past couple years. Gotta admit, only 1 o/c a year is nice when its such a pain.

Is it possible the 908 recall was done incorrectly.

Doesn't sound like it. I don't think he'd be getting the filter from the bottom at all if that was the case.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I searched...and found little about the issue.

Today, while changing the oil in the '96 RT, I had a heck of a time getting the filter out of the car. I had the car on the 4 post and jacked it up high enough to let the RF wheel drop...but could not get the filter out over the lower control arm.

I finally removed the two retainers that keep the A/C line secured to the frame and was able to move the line far enough to get the filter out. It was very tight....and in retrospect I seem to remember a similar situation last time.

I'm wondering if the A/C line needs to have it's route slightly adjusted, or if perhaps the motor mounts are going....or is there just some trick I don't know? It can't be this much of a project to change the filter in a '96 RT.

If you were to replace the large ac line the new updated line goes behind the filter instead of infront of it. (like your 2000 GTS) I agree with the comments about checking your engine mounts.