2 PERFECT 01 RT-10s ON EBAY! HIGH BIDS ONLY $52K AND $49K! PRICES ARE GETTING UGLY!!!

EXECMALIBU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THERE WERE 2 SEPARATE EBAY AUCTIONS FOR SHAPIRE BLUE 2001 RT-10s THAT ENDED LAST WEEK.. BOTH CARS ARE LOW MILAGE AND LOOK PERFECT..

THE BIDDING ON ONE IN CALIF ENDED WITH ONLY 1 BID @ $52,000 THIS IS THE 3RD TIME THIS CAR HAS BEEN AUCTIONED IN THE LAST FEW MONTHS.. THE OTHER CAR IN FLORIDA AND BIDDING ENDED @ ONLY $49,700!

EBAY IS USUALLY A PRETTY GOOD PLACE TO SELL A CAR BECAUSEYOU GET INTERNATIONAL EXPOSURE.. EVEN IF THE CAR DOES NOT SELL DURING THE AUCTION USUALLY THERE ARE OFFERS AND DEALS MADE AFTER THE AUCTION ENDS..

PERFECT 2001 RT-10s ARE OFFERED FOR SALE AND AFTER MONTHS OF ADVERTIZING THE HIGHEST OFFER IS ONLY IN THE LOW $50,OOO RANGE..

DOES THIS MEAN THAT A 2001 RT-10 THAT SOLD LESS THAN A YEAR AGO FOR $75,000 + $8,000 TAX/LICENSE IS GOING TO TAKE A $30,000 HIT IN THE FIRST 10-12 MONTHS...

THAT IS PRETTY SCARY!!

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many Vipers are actually sold on Ebay? I know a lot of people look, but I haven't heard of an actual buyer yet.

I know I wouldn't spend that kind of money on Ebay without knowing who I am buying from, and looking at the vehicle.

I also believe that a large amount of the cars that are on Ebay are all bid up by the person that is selling. Maybe I am just a skeptic, but when you look at half the stuff there it very rarely is sold for a bargain.

It also seems that your post was meant to excite and inflame people. I bought my Viper because I wanted it and if the "value" went down to $0 the next day I could really care less as long as it lives up to my expectations. I suspect the majority of the owners feel the same.

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

I bought my '99 on Ebay sight unseen. The price was right, and I have now owned it 4 months/3,000 miles and have been very pleased with the car. The only problem is that I now want the Roe S/C. I almost feel like an addict with this desire for more HP.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
puke.gif

OP
OP
E

EXECMALIBU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THERE ARE LOTS OF VIPERS AND OTHER EXOTIC CARS THAT ARE SOLD EVERY DAY ON EBAY!! CHECK THE COMPLETED AUCTIONS! I FOUND MINE ON EBAY..IT ARRIVED EXACTLY THE WAY IT WAS DESCRIBED! PERFECT!

IF I HAD PAID AN INFLATED DEALER PRICE I WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH SOME MODERATE DEPRECIATION...

I SAVED OVER $18K BUYING A SLIGHTLY USED 2001 RT-10 ..BUT NOW KNOWING THAT I COULD HAVE WAITED 3-4 MONTHS AND SAVED ANOTHER $10,000 ON THE EXACT SAME CAR WITH LESS MILES DOES MAKE ME A BIT NERVOUS!! HOW LOW WILL THE GEN II RT-10 PRICES FALL BEFORE THEY HIT BUTTOM?

I HAD NO INTENT IN STARTING A FLAME! I AM ONLY STATING THE FACTS CHECK THE OTHER POST FOR THE 2001 GTS NOT SELLING @$57,000!

ANYONE WHO SAYS THAT A 30% DEPRECIATION AND LOSING OVER $29,OOO IN LESS THAN 12 MONTHS DOES NOT BOTHER THEM IS EITHER LYING OR A FOOL..

I HAD HOPED THAT THE LAST SERIES OF THE RT-10 VIPER WAS GOING TO BE A MODEST INVESTMENT (DRIVE IT FOR 3-5 YEARS AND SELL IT FOR A 20%-30% LOSS) I NEVER EXPECTED IT WOULD IMMEDIATELY PLUMMIT IN VALUE.. I WONDER IF THE GUYS BUYING THE SRTs ARE GOING TO GET HAMMERED BY 30% IN A YEAR ALSO?? ARE THE SRTs GOING TO SELL FOR ONLY $60,000 NEXT DEC?? I HOPE NOT.. ..

HOW IS EBAY ANY DIFFERANT FROM BUYING ANY CAR USING HEMMINGS,THE ROBB REPORT OR ANY OTHER OUT OF TOWN PUBLICATION..YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO TRUST THE SELLER AND KNOW HOW TO ASK THE RIGHT QUESTIONS..

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be interested to hear from ANYONE who has purchased or sold a Viper in the last 30 days.

Seriously, getting over $50k for a GTS privately may be very difficult.

Also, GTS prices seem to be all the same with some premium for ABS models. As far as the difference between a 96 and 00, the average difference between like condition is probably $5k with $10k absolute freakish top, which is simply amazing.

Unfortunately, a lot of people are trading their Vipers in on the SRT. So if the demand does not increase, the Viper population will be diluted and prices will fall.

There may be a race to the finish line trying to unload Vipers before further price softening.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only fool here is you Exec. I also think you are just posting here to get people excited.

I travel to LA quite a bit and would love to see your car. Is it the Toyota or the Honda?

Most cars sold in Hemmings etc will have someone look at them before the purchase. If you like to buy things that are expensive from strangers, give me a call I have lots of great stuff to sell.

By the way many of those Ebay completed auctions are "sold" to a buddy and the transaction not completed. That's why you will see the cars over and over again.

By the $18k savings, are you saying you bought the car for around $50k? So what are you ******** about?

You're an idiot for posting in all caps by the way.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Exec Malibu,

Why do you post in all caps? This is considered very rude. Are you on webTV? Is there some reason you have to post in all caps?

Whatever....

Just wondering.....

-Vic

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MAN YOU ARE A TOOL!

ANY IDIOT THAT BUYS A NEW CAR SHORT OF A NEW MODEL FERRARI OR TOP LINE PORSCHE/LAMBO AS AN INVESTMENT HAS GOT TO HAVE A FEW SCREWS LOOSE.

IF YOU WANT A CAR TO INVEST IN LOOK AT 70-71 E-BODIES. I'M SURE YOU CAN CONTACT SOMEONE WITH 1/8 A BRAIN THAT CAN TELL YOU WHAT AN E-BODY IS.

Seroiusly, just drive your car and don't worry about it. If it concerns you that much, jump ship now bfore it's worth pennies!

Patrick99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EXECMALIBU,
I to am ********** about the falling prices. I have a 1997 GTS and a 1999 GTS. I purchased the 1999 GTS about six months ago for $55,000. I thought I was getting a steal for that price but I guess I was wrong. I guess I should have waited and got a much better price but I love it and wouldn't sell it anyway. I try not to worry about the prices falling so much but it just ****** me off to see the prices of the BEST AMERICAN SPORTS CAR GO DOWN THE TOILET.
Patrick

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't be ridiculous, nothing's going down the toilet. The GTS will always be the epitome of the American sports car. With brains, muscle, and beauty, the Viper's classic style will never go out of fashion. The economy may fluctuate, but the value will always remain. If you bought a bargain for a quick turnaround, I'm sorry, but it's only a paper loss unless you sell it today.

The pure courage to build such a car along with the limited quantities produced have created a market that is unique for the relative low cost of the Viper. I'd be a lot more worried if I had just spent three times as much on some "exotic".

Incidently, I'm not selling Microsoft at the moment either.

Please, NO CAPS.

Patrick99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sonny 00 GTS ACR,
I meant the prices and not the car at all. I love my vipers classic style. It truly is the best american sports car, but whats the point of going out and buying a new viper for around $70,000 grand when you pick a year old with a few thousand miles on it for around $50,000.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Think of it this way-

The economy is not too good, so car makers are giving cars away for 0 down, 0 interest, cash back, etc.

The ease of getting a new car right now is making the used car market VERY soft. This affects ALL cars, yes, even the Viper. A used car just doesn't have the financing available right now, so you have to discount the sale of used in order to move the product.

The SRT is coming out soon. Every person who wants one, unless they are pretty rich, will try to get out from under their GTS/RT, and sell it now in preparation to purchase the SRT.

So all of a sudden, and in a great big bunch, you've got a large block of people who are putting their cars up for sale. Motivated sellers! Also- some people may need to sell because of changing fortunes with the economy.

So at this moment, used Viper prices are plummeting artificially low. Its not over yet, and prices will continue to slide probably for months.

If we kick their *** and steal their gazz, oil prices will stabilize, and the economy will have new stolen life breathed into it for a little while, new car incentives will cease, and the used market will go back to "normal". This may take a few months. If we don't go in, our economy will continue to falter, due to the US $ losing seniorage rights to the Euro. Saddam was going to accept Euros for oil, an unpredecented event in the US dollar era. Also, one of the top suppliers of oil to the USA is Venezuela, who has petitioned the UN to accept Euros for oil. Saddam just said he'd take Euros outright, with any petition.

The trading of oil for USD is what allows us to print money out of thin air for international settlements. THe entire Western world, all the G7 nations need oil for their economies to work, so they must trade their own currency for US dollars, and they lose a bit in the exchange. This is where the Fed makes their money, in the exchange. If OPEC starts accepting Euros for oil, there won't be the great need around the world to buy dollars, and the US dollar house of cards tumbles. Our whole existence and economy is precariously balanced on a PERCEIVED value and usefulness of our currency. Instead of losing in the exchange of local currency to buy oil, Euro Zone nations can just use the Euro. If they don't have the pressing need to use dollars for oil, the USD will lose its privelidged status as the defacto heavy-weight reserve currency of the world. Our shaky financial structure will topple, unless we stop the advance of the Euro. Can you say "derivatives"?

Watch the news, for what happens in Iraq is laying the course.

Kick their ***, steal their gazz. If we don't stop the Euro from being accepted worldwide for oil, trillions and trillions of US dollars will be dumped around the world, and they will flow back to our shores in huge waves. Can you say "Weimar Republic"?

If nothing else, you can see that the used Viper market will be soft for some time to come, probably until after we kick Iraq's but . And we will. US and British planes just launched an attack on an oil company in Basra, that oversaw oil for food exchanges. We are putting the screws to Saddam at the same time as we ostensibly look for weapons. After the trouncing, then its party time again, at least for a while.

Oh, yeah, and I almost forgot. If we don't go in, then the terrorists win.

Howz that for getting off topic? (Its gotta be a record or something!) Hold your Vipers for a while! Heck, just hold 'em! Why sell such a classic? You'll be kicking yourself if you do!

Patrick99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vic,
Thanks for explaning the situation. It makes sense. I just don't know why people would even think about trading their beautiful viper for an ugly SRT. I know I sure wouldn't and most other members on the board I believe wouldn't either. Thank you

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ab:
That was sooo Damnn funny!! I died!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are welcome ab!
smile.gif

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fellas!, here is the verdict.

A REAL car enthusiast will never worry about falling prices, because he or she knows the market and value of their investment.

It is only people who have never seen money over react and cause a commotion for other investors or enthusiasts, just like many **** bags who go to auctions and don't know what the Fu*k is going on and disrupt the process, bid high and bi*ch about their purchase.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by picflight:
Fellas!, here is the verdict.

A REAL car enthusiast will never worry about falling prices, because he or she knows the market and value of their investment.

It is only people who have never seen money over react and cause a commotion for other investors or enthusiasts, just like many **** bags who go to auctions and don't know what the Fu*k is going on and disrupt the process, bid high and bi*ch about their purchase.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A-MEN!

The Viper is a passion, a hobby, most would call it a toy. How many things do you purchase with the intent of enjoying it? IS the Viper one of them? I bet. ANYONE, buying a Viper with illusion in their mind that it's only going to depreciate a couple K every year is nuts, this isn't 1995 with less than 10,000 copies in circulation. What is the market for used toy's (luxuries) around 50K? (especially nowadays) is there enough to keep Viper prices high? Probably not, just be happy that you drive the car that millions aspire to drive but have no financial backing to put their @ss in their dream. EXEC, if you want cars that are going NUTSO in appreciation right now and don't look to be comming down in price anytime soon, email me. Just have 100K+ to play with.

I know that it REALLY ***** to lose money, I HATE IT, but I don't view something I buy for entertainment or a hobby something that will be worth worth more than $0. What's the percentage of total depreciation on the computer you're posting from? Computers have got to be the fastest depreciating good in todays consumer marketplace. My point is, if I enjoy it, what do I care? Sure there are a lot of people that turn their hobbies into a profit, but I can assure you, once you turn that corner the time to enjoy your hobby is minimal to NIL!

FYI for anyone that follows the muscle car market, this 71 hemicuda just came on the market at $1 million, this is after 2 have sold in the past two or so weeks for $800,000.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
E

EXECMALIBU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IT IS PRETTY CLEAR THAT SOME OF THE PEOPLE THAT RESPONDED ARE OBVIOUSLY NOT IN TOUCH WITH REALITY..

VIPER FACTS:
1) FANTASTIC LOOKING
2) BLINDINGLY FAST
3) HANDLES AMAZING
4) ULTRA RARE/EXOTIC
5) VERY RELIABLE

IF WHAT SOME OF YOU ARE SAYING IS TRUE THAT MOST VIPER OWNERS DONT CARE ABOUT THE VALUE OF THEIR CARS BECAUSE THEY ARE JUST TOYS AND NEVER INVESTMENTS..

THEN EXPLAIN WHY SO MANY VIPERS ARE GARAGE QUEENS THAT ARE NEVER DRIVEN!! SOME OWNERS PUT ON 5 COATS OF WAX, 2 CAR COVERS AND LOCK THEM AWAY. THERE MUST BE A REASON WHY THE OWNERS DONT WANT TO RACK UP THE MILES. I KNOW THAT IT IS NOT A RELIABILITY ISSUE AND SINCE THE CARS ARE A BLAST TO DRIVE FOR WHAT OTHER REASON ARE THE CARS BEING SAVED??

THERE IS A VERY HIGH PERCENTAGE OF VIPERS THAT ARE AMOST NEVER DRIVEN..I HAVE SEEN AT LEAST 200 GEN I AND EARLY GEN II VIPERS OFFERED FOR SALE WITH LESS THAN 3,500 MILES. AMAZINGLY SOME OF THE EARLY GEN I CARS HAVE BEEN OFFERED WITH ONLY 1,600 ORIGINAL MILES AND OTHERS WITH EVEN LESS (LIKE THE 97 GTS CURRENTLY LISTED WITH ONLY 10 MILES!!!)..

TAKE A LOOK AT THE FOR SALE BOARDS ON THIS SITE THER ARE CURRENTLY 10 GEN I CARS LISTED FOR SALE WITH LESS THAN 3,500 MILES..

DO THE MATH!

SOME OF THESE VIPERS ARE DRIVEN LESS THAN 200 MILES A YEAR, SOME VIPERS HAVE NOT BEEN DRIVEN IN YEARS AND OTHERS WERE NEVER DRIVEN!

WHY?

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EXECMALIBU:

WHY?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why as why - drink Bud Dry...

... oh wait, they don't make that anymore do they?

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EXECMALIBU

I'LL TYPE IN ALL CAPS SO MAYBE YOU CAN UNDERSTAND.

NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR DRIVEL ON THIS SUBJECT.

DO YOU USE YOUR GOOD CHINA EVERYDAY? IS IT AN INVESTMENT?

CAN YOU EXPLAIN TO US HOW YOU SAVE $18K ON A 2001 AND COULD HAVE SAVED ANOTHER $10K BY BUYING ONE OF THE EBAY CARS FOR ~$50K? SO, DOING THE MATH AS YOU SUGGEST WOULD PUT YOUR COST AROUND $60K. ADD THE $18K AND YOU ARE AT $78K. SO IF YOU THOUGHT A 2001 USED SHOULD BE PRICED AT $78K YOU ARE PRETTY FOOLISH (THAT'S ABOUT $10K MORE THAN BRAND NEW).

NOW SEE IF YOU CAN UNSTICK THE CAPS LOCK KEY, OR HAVE YOUR DADDY COME AND DO IT FOR YOU.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
46Hemi,

Ususally these cars get listed at www.heminet.com I'm sure you're aware there's only like 9 71 Hemicuda converts ever produced so when these things get sold they usually go to a guy in a small group of collectors who can throw down that kind of $$. 1 million is rediculous $$$ but with people losing faith in the stock markets where is a better place to put the $$? These cars are nuts right now. 71 hemicuda convert clones (good ones) are going for 70K and up now on ebay.

My dad is headed to look at a 70 hemicuda convert this week to inspect it for a buyer of his. This car needs a total resto. The owner is asking $440,000.

The $1 million hemicuda is advertised in Hemmings motor news. There's a half page ad. Go pick up a copy and get the ad framed. Unfortunately it's not listed on the website. I'll scan the ad when I get home on thursday.

Exec,

have a look at this and have someone with a brain explain it to you:

FOR THE LAST TIME A VIPER IS A NEW CAR THAT IS STILL PRODUCED. YES I KNOW THE GTS AND RT/10 ARE NOT STILL PRODUCED BUT THERE ARE MANY NEW ONES STILL FOR SALE. IT WILL BE YEARS BEFORE THEY RECOVER THE DEPRECIATION THAT HAS BEEN LOST.

I ENCOURAGE YOU TO SELL YOUR CAR NOW, SUICIDE IS NOT THE ANSWER, IT'S JUST MONEY!

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig,
Still seems high but god bless them. My brother bought a 70 Hemi Challenger 3k mile survivor last year for a steal. It was sitting in some guys garage in NJ. It was recently written up in one of the major mags, the car is unreal. We have been involved in collecting Mopars for the lat 10 years and have been enjoying the recent rise in the values. Long live the HEMI!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll throw in a few thoughts here as well (and you know what that means - grab a chair). There are several reasons that the Viper market is soft right now. They have been mentioned before, but I will rehash them one more time:

1. The economy. It stinks right now and disposable income is not what it used to be. There are a lot of unemployed execs out there, including Yours Truly as of 12/15. People are being cautious about what they are buying, especially on something that may not be very practical.

2. The used car market. If you haven't seen the offerings by the Big Three of late, you have been under a rock. They have flooded the market with so many incentives that buying a new car made more sense for many people. Why pay 6% or more on interest rates on a used car when you can buy a brand new one at 0%? I traded in my used 2000 Yukon XL on a brand-new Denali XL and DROPPED my payments by $40 a month for the same loan period. The result is that there are a TON of used cars on the market right now and the glut has caused prices to drop even more.

3. eBay is NOT a good indicator of car prices, no matter how many sell there. Many buyers simply will not buy a car in this format. Heck, look at the prices at dealer auctions: While they obviously pay below market value so they can resell it, they are extremely soft on Vipers as it is difficult to know the history of the car even with a Carfax report in hand. Buying it from an eBay seller with a 0-10 positive feedback rating makes many buyers nervous. Likewise, many sellers put the car on eBay as a means of advertising and not to actually sell the car. They know they will get a TON of "hits" on the page, while the reserve price may make it difficult to sell. They count on people doing a private sale after the eBay ad grabs them. Would you pay more for a car you have seen and touched in person, or for that same one you had only seen posted in an eBay auction? There is a BIG difference and private party (face to face) sales are a much better indicator.

4. One word: SRT. If you wanted an SRT, you had to already have a Viper in your garage. Given #1 above, most had to sell their current car in order to buy the SRT. This resulted in 1000+ (and probably closer to 1500) used Vipers either on the market or about to be. This is unprecedented. Even when the 1996 GTS's were sold to existing owners, you didn't see this happen. Why? Less 1996 GTS's were produced than what is estimated for 2003. More importantly, the economy was booming and people could afford those extra toys in the garage. The bottom line is that you are seeing more Vipers on the market right now than ever before because many owners MUST sell them to make room in their garage or in their budget for a 2003.

5. Very few automobiles can be looked at as an investment, including the Viper. While they are certainly rare, it will be many, many years before they start demanding "collectible" prices. While we can talk about the various color schemes as being "limited" variations, the simple fact is that there are over 17,000 Vipers out there right now with very little difference between them. Sure, Gen I vs. Gen II, etc. But the fact remains that as much as 10% of the total production has been or will be up for sale in about one years time.

I think the market will level off as these "bargain" Vipers are snapped up and retained by their new owners. I think the GTS market will rebound first and many current buyers will be happy that they bought when they did. And one final comment as an aside to Patrick, who wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I just don't know why people would even think about trading their beautiful viper for an ugly SRT. I know I sure wouldn't and most other members on the board I believe wouldn't either.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Remember that you are insulting fellow Viper owners, including myself. It would be just as rude to say "The RT/10 is one ugly car - sure am glad I have a GTS!" While I won't hijack this thread and will make no excuses for the SRT, I can answer your question. While NOT ugly in and of itself, it definitely is not as stunning as the current Viper. However, it has:

1. Better brakes (night and day better)
2. Better power
3. Better handling (much)
4. Better stereo
5. Better A/C
6. Better ergonomics
7. Better seats
8. Better weight (lighter)
9. Better top (vs. RT/10)
10. Better wheels/tires (bigger)

While you said that most wouldn't trade their Vipers, obviously enough did to sell the SRT out in two weeks. Why? It is simply a better car. Definitely not as attractive in the eyes of most, but not everybody buys a car for the best looks they can find. With all of that said, I would not be surprised to see another GTS in my garage at some point in the not-too-distant future...

Chris

OP
OP
E

EXECMALIBU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIPAH

I GUESS YOU FLUNKED FIRST GRADE MATH AND READING..

I WILL LIST FOR YOU SO YOU CAN HAVE SOMEONE ELSE EXPLAIN SLOOOWLY WHAT ALL THESE NUMBERS MEAN..

1)THE MSRP ON THE 2001 WINDOW STICKER $75,750
2)MOST STATES HAVE A 5-9% TAX/LICENSE FEE $ 5,000(EST)
3)DEALER ADD ONS (FLOOR MATS,OTHER MISC) $ 200(EST)

TOTAL LIST PRICE OF A NEW 2001 VIPER (OUT THE DOOR) $80,950(EST)

I SAID THAT THE ORIGINAL OWNER TOOK A MINIMUN $18,000 HIT IN THE FIRST 8 MONTHS WHEN HE SOLD THE CAR IN MAY 2002.

IF YOU HAVE SOMEONE SMARTER THAN YOU SUBTRACT $18,000 FROM $80,950 THEY WILL GET $62,950

NOT THE $50,000 THAT YOU MENTIONED..

PLEASE HAVE SOMEONE READ TO YOU AND EXPLAIN WHAT THIS MEANS!

I SAID THAT I COULD HAVE SAVED ANOTHER $10,000 IF I HAD WAITED 4-6 MONTHS. SINCE THE 2001 RT-10s ARE NOW SELLING IN THE $52,000 PRICE RANGE.
$62,950
-$10,000
_______________ $ $52,950.

I HOPE THIS IS NOT TO COMPLICATED FOR YOU!