2000-2002 ACR TRACK SET UP !! NEED HELP/ SPECS

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Folks

I am hitting VIR in a week, and I want to adjust my ACR set up for best track adjustment. I talked to the Cones, and they recommendad Paul Mumfords set up (PMUM), but I searched all of his old posts, and I dont see where he told anyone what his set up was.

ANYONE WHO IS GOING FAST WITH A RACING DYNAMICS BASED VIPER ACR, PLEASE SHARE THE INFORMATION, or someone find me this MYSTERIOUS post that Janni and Henry feel the late great Mumford left us.

THANK YOU !!

Jon

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Top secret information.

Discover the meaning of life or become an alchemist, either of which will give you more success.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Top secret information.

Discover the meaning of life or become an alchemist, either of which will give you more success.

Wow.. now I understand !!

ok back to reality... KICK DOWN SOME SPECS FOLKS!! :)

JON

PS. Janni, Henry, either of you able to show this young buck how to use the search function?, because my skills apparently are 2 weak :)

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, great article, but that doesnt help me 1 bit. They pulled the stock suspension and put in an entirely different set up. I am looking for the BEST all around set up for the STOCK 2000-2002 ACR RACING DYNAMIC SHOCK set up. Can ANYONE help with that ?

Thank you.

Jon

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eric H,

Not going to help ?? I'm already faster then you with a STRICKLY street car, so If I'm screwed, you done for. Stop Hating.. Just cuz I waxed you at the DRag strip and stop ligh racing.. (your slow, so its not really fair fight).

Marv,

Thanks a bunch, but its definetly in the NEW system, becasue Mumford bought his ACR and started talking about it in 2002, which is the new system for the BBS right? Plus it even found his post about buying the new ACR.

Also, I did find that link you reference, but its talking about the konis and not any adjustments on the Racing Dynamics.

Chuck, I would contact Eric, if he knew anything about the ACR's stock Racing Dynamics, but they scrapped them for a whole different set up. And I happen to think The Racing Dynamics arent too bad, I just need the ball park set up, to get me rolling !!

I do appeciate all the help your guys are trying to give, at least I dont feel abandond :)

Thx.

Jon

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,

Looks like your gonna be on your own on this one. Its called testing & tuning. Messley is the man when it comes to suspension. Might want to find some others that might be able to help you out. North Carolina Viper Club has a vast amount of information. Do you belong to their club?

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you guys are confused.. I am NOT looking to drive a car just like mumford's. I was TOLD by Henry and Janni Cone, that Mumford (who was very quick on the track), had a post on viper club about HOW he set up his ACR racing Dynamics shocks. Thats alllllllllllllllll I am looking for, is someone to point me to that post, or to give me the same information. (I personally dont think the post exists).

Frank, if you look at who I got the information from, then you can guess that I am infact a member of the NC Club, and also a direct harrasser of our most valuable resource from that club, "The Cones !!"

Please excuse my frustration, I really was looking to get this car set up this weekend. Looks like I am going to have to hold out until I get an answer, and then at last minute if no one answers, I am just going to crank up the rebound and dampening to their stiffest settings.

Jon

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,
Sorry i don't usually check Avatars..Getting a set up for your car can be Very Frustrating. Eric Messley set up Mumfords cars. Eric Messley is the Suspension Guru. Find Eric Messley he might give you some pointers he might not.
Look in the Viper Days section maybe someone has posted some sort of specs. We can point you in a dirction but ultimately it is up to you to find your setup. Maybe Ken Hawkins can help you out.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Frank.

Again all these people are great at setting up THEIR cars, but when it comes to "generic" all around good specs to start with, you have to have someone proficient in driving THAT version of the car/set up to give you the ball park. Thats all I am looking for, how many clicks roughly, in what direction, etc. I have the ride height nailed down, the car is corner balanced, but now I need to know rebound and dampening settings, for these SPECIFIC brand of shocks. Which honestly, I know takes experience, and thats what I am trying to monopolise on is someones experience to help me out.

I just wish someone could give me the set up for the shocks like archer did when they did my track alignment, which is easily given based on specific specs/numbers and it gets you 90+% of the way there. (and for a novice like me, gets you 100% there until you can discern any appeciable differences from changing the set up).

Jon

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no one setup that works for EVERY car. There are many variables to that question. What is your alignment and corner weights? What tires and pressures? What are tire temps and how is the car handling? What is it doing in corner entry, midcorner and exit phases? All these things are things that you need to analize to setup each shock for the track. Also track temps create different settings that are or may be needed. What pressures are the shocks set at and these need to be set right before each session on the track. All these things are info to setting up a car for racing.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no one setup that works for EVERY car. There are many variables to that question. What is your alignment and corner weights? What tires and pressures? What are tire temps and how is the car handling? What is it doing in corner entry, midcorner and exit phases? All these things are things that you need to analize to setup each shock for the track. Also track temps create different settings that are or may be needed. What pressures are the shocks set at and these need to be set right before each session on the track. All these things are info to setting up a car for racing.

Thanks Mike, are you done? Jesus, so lets pull back all the posts that people put on the Koni set up, and how to ball park those.. right?

I am asking a simple question.. thats all, whats a general all around good set up for the Racing Dynamics for me to start with.

I can give you all that information if your really going to do some analysis for me, but I have a feeling your not, your just busting my balls on a simple fact that we all, already know. But you HAVE to start somewhere.. THATS what I am asking for.

Sorry if I seem agitated, I am.

Jon

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not busting your stones, but it is just what you really need to look at every track to optimize what the shocks need to have done. It depends on alot of different things.

The best place to start therefore is at the middle settings. This is called the baseline. Make sure the pressures are set right.

Then from there adjust the bump or rebound depending on what the car is doing. You cannot say lets add 2 clicks rebound and say 3 clicks bump and say that is the setup. It just doesn't work that way.
To set the baseline check the amount of clicks on both bump and rebound and the middle is the baseline for both. Start there. A good book to read and they have a cheat sheet for you to understand the basics is Carol Smiths tune to win.

Hope that helps.

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Give me a call and I can give you a reasonable setup for that track. The best alignment for you depends on the tires you use and your driving style. Most track alignments are similar, but differ depending on the type of track (clockwise or counterclockwise, and how fast the turns are.)

The dynamic shocks are a compromise as they lack rebound dampening and often leak. When properly setup, they are better than the stock shocks.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike H,

Thank you, THAT was more informative, and at least now I have a decent take away, which is to invest in a the Carol Smiths's book.

Dan,

Thank you very much. If you already know the leaky secret about the damn Racing Dynamics then it definetly sounds like you have been around one or two :) I will definetly give you a call. I have my "alignment sheet" right here with me, its the alignment that Archer Racing recommends, I'll provide that information too, if you need it. Also, I am a little suprise you say it lacks rebound dampening, because rebound is one of the settings that is adjustable, along with compression of course. I look forward to chatting with you.

Jon

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FINALLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.............

I WAS FORWARDED AN EMAIL FROM THE LATE GREAT MUMFORD !! Here is his recommendation for the Racing Dynamics ACR suspension:

"I seem to remember the stock springs being perfectly balanced. I would start with the stock setup. Run compression 4 out from max front and rear and rebound 6 out from max front 5 out from max rear to start." -Pual Mumford

Jon

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Paul was not fond of these shocks and scrapped them, but the little bit he entered is a start. I would give Dan Cragin a call and chat with him, as he helped Paul on numerous occasions and would be able to get you somewhat close. The Konis were much easier to balance, and the mid 2000 thru 2002 ACRs have been a puzzlement to track drivers since they were introduced. Dan's number is 800-841-8979 and his offer is your best bet by far.Good Luck!

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your tires, alignment and driving style all figure prominently into a quality recommendation on setup. Are you cut 'n thrust, super-smooth, early or late braker, curb hopper, like some push, or tail-out?

Before you go spending the next 3 weeks tracking down Erik, you had better have some track miles under your belt. AND, you also need to know where your shocks and tires were set when you were at the track.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a very compitent Viper racing family near by :) , and an offer was extended to me to get some sit down time with them, to disuss their lessons learned and ways to help me go faster and improve my track record (pun intended :) )

I guess this means, I will be learning my self what combination works best for me :)

Thanks to those that helped.

Jon