2001 vs. 2002

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am caught between a decision to purchase a 2001 (red, 10XXX miles) versus a 2002 (yellow, 28XXX miles).

Not sure if there is really more "investment value" of one year over the other, or whether one year has more to offer in terms of overall features, performance, problems, etc....so I thought I'd throw that question out to my fellow VCA cohorts for their thoughts and recommendations...

Thanks to all, and Happy New Year! :headbang:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think a red viper will be worth as much, just my opinion.

but id never buy any car based on future value.

what is the intended use of this car ?

OP
OP
Z

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think a red viper will be worth as much, just my opinion.

but id never buy any car based on future value.

what is the intended use of this car ?

The intended use would probably be the same as the Gen 1 that I have already...once in awhile cruises and to make my garage prettier...not to be used as a daily driver or anything..

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its not like the red car is LOW miles. pick which color you like better and go for it

OP
OP
Z

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh great the makings of another which is the best color thread.

LOL...sorry about that...:rolleyes:

Another question regarding price...both cars have a price tag of $32K. With that in mind, is one a better "deal" than the other?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You did not mention price..... that has to be a factor? 1 year newer but 2.8 times the miles?
Even the build numbers are very similiar..... Same black interiors? Do YOU like Yellow as much as red? (I like yellow more....it is less common overall) Both have complete histories, no stories?

Just because of the annoying and common H2O Pump issue on 2001, Id opt for 2002, esp if the price is the same due to higher miles!

Late H2O Edit Tnx D6

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
........... you were simultaneously reading my mind as I was composing-posting! Good Price, too! HAPPY NEW YEAR....start with a new SNAKE!

OP
OP
Z

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You did not mention price..... that has to be a factor? 1 year newer but 2.8 times the miles?
Even the build numbers are very similiar..... Same black interiors? Do YOU like Yellow as much as red? (I like yellow more....it is less common overall) Both have comoplete histories, no stories?

Just because of the annoying and common PSPump issue on 2001, Id opt for 2002, esp if the price is the same due to higher miles!

Jon,

Both are $32K. The yellow one's CARFAX shows that it spent lots of time in New York, which concerns me, due to possible rust/corrosion issues. And, since this particular car is out of state, I am not able to inspect it myself. Am asking for lots of pictures, but am still nervous about the rust issue...

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even the build numbers are very similiar..... Same black interiors? Do YOU like Yellow as much as red? (I like yellow more....it is less common overall) Both have comoplete histories, no stories?

Just because of the annoying and common PSPump issue on 2001, Id opt for 2002, esp if the price is the same due to higher miles!

Never heard of that. Did you mean water pump? Too much eggnog already? :boozer:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jon,

Both are $32K. The yellow one's CARFAX shows that it spent lots of time in New York, which concerns me, due to possible rust/corrosion issues. And, since this particular car is out of state, I am not able to inspect it myself. Am asking for lots of pictures, but am still nervous about the rust issue...

I bought an NY car once, that was so babied that it looked new. Is it still in NY...If so,
I bet someone at NY-NE Vca would do an inspect for a $100 donatuion to their local kids charity? Near Tator? Chuck "knows" many of the NY cars.....or KNEW this one

ditto for any other region....

runin1320

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A red owner voting for yellow? Now that is really saying something! :rolaugh:

For me...it was very important that I looked at the car before buying it. I didn't have a specific color that I was looking for other than if it was red, I wanted stripes. I'm very happy with the red/silver and it was a one owner car that I purchased from one of the most respected Viper dealers that is only a half hour away from me. If they had a solid yellow one with the same history and price...I would have bought it. :drive:

Sounds like either of the ones you are looking at are priced well. I doubt that Vipers get driven much in the winter, even in New York. Good Luck! :2tu:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dont sweat a NY car.

if its local, i am willin to help out and look at it for ya. tator is also in lower NYS. make sure to call chuck and let him run the VIN and tell you the warranty work done and he might know the car or owner.

DO NOT PUT TOO MUCH FAITH IN CARFAX !!!....carfax is a place to start at best !

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If color is not a decision point, then go with the '01 with 20K less miles. As far as I know (based on research and no actual dealings with an '02), there aren't many, if any, differences between an '01 and '02. The only thing that the '02 gets you is that it is the last year of the GEN II (may be more collectible, but then again yellow is more rare) :dunno:. Your welcome for this very useful post. ;)

OP
OP
Z

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK everyone....the votes have been tallied and I decided to go with the.........*drum roll, please*......

Yellow '02 RT/10.

Just called and "made the deal" over the phone. Now, it's a matter of getting some shipping quotes (from Georgia to Arizona)...

Thanks again, everyone! It's gonna be a great 2011! :2tu:

OP
OP
Z

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dont sweat a NY car.

if its local, i am willin to help out and look at it for ya. tator is also in lower NYS. make sure to call chuck and let him run the VIN and tell you the warranty work done and he might know the car or owner.

DO NOT PUT TOO MUCH FAITH IN CARFAX !!!....carfax is a place to start at best !

Thanks, PC...the car actually spent a lot of time in NY, but is now located in Georgia...but thanks for the offer to help out!

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best two years they made the Viper. I would go with yellow only because they made less of them than red ones. They made red ones every year but yellow was only made a few years.

But then I just noticed the mileage is much higher on the 02. Hmmmm... Keep looking for the Graphite or Sapphire w/stripes car. ;)

OP
OP
Z

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best two years they made the Viper. I would go with yellow only because they made less of them than red ones. They made red ones every year but yellow was only made a few years.

But then I just noticed the mileage is much higher on the 02. Hmmmm... Keep looking for the Graphite or Sapphire w/stripes car. ;)

Hmm...but then the '01 is a year older than the '02, so maybe it's a warsh (as they say in the midwest)...:lmao: