2002 battery

Matthew Klinger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My battery has gone south and I need to buy a new one. What size battery is in the 2002 GTS? I know about where it is, is it worth doing yourself if you do not have a lift? The garage quoted me 45 bucks

Thanks
Matt

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt,

I just replaced the battery in my '02 this past winter, go to Sears, get a battery from them because its literally guaranteed for like 7-8 years. It is a relatively easy install as well. Jack the car, (chock the wheels), remove the driver side rear wheel and begin removing the rear inner fender guard, I think it was 12 bolts and the panel was off.

After that it is really easy to remove and replace the battery...I think it was 45 minutes total and I wasn't rushing.

All metric sockets if that matters.

Regards,
Aaron

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My battery has gone south and I need to buy a new one. What size battery is in the 2002 GTS? I know about where it is, is it worth doing yourself if you do not have a lift? The garage quoted me 45 bucks

Thanks
Matt

Take out jack from car.
Loosen nuts on driver side rear wheel.
Place jack on jack lift point in front of rear driver side wheel.
Jack car.
Use jack stands and support rear of vehicle.
Take off nuts from rear wheel.
Remove three top bolts from plastic splash tray enclosing battery.
Remove bottom three bolts from plastic splash tray attaching tray to body
Remove frame bolt and plastic push pin connecting splash tray to frame
Remove splash tray.
Loosen battery clamp on bottom of battery tray.
Remove connections from terminals.
Replace battery.
Reverse order of steps above for reassembly.

Done.

First time you do it, it will take 1.5 hours as you will be careful.
Next time you do it, it will take 20 min.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do not, and I repeat, DO NOT buy an Optima Battery!!! Do not fall for the advertising, Optima batteries are garbage. I had 4 die in under 2 years! I installed a Werker battery last time (the only other type the store sold) and my Viper recently sat up for over 3 weeks without being touched. No charger or anything. I got in Sunday expecting it to be dead. It fired up like it was brand new!

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would DIY. You can get a very good battery at Wal-Mart for few $$$. If you have a decent jack / jack stands, this is a piece of cake.

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My batteries weren't dead but ViperTony's post encouraged my to check them out for corrosion. Thanks to him I got my '96 just in time to prevent more serious corrousion.

Definitely a DIY project.

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Matt -

I had to change out the battery on my 2001 the other day. It is worth doing yourself if you have the time just to get 'in touch' with your car. I went with the Sears Diehard Gold (about $100 right now) rather than the Platinum version at almost 2x the price. Their computer will confirm the size, but you'll need a series 78 (or 75 if you want to be safe on the size). With an '02, you should be fine with the 78. Do a forum search for battery changes - there's a couple mini-tutorials posted with photos. I was fortunate - original Mopar battery and not a lick of corrosion anywhere!

FYI - Sears quoted me $30 to change the battery, but ended up doing it myself!

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have tried the Sears gold (twice) and they did not last that long but the DURALAST form Auto Zone is the best. Its about the same price too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte