2002 GTS Purchase

GViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, I need a little help.
I have done a alot of research and need your help.
I have decided on a 2002 Graphite with stripes. This is my favorite color. I know that they did not make many, but what do you think I can get a really nice one for?

Also, I decided on the 2002 because I figured that the last year of production would be the most developed?

Was there any differences in this year versus earlier?
Any problems that I should look out for?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
George

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try contacting Bill Pemberton @ woodhouse dodge (site supporter). He might have a good idea. I know Bernie Katz (I think I spelled that right) of BJMotors.biz (site supporter as well) Has at least one if not two of that very car you are looking for. i don't know what your price range is but I have always said that if its the car you really want...just go for it. :)

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if your search is that narrow. you'll have to pay up, for the car.

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I chose an 02 for several reasons, most developed, bugs worked out(relatively) last year Gen 2, ABS brakes (Vipers before 01 don't have them and in road test after road test in various mags. of the time, non- ABS brakes were always pointed out as the only weakness the Viper had performance wise.) Some people like the lumpier cam and forged pistons of the 99 and earlier models, but performance-wise there is very little if any difference stock for stock. And, if you decide to mod the engine, unless you are really going to bump up the horsepower alot, you don't need forged pistons. I also chose an ACR because of the Viper pedigree, relatively fewer made, and I love the wheels. I don't plan on any major mods. In this part of the country you might see 5 Vipers a year on the streets and highways-and that's more than enough exclusivity for me. This car turns heads so when you get your Viper expect and savor the attention. Get the color you really want-nothing else will do in the long term.

OP
OP
G

GViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is the problem. I really do not want to pay up for that color, especially in this market. I am coming form an 02 vette and now currently have an 07 jeep srt8. While I love it, it is not a viper. Why spend money making it faster when the viper is already really fast.

BJ does have two like I want but his prices are really high. One is $64,000 and the other is $57,000.

What would be a good price to shoot for?

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Below $50K unless the miles are extremly low.
I guess I was lucky, red always said Viper to me and was always my choice even though red is the most common color. Have you considered a final edition, they are "in demand"? An ACR in any color is a good choice, but they do have a fairly harsh ride. The ACR shocks also need a rebuild from time to time.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It appears you are set on graphite. According to the registry, there are 160 or so of them...60 with factory stripes. BJ typically has top notch cars but you pay for them. These look like nice low mileage cars.

If you want to save some $$$, search autotrader, the bay, or check the VCA classifieds. Just beware that a lot of cars have stories behind them and not everything shows up on a carfax. BJ would be a reputable person to deal with...did you call him to discuss yet? Maybe he'll work with you?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done a alot of research and need your help.
Was there any differences in this year versus earlier?
Any problems that I should look out for?

Certainly no disrespect to a guy claiming to have done his homework, but those 2 questions above are indicative of lack of some very basic Viper information. Makes me question what your sources were for your research if those topics weren't covered.

There are several books available on Vipers that are good reading for the new buyer. Doing a little searching here at the forum, or just hanging out for a while reading what everyone talks about will be a good education. There's also the Viper Registry. I think this site has a link to that.

Regarding the color you have decided on, there's plenty of entertainment available about color choices. One train of thought is that RED is the highest production number because it's also the most desirable. And your choice is lower numbers because no one wanted one. And now the sellers play those figures to your disadvantage. They take the opposite stance. They didn't make many, and if you want one you will pay. But no real explanation as to why they didn't make many LOL.

Anyway, good luck with your search.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is the problem. I really do not want to pay up for that color, especially in this market. I am coming form an 02 vette and now currently have an 07 jeep srt8. While I love it, it is not a viper. Why spend money making it faster when the viper is already really fast.

BJ does have two like I want but his prices are really high. One is $64,000 and the other is $57,000.

Bernie has nothing but TOP quality cars. The Graphite/Silver is also a very rare color combo and in my opinion one of the best combo's made. I was faced with this exact decision a few years ago when I fell in love with a Sapphire/Silver car that Bernie had and it was priced a little high similarly to the 02 he has now and have to say I am happy I spent the extra money a got a quality car and it was exactly what I wanted. Just do it. Bernie may have a little room to work with, make him a reasonable offer and get the car of your dreams.

Sure you may be able to find one cheaper but it will most likely take a long time to find one and it also may not be half the car Bernie's is. Would you rather find one with higher mileage for 45 and have it turn out to be a nightmare or even just not perfect or be driving the car of your dreams right now. Some peole get lucky and steal the car of there dreams in this economy but nice Graphite/Silver or Sapphire/Silver cars are FAR and FEW apart.

Good luck with your search. Steel gray/Silver is also nice if you can live without ABS. I would get the 02...

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Certainly no disrespect to a guy claiming to have done his homework, but those 2 questions above are indicative of lack of some very basic Viper information. Makes me question what your sources were for your research if those topics weren't covered.

There are several books available on Vipers that are good reading for the new buyer. Doing a little searching here at the forum, or just hanging out for a while reading what everyone talks about will be a good education. There's also the Viper Registry. I think this site has a link to that.

Regarding the color you have decided on, there's plenty of entertainment available about color choices. One train of thought is that RED is the highest production number because it's also the most desirable. And your choice is lower numbers because no one wanted one. And now the sellers play those figures to your disadvantage. They take the opposite stance. They didn't make many, and if you want one you will pay. But no real explanation as to why they didn't make many LOL.

Anyway, good luck with your search.

Agree with the above.....except for the Red thing. :D

Honestly, you want a very hot color combination, but don't want to pay for it. If I told you that I want a Ford GT, but only wanted to pay 100k for it, most would scoff. It is the same deal. There, unfortunately, is a cost of entry into the Viper game. It can be high.

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One is $64,000 and the other is $57,000.

Instead of looking for a "good deal" price, look for what you are getting for the money you initially spend.

Is 64K too much for a prime example? Not if its exactly what you want and it needs nothing but gas and a new owner.

Is a 50K car too much? Yes it may if it needs 10K worth of work, has a poor history, etc. and then you still end up with a worn out example.

You also have to consider what you want to do with your new Viper.

If you plan to track it,drag race it or use it everyday as a daily driver...then go for a higher miles, well used but taken care of example.

If you plan to use it as a show piece that is only driven on sunny days...then a 60K+ pampered version is for you.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regarding the color you have decided on, there's plenty of entertainment available about color choices. One train of thought is that RED is the highest production number because it's also the most desirable. And your choice is lower numbers because no one wanted one. And now the sellers play those figures to your disadvantage. They take the opposite stance. They didn't make many, and if you want one you will pay. But no real explanation as to why they didn't make many
QUOTE]

So True Dave! :2tu:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm also shopping for a GTS... not necessarily a 2002 and I know color prefernce is subjective but the Graphite is my least favorite. Nice color but A Viper looks more appropriate in something that stands out a little more IMO.

In a 2002 the Red Final Edition or a Bumble Bee would be my preference... I like the steel gray on the 2000s but they don't have ABS if that's what you want. Of course few if any car ever built looks better than the 96-97 Blue/Whites IMO.

wkdviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was in the exact same situation, I wanted the Graphite/stripes because I love it, and NO ONE around here has this colour. And I have to tell you everyone loves it. Stick with your gut, and wait for a graphite/stripes. You will not be disapointed.

Cheers
Steve

You must be registered for see images attach

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One train of thought is that RED is the highest production number because it's also the most desirable. And your choice is lower numbers because no one wanted one. And now the sellers play those figures to your disadvantage. They take the opposite stance. They didn't make many, and if you want one you will pay. But no real explanation as to why they didn't make many LOL.

Simple economic principles of supply and demand discredit your theory.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple economic principles of supply and demand discredit your theory.
Thank you Toby. You hit the nail on the head. I like red cars but could never own one. This is why they make both salt and pepper. That said red was made just about every year and colors like Graphite and Sapphire were one year colors that they did not make many of. I paid top dollar for my 985 mile Sapphire/Silver and have no regrets.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, that nail was hit squarely on the head for anyone building storage coffins for cars.

OR, maybe the reason they only made a few of those weird colors for very few years is that nobody bought them.

I have a hard time seeing Dodge and their Viper group as being anything like some of the super exotic kind of cars where the desire precedes the production. Let's try something new and if it doesn't sell we won't do it anymore! Said the marketers at Dodge. LOL.

So from a rarity standpoint, and given the numbers quoted in a post above, there's about 100 non-striped graphite cars. They only made 108 solid red cars in 2001 with black interiors, the year of mine.

Hmmm. A rare red car?

And why not get one of the red/gold 1 of 7 cars? 1 of 7!!!

Nothing against graphite, but the war on why the made what they did will carry through eternity.

JeffM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm contemplating selling my 1 of 36 2001 Red w/ Silver stripes GTS. Car has Roe S/C and 17K miles on it. (less than 1K with S/C installed).

You must be registered for see images

Tagoo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GViper - Make sure you get the car you really want. I bought my first Viper (red '02 RT/10) because it was for sale locally. I was never happy with the color or the fact that it was a convertible. I ended up selling it to get the car I really wanted - an '00 Steel Gray / Silver GTS. I wish I had just bought what I really wanted to begin with. I would have saved a few $K.

Also, ABS has been mentioned. Tom's 40mm brake upgrade is only about $700 resolves most of the issues of the non-abs vipers. Just a thought.

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If color is most important... be ready to pay out the nose or be very patient.

My main criteria was ABS... so, 2001/2002. I wanted black, graphite or yellow. The graphite cars were priced $10k to $20k higher than black and yellow. The black car I had someone inpspect was beat up....

Found a yellow w/ 7k miles from AZ, all paperwork, receipts , one, owner, window sticker, etc...

Could not be happier!

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Instead of looking for a "good deal" price, look for what you are getting for the money you initially spend.

Is 64K too much for a prime example? Not if its exactly what you want and it needs nothing but gas and a new owner.

If you plan to use it as a show piece that is only driven on sunny days...then a 60K+ pampered version is for you.

Hi Toby. My buddy Cary, one of the guys I told you about that moves high end cars, just sold a 2002 ACR with 7963 miles on it for 52900.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stick with your color dude! I chose yellow and then had to wait a few months for a few to come up in my price range. BE patient. Thjis is a good market to be buying in, so keep your eyes open. I would say 40 -50s are not unreasonable for a nice condition car. Color does not see to play that much of a roll on price. Unless you are red. No one wants those!:lmao:

Best of luck!

OP
OP
G

GViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, some very informative posts. I appreciate what everyone has to say. 99VPRGTS, your friend who sold the 02 ACR for $52,900 had a good price.

I plan on buying one that is mint, so I guess that I have to expect to pay up. I will email BJ to see what kind of wiggle room he has.

Again thanks for the help

p.s. I am a vette guy, so most of my knowledge is there. I appreciate any advice I get in regards to the viper!

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try to sell a grey Ferrari, or better yet, a Peugot....supply and demand? Not so simple.

Actually in the Ferrari scene, the buyer who prefers something other than the typical red / tan pays a premium unless it's a goof ball special order color.

This is rare and if you want one, you have to pay extra for it....

You must be registered for see images attach

If you want a red one...

You must be registered for see images

every Ferrari dealer and ebay is overflowing with them. Cost can be reduced greatly as you can play them off each other until you find the bottom.

Peugeot? :dunno:

again... supply and demand.

Signed,

It's so much fun wasting time with these silly topics.

Last edited:

PittsS2B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may want to look at year 2000 steel gray. Its a little lighter than graphite and 'pops' more in the sun.

PICT0690.JPG

PICT0648.JPG

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone please explain to me the logic behind why high demand colors are made in low production numbers?

Dumb logic. Terribly dumb.

You know, there's a reason that they're making a lot of 42" plasma TV's these days, not 13" plasma TV's. THAT'S WHAT PEOPLE WANT!

Same as with RED.

Sorry, the supply and demand theory holds water like Fred Flinstone's floorboard.

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Three most popular colors:

Black (with and w/o Stripes) :)
Graphite or Sapphire
BumbleBee

The B/W is popular too but since we are talking about late model GTS's... that is the list... :)

Last edited:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like Bernie already sold one of his Graphite/Silver. I figured the cheaper one would not last long.

My best advice is get what/the color you want and get a quality car. The experience will be so much better and well worth the extra money you pay.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960