2002 RT/10 FIRE!!!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh my god, that is a horror story! Sound like the guy is OK, that's the best news. I think someone, from CAAP to the dealership, is going to have to answer for that situation. I hope he is not turned off of our beloved car.

Mike

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, today was a sad Viper day in Dallas. I had encouraged this local Corvette owner to take the plunge a while back. Sadly, his new pride and joy burned to the ground.... less than a mile from my own house. I'm just glad he got the thing stopped and escaped in time.

I know we always talk about the number of Vipers that are "lost" to accidents in the early days of ownership, but 15 miles and 15 minutes from delivery probably has to be a new record.

I'm going to be taking a look at the car tomorrow, but liability wise I probably will not be able to comment publicly, at least until the owner gets it all sorted out with the insurance.

He had only been a new VCA member for 15 minutes, but that's long enough! He will have all the local help and support his fellow local members are able to provide in the Dallas area.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's BAD news.

I had a Fiat once and just replaced the belts and hoses, and also gave it a tune-up. Then one of the new fuel lines had a pinhole and the engine caught fire. I pulled into a bowling ally and put the fire out with two of their extinguishers. It was a scary incedent even though the car was repairable.

Also, a couple weeks ago I was stopped at a traffic light at night and saw this Ford Taurus making a turn beside me. There was a trail of flames pouring out from the engine, and when he accelerated the flames grew twice the size. YOW!

He stopped the car and knocked on the closest home's door. I turned my car around to see if he was OK and he came running out to the car (which was still ablaze) and poured a large salad bowl of water on the engine which put it out.

The car was still there a week later looking quite a mess in the daytime, so it was probably toast.

At least nobody got hurt with the Viper, and I'm sure that DC will cover it. I hope that your friend doesn't get put off of Vipers because it sounds like a freak accident for any new car.

-Dean.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW! That's incredible!
Glad to hear everyone is OK! I know took me some time to get used to the reversed seatbelt also!
I've never heard of something like that happening! I am interested, as everyone else, as to what caused this!
I would hope that DC would have a New Viper for this guy immediately! I would call them directly and explain the situation, you would think they would be very helpful, and probably scared to death of a lawsuit!
I am anxious to see the pictures!
Once again, glad to hear that everyone is OK!

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
unreal!!
very scary indeed!!!
you can only hope that DC would send someone from CAAP to investigate this too. You would think they want to know what happened too! Also make it right by helping him clear this mess and get him back into a new viper.

I am glad to see that no one was injured.

JIM

Hisser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW...things happen. Just glad everyone got out alright. I have had 4 Vipers over the years and NEVER broke down on the road, or has any of the ones I have had had any major problems and the wife and I have travel the U.S. in my 98 and 99.

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BSchillinger:
Insurance? He should get his money back from the dealer on that one, with no questions asked.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definitely!! He should have gone straight back there & got every penny back. No insurance Company should be involved
confused.gif
confused.gif

Glad to see both people got out OK! Judging by his story, the driver almost didn't make it! Panic could've set in and it could have been worse. (because he couldn't find the seat belt release)

CLOSE CALL!

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should be covered by warranty? A part under warranty broke.. and took some other bits out with it...

"I'd like to claim warranty on this $10 fuel hose.. oh, and uh, could you just take a loookkk...."

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It doesn't look that bad. ;) YOW!!

I bet we see the car up for sale on E-Bay in a couple months time listed as an "easy rebuilder".

It kinda reminds me of Remster's car with the flame paint job. But to get the real big bucks, you need to throw a couple trout on the valve covers and call it art.

-Dean.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marc,

HOLY CRAP!!! Glad you're OK.... Also glad you liked the "feel".. All 15 minutes of it
smile.gif

Looks like Dodge better send that car back and go over it with a fine tooth comb so this doesn't happen again...

That car look ummm, errr, burnt? "crispy yellow.."

Gerald

Viper99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aaaaaah, a little duct tape and you'll be good as new!
Seriously, though, that is an unbelievably horrible story. I can't imagine the range of emotions from the high of picking the car up to the lows of the confusion and I'm sure a little anger as a brand new car burns up right in front of you.
I'm sure all will end well.
Keep us posted, we're rooting for you!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Viper99:
Aaaaaah, a little duct tape and you'll be good as new!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Duct tape? I was thinking a little Zaino myself...

Marc -

Sorry to hear of (and see) your loss. I am sure it will be rectified quickly and painlessly for you. This is the first I have heard of this happening, so it would appear to be a complete fluke. I am glad to hear that you and your passenger were OK. I am also glad to see you have a good sense of humor about it ("Cajun Viper"
laugh.gif
), as it's really all you can do at this point.

Hope to see you in your new Viper very soon. Make sure you keep a crispifried piece of your "old" Viper as a souvenir. I would pry off that front badge myself...

Keep us posted!

Chris

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marc:

Glad you two are OK but the car is a mess! Bat $hit - apple butter! Hope DC just flips you another vehicle just like that one was prior to the fire (less the fuel leak)!!! Welcome to the VCA Forum!

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Marc,

Sorry to hear of your experience. When you get your new RT, let me know and we'll give you a free 2.5 lbs Halotron gas fire extinguisher. It mounts with a bracket to the passengers seat track. Hopefully, it will give you a little piece of mind in addition to the safety it adds. Glad to hear you and your passenger are safe.

Sean

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VettetoViper:
(snip)
Well, I decided to buy back my Vette (I do miss it) and also get another 2002 Yellow RT-10. Marc

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Marc -

I strongly believe for any bad that occurs something good always evolves -- Already evident; thank goodness your ok! I'm most certain DC won't let you down on this one, even more evident by their strong support we've always received in the past.

Any questions you may have about your VCA membership, give your Regional President -or- Mr. Tony Estes (National VCA President) -or- even myself a call
smile.gif
- I know we all want you as a loyal member (especially enthusiastic ones) to be a part of our passion!

Welcome back to the Viper Nation
bounce.gif
!
Doug Levin

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean,
what no sale yet?
laugh.gif

just purchased a nice red fire extinguisher... will have it painted viper yellow to match.

viper fire extinguisher $109
having a fire extinguisher when you need it priceless
embarass.gif

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Marc,
First of all glad you are O.K.! Do you know when you are getting your replacement Viper? Look forward to meeting you at our club meetings and getting more detail on what caused the problem other than the fact that you got a " lemon "
laugh.gif
Are you getting yellow again?

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sean Roe:
Marc,
Sorry to hear of your experience. When you get your new RT, let me know and we'll give you a free 2.5 lbs Halotron gas fire extinguisher. It mounts with a bracket to the passengers seat track. Hopefully, it will give you a little piece of mind in addition to the safety it adds. Glad to hear you and your passenger are safe.
Sean
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pure Class!

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marc,

Heard about your car from K.Laxson at Huffines Dodge...great to know that you and your passenger are o.k. You know what they say..."gotta get back in the saddle asap"...and make it another yellow one...

CStegall

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marc, When it gets tough you know that it'll just get better.

Hang in there, Its good to see you both not hurt, as for the
car, I know things will work out for the best.. just give
it some time.

Let me know if you need some help with something around here.
I live about 2 miles from where your car was....

Based on your description of 14 miles, I assume you got the car
in Mckinney.... they seem to be pretty nice folks and between
them and Dodge it'll all work itself out.

Hope to see you at some of the North Texas Viper Club events
soon, I just joined up myself too. :)

Dixter

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marc,
i understand... enough guys on the board now know of your situation and someone in the higher ups of DC really needs to
take ownership of this problem and see to it that you get a
new viper and a big apology (maybe a nice fruit basket
laugh.gif
)
ASAP.

Tony, Joe, can you hook Marc up with someone in the higher
ups ASAP??

good luck

JIM

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Marc,
The only thing I can think of to cheer you up is that even if you had a replacement Viper or your Vette you would probably not be driving it today or tomorrow in and around DFW. Roads are too dangerous due to ICE and too dirty ( sand & chemicals ). Hopefully, DODGE will get you in a new one this week and you can come to our meeting on the 9th. If they give you back your Vette for awhile you can still park with us.
laugh.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang