2003-2010 Model year exhaust differences?

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Would there be any notable changes throughout the years?

Did the ACR have different exhaust system?

Can exhaust/header systems interchange throughout 2003-2010?

I have a 2005 SRT10 and would like to upgrade the exhaust.
Considering headers etc.... Would also consider ACR take offs if they are better than stock SRT stuff.

Suggestions?

JPUConn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just swapped my stock gen3 cat back for a gen 4 takeoff. Muffler is stamped with same part number, crossover eliminated plus one extra clamp on each side.

lmcgrew79

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have 08 cats and exhaust what is the going price ill sell them.

Pretty sure stock acr is exactly as srt10

OP
OP
T

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just swapped my stock gen3 cat back for a gen 4 takeoff. Muffler is stamped with same part number, crossover eliminated plus one extra clamp on each side.

thanks for the info!
Yes, eliminating the crossover is where i would like to be! My stock exhaust is beginning to sound leaky..... i had the manifolds serviced but it still sounds leaky somewhere......

Mind you i have 40000 miles on her now.

I would like the stock Gen4 stuff or even mopar headers/exhaust.

OP
OP
T

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So,

If i want to remove the cross over, what else do i need or put in its place?

Also, if i want to remove the cats, what do i need to accomplish that?

AND, i if switched to Mopar ACR headers, will they fit onto the existing cat-back?

CPPRHD265

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the heads on an 08+ were different enough to prevent using the headers on a gen 3 car?

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So,

If i want to remove the cross over, what else do i need or put in its place?

Also, if i want to remove the cats, what do i need to accomplish that?

AND, i if switched to Mopar ACR headers, will they fit onto the existing cat-back?

Look under your car, just in front of the rear wheel-- you will see an exhaust tube taking a 90 degree bend and running across to the other side (to the side pipe exit). The sidepipe assembly rear of the muffler is designed to utilize the crossover, but a muffler shop could cut off the tips, remove the crossover pipes, and weld in a custom rear section from the muffler to the exit tip. Most people accomplish this with an aftermarket muffler (such as a Corsa) or a Gen IV take-off muffler.

Careful with removing all the cats-- you might regret it. Car will get quite a bit louder, the exhaust fumes will be much more noticeable, and you will have to "trick" the ECU into not throwing CELs due to the oxygen sensor fail codes. It is possible to "gut" the secondary cats (inside the side sills) and not have any issues; as long as the primary cats are in fine shape the car will even pass a smog test in most cases. Another consideration when removing all the cats is the flex pipe on the input side of the primary cat... because the muffler is fixed to the car body and the engine is rocking on rubber mounts, you need some "give" in the exhaust system following the headers to keep the movement of the engine from destroying your mid-pipe between the headers and the muffler section. Stock primary cats have this flex pipe section built-in.

Mopar headers for the Gen IV /ACR-X fit only Gen IV heads, won't work on a Gen 3.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Look under your car, just in front of the rear wheel-- you will see an exhaust tube taking a 90 degree bend and running across to the other side (to the side pipe exit). The sidepipe assembly rear of the muffler is designed to utilize the crossover, but a muffler shop could cut off the tips, remove the crossover pipes, and weld in a custom rear section from the muffler to the exit tip. Most people accomplish this with an aftermarket muffler (such as a Corsa) or a Gen IV take-off muffler.

Careful with removing all the cats-- you might regret it. Car will get quite a bit louder, the exhaust fumes will be much more noticeable, and you will have to "trick" the ECU into not throwing CELs due to the oxygen sensor fail codes. It is possible to "gut" the secondary cats (inside the side sills) and not have any issues; as long as the primary cats are in fine shape the car will even pass a smog test in most cases. Another consideration when removing all the cats is the flex pipe on the input side of the primary cat... because the muffler is fixed to the car body and the engine is rocking on rubber mounts, you need some "give" in the exhaust system following the headers to keep the movement of the engine from destroying your mid-pipe between the headers and the muffler section. Stock primary cats have this flex pipe section built-in.

Mopar headers for the Gen IV /ACR-X fit only Gen IV heads, won't work on a Gen 3.

You are the man!

OP
OP
T

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
just so i am clear, the 2008 manifolds will not fit on a 2003-2006?

OP
OP
T

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
for those looking to use gen 4 exhaust take offs on their gen 3. What parts are required from the gen 4?

Reaction score
The Corsa catback is the most popular option, it has no drone and zero restriction.

I would encourage you to get the Gen4 headers instead of stock Gen4 manifolds if you are going this far, you will need them to get the power you are looking for.

so, what is the choice gen 4 style muffler nowadays?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Corsa catback is the most popular option, it has no drone and zero restriction.

I would encourage you to get the Gen4 headers instead of stock Gen4 manifolds if you are going this far, you will need them to get the power you are looking for.

thanks, but i have a 2005, thus i can only do the gen 4 mufflers and not the headers..... but this is why im considering the mopar power upgrade :)

Reaction score
I meant if you are doing the upgrade, I know they won't work if you are stock, I assumed that is what we were talking about, sorry.

thanks, but i have a 2005, thus i can only do the gen 4 mufflers and not the headers..... but this is why im considering the mopar power upgrade :)

OP
OP
T

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
just picked up a set of Mopar gen 4 style mufflers for 450 bucks! Going to try them before i consider dropping the cats with the mopar race exhaust system.

also going to see if my manifolds are cracked or leaky..... may switch to headers if they are beyond repair.....