2003 engine in a 2005

XLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will an 03 engine work in an 05? I know the crank sensor is in a different place but as long as the correct wiring harness is used for the engine, will it just plug in and work? Or is the wiring harness plug different? Or is there a different signal for the crank sensor?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you install knock sensors onto it [we make mounts for this] and use a hybrid wiring harness [make these too...], yes, it will fit no problem.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What type of hybrid wiring harness? Are the knock sensors required?

The hybrid harness would include knock sensor wiring & 05/06 chassis connector, but have an extension & connector for the older style crank trigger at the flywheel location.

Knock sensors would be required in this case since the car will still be running an 05-06 PCM. [though you could skip them and take the opposite approach- delete the knock sensors, extend the wiring, and run an 03/04 PCM]

OP
OP
X

XLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems like deleteing the knock sensors is the way to go. Why would I need to extend the wiring? If I put the 03 PCM in the car wont it just plug in?

How about going the other way and puting an 05 engine in an 03?

Thanks

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It seems like deleteing the knock sensors is the way to go. Why would I need to extend the wiring? If I put the 03 PCM in the car wont it just plug in?

How about going the other way and puting an 05 engine in an 03?

Thanks

Since the wiring is already there on the chassis side, adding the sensors is just as simple. You may as well use them if you can! You have to extend the wiring because the sensors on the engine are not in the same places, and the wiring harnesses for the engine are different as a result. The PCM's will indeed plug into either car- but the harnesses that attach everything on the engine/chassis side arent the same- thats where your main problem lies.

Going in the other direction is just the opposite problem set, can be dont just the same. [my 2004 runs a 2006 engine/PCM/wiring system w/knock sensors]

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
General Jackson