2005 SRT with KW Coilovers- Got a question-

95BlackZ28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. So I bought my 05 Vert SRT-10 last October from a forum Member, and have been enjoying it ever since. The car is absolutely incredible. Had 8800 miles on it when I bought it and now has 12,400! Already drove it to Vegas and did a track day at the new Chuckwalla track near Palm Springs. I have had corvettes, M3's, M5's...and nothing even compares to this car. It's unreal and brings a smile to my face every time I drive it-

Anyway, the previous owner did tons of work to the car, including KW Variant 2 Coilovers. Unfortunately the car isn't set up very well in the rear for the track. Basically any mid-corner throttle adjustments makes the car get super squirmy in the rear... also, no trailbraking is possible without the car almost spinning. I think it needs to have some more rebound dialed in , but I'm not sure how to access the rear shocks to do this. I discovered this at the track a couple months ago and we're heading out again on the 15th and I'd like to have this remedied if possible. I drove my buddies Z06 on the track and it felt absolutely planted compared to the Viper. I searched the forums but haven't found anything. Anyone here with some experience adjusting this on a vert?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
The "rake" of the car front to rear will cause this and many times people that install these adjustable coil overs want the car low as possible without regard to what the car needs to respond well. There should be at least a 1" rake front to rear. Take this measurement at the frame rails at the centerline of the front and rear tire contact patches. Raising the rear will change the roll center height and the pressure put on the outside rear tire.

As for the KW I would look at the top of the shock when that side is jacked up. There should be a slot at the top close to the upper mount that has an adjuster in it.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where you at Chuckwalla in March for Viper days? I was with the SoCal guys. If you live out here join the SoCal Club, lot's of good folks who are always willing to help.

Here's a link to the KW site that will show you exactly what Mark referenced for adjustments (scroll down, first couple of pages are in German) If you're out here an need a shop to help you on set up, send me a pm. good luck, Mike

KW manuals and certificates /// vehicle-specific certificate and assembly- and adjustment instructions

OP
OP

95BlackZ28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope didn't make it there for Viper Days. We went the last weekend in February. What a great track. I live down here in San Diego, so I'll definatly look into joining the Socal club. Thanks for the tips guys-

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While the KW variant 2's are a nice upgrade over stock, most of the avid track guys (Sidewinders) have settled on Motons as the preferred track setup.

If your car has been lowered signicantly, you should seriously consider a fresh alignment for track usage.

The SoCal group will be in Fontana this Saturday for our annual Car Control Clinic. This will be a VCA (gotta be a member) Zone event, with members coming from surrounding states, as well as from Northern and Central California. There will be a nice dinner afterwards.

You can get lots of advice there from avid track rats who will share with you the hot setups for track events.

More info at SoCal Viper

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
K W Variant 2's aren't really set up for the track, i.e. the spring rates are a bit soft as delivered. Also, it's very likely the car was not aligned or corner weighted properly as Mark mentions above.

Lowering the rear of the car too much will actually transfer weight from the rear to the front which will make the rear end tail happy.

A properly set up Gen III Viper will feel very planted, at least a good as a Z06 and better than most cars IMHO when both are on comparable tires.

There are a few of us who can help you with this in the So Cal Club.

Dan

MVP auto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have installed many KW's, Moton's and Penske shock/spring systems. Contact me and I can adivse you of adjustment on the KW's. Or set up your car to your specs if necessary.

Mike

OP
OP

95BlackZ28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone, Mike- I'll send you a PM shortly- Thanks for the help in advance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang