2005 vs 2008 Any Differences Worth Hearing About

troutbeck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently drove a 2005 Viper convertible and am looking at a 2008 convertible to purchase. Are there any difference that I should be aware of that my influence my decision?

Thanks!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently drove a 2005 Viper convertible and am looking at a 2008 convertible to purchase. Are there any difference that I should be aware of that my influence my decision?

Thanks!
Alot of changes esp considering the 08 is well over 100 horsepower more.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow... a little research will go along way here. There are numerous changes between the two. Read up a little and make a decision. If money isnt an issue then the 08 is the way to go. Much more refined (driving wise), better power (over 100hp more), smoother transmission, better ride... not to mention you will have the last generation of Viper out there.

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the downside, the '08/'09 Vipers have drive-by-wire vs. an old fashioned Throttle Cable on the 2006 and older Vipers.

IMO, Throttle Cables are gooder.:2tu:

Though, I do love my new '08.:D

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the dyno this weekend there were several Gen3 Vipers that put down about 450, they were all bone stock except air filters. The one 08 that came in put down 535. So the claim of "over 100 more horsepower" is a little off. More like 85 horsepower more.

The major differences beside the engine is that you get a slightly better shifting transmission and a better differential. The hood is also more aggressive looking.

Besides that there are not many differences and if you are into modifying your car you can get way more horsepower out of a gen three for less money at this point.

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, I don't know where the claim of having a better ride comes from. If I am correct the suspension has not changed at all with exception of the ACR. The new cars come with PS2 tires instead of the run-crap tires, that does make a big difference in ride. I have the PS2's on my Gen three and it was a night and day difference.

OP
OP
T

troutbeck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Hamrhead! As it turns out, I'm looking at a Venom Red convertible. Gorgeous car!

OP
OP
T

troutbeck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Texas Venom! Glad to hear that if money is not an issue, that 2008 is indeed the way to go.

Troutbeck

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a lot of differences....clutch, differential,better tires,different spring settings,hood, hp, vvt, lack of crossover pipes, sidesills are cooler... ..adding belanger headers yields significant hp versus a generation 3 and a sweet sweet sound...you should get a great deal on a 08 venom red so use the money to slap on a set of motons/eibachs

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Also consider what you plan to do with it. If you EVER may want 750+ horsepower, stick with 03-06. 08-09 cars are basically capped at a certain power level due to computer complexity & engine changes. Also, the price difference between the two will get your foot in the door with the aftermarket... which can supply you with MUCH better parts than even what the 08-09 comes with drivetrain wise. the ~20K difference will easily build you a 03-06 car with an 08+ drivetrain, a better Quaife diff, supercharged with more power, and a body that looks identical.

Its all in what you want. If you want a GREAT platform with 600-650 horsepower & a warranty, then go 08-09.

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am about to pick up an 09 VOI 10 and have been reading a bit about the exhaust difference. Any
08/09 owners that have also owned a Gen 3 that can comment on the heat and sound difference?
I have had an 05 with RT cats and Corsa 3in Track that was way too loud and droned, even with
CCI inserts. Also an 04 Paxton with 2.5 in Corsa and stock cats that was better but still droned at
cruise. Those were both converts of course, I think the coupe might be quieter.

RD

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am about to pick up an 09 VOI 10 and have been reading a bit about the exhaust difference. Any
08/09 owners that have also owned a Gen 3 that can comment on the heat and sound difference?
I have had an 05 with RT cats and Corsa 3in Track that was way too loud and droned, even with
CCI inserts. Also an 04 Paxton with 2.5 in Corsa and stock cats that was better but still droned at
cruise. Those were both converts of course, I think the coupe might be quieter.
RD

Hey RD...We had the 2005 Black Vert w/Corsa, hi-flo cats, B&B headers, VEC3...absolutely LOVED the sound, but yes, it was considered 'too loud' even for a track. The 2008's exhaust is growly and perfect~! NO changes are being made. Heat issue has been resolved due to no crossover (that was also taken care of in the '05 by swapping the crossover out)...the '08 sounds awesome just as it is. And, yes, both Vipers were/are verts. You're getting an awesome '09 Coupe~! :drive: ENJOY!
~juli

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey RD...We had the 2005 Black Vert w/Corsa, hi-flo cats, B&B headers, VEC3...absolutely LOVED the sound, but yes, it was considered 'too loud' even for a track. The 2008's exhaust is growly and perfect~! NO changes are being made. Heat issue has been resolved due to no crossover (that was also taken care of in the '05 by swapping the crossover out)...the '08 sounds awesome just as it is. And, yes, both Vipers were/are verts. You're getting an awesome '09 Coupe~! :drive: ENJOY!
~juli

Thanks Juli. I tried going back to a P car but it just wasn't doing it for me.
I missed the visceral power of the Viper and the shaking and rumbling at
idle didn't hurt either.

RD:usa:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Juli. I tried going back to a P car but it just wasn't doing it for me.
I missed the visceral power of the Viper and the shaking and rumbling at
idle didn't hurt either.
RD:usa:

OHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Agree completely~! :drive: ~juli

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tomorrow, I'll pick up the new 2008 SRT-10...:D

What else is coming with the car except 2 keys/fobs, service booklet and manual?

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tomorrow, I'll pick up the new 2008 SRT-10...:D
What else is coming with the car except 2 keys/fobs, service booklet and manual?

:clap::clap2::kazoo::woot: YAYYYYYY!!!!! Keep us posted! (pics of course!)
After all your troubles, you ALSO receive a free year of VCA Membership!
(Let's hope there are NO glitches on that one, Markus! :cool:) I think I'd be making SURE that JRT/Viper HQ knows your new VIN#, your VCA Member # (congrats on choosing IL as your new base :2tu::2tu:). KUDOS! ~juli

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THX. :D :drive: :D Pictures will come!

I attended many IL VCA events over the last years since 2001 (5 or 6 times CAAP alone, so called dream weekend), and, especially last year...e.g. MACKINAC=WOW!!!!!!!!!!

The drive up North here is like 6 hours until I arrive where the 2008 is waiting for me. Will be a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG drive for me tomorrow :D :D :D

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It may be a long drive UP there, but you are driving it BACK, right??? THAT is HEAVEN!!!!!!
Yes, I believe you are in the right VCA Region now!~! SLEEPING tonite???? Countdown begins! ~juli

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will and can sleep tonight. Viper #4 is like kid #3.
You get "used" to it, although it is EXCITING!!! :D

I will drive the new SRT-10 straight to the Nürburgring for the first Viperclub Deutschland - Startseite meeting this year! :drive:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will and can sleep tonight. Viper #4 is like kid #3.
You get "used" to it, although it is EXCITING!!! :D
I will drive the new SRT-10 straight to the Nürburgring for the first Viperclub Deutschland - Startseite meeting this year! :drive:

NEVER, NEVER would get used to it~!!!! Yes, it's VERY EXCITING!!! You're a cool, calm and collected guy, huh????
WAY COOL on driving to the 'RING'...videos of THAT, of course~!!! Hell, I'm excited FOR you!!!! :headbang::headbang: ~juli

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also, I don't know where the claim of having a better ride comes from. If I am correct the suspension has not changed at all with exception of the ACR. The new cars come with PS2 tires instead of the run-crap tires, that does make a big difference in ride. I have the PS2's on my Gen three and it was a night and day difference.

The ride claims are in part from the PS2 tires... but also because the shocks and springs were changed even on the Non-ACR cars... The shock spring combo was common from 2003 to 2006, but you'll note that both the shock and spring was changed in 2008 to take better advantage of the PS2 tires.

THAT is where the claim comes from.

03-06 Shock 05290038AC Spring 04873102
08-09 Shock 05181425AA Spring 05181439AA (ACR parts are different of course)

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ride claims are in part from the PS2 tires... but also because the shocks and springs were changed even on the Non-ACR cars... The shock spring combo was common from 2003 to 2006, but you'll note that both the shock and spring was changed in 2008 to take better advantage of the PS2 tires.

THAT is where the claim comes from.

03-06 Shock 05290038AC Spring 04873102
08-09 Shock 05181425AA Spring 05181439AA (ACR parts are different of course)

If I'm not mistaken, the suspension on the 08's and up are actually stiffer than the Gen 3's. That was made possible by the PS2's having more compliance than the run-flats. Might be better times on the track, but if thats the case, I'll keep my original suspension for mess we call roads here.

Think the anti-roll bars are different as well.:dunno:

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Texas Venom! Glad to hear that if money is not an issue, that 2008 is indeed the way to go.

Troutbeck

Soooo any updates? Venom red is gorgeous - I get A LOT of compliments on the color ...not quite as SSG but a significant number. Don't forget it appears the 08/09 is evidently classified as a low emissions car, more power and better gas mileage! You will love it! :drive:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang