2006 Coupe A/C issues...

McKay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went for a little cruise today and had something strange happen. I seearched but could not find any similar situations. Right when I pulled our of my driveway I had the A/C on the second setting and smoke started coming out of my vents for about 5 second. It did not have any smell then the A/C stopped working. When I turn it to the highest setting it works great but put it below high on any of the other settings and it stops working in about a few seconds. When you turn it from high to a lower setting the A/C light on the button stays lit for a few seconds and then goes out as well. Anyone have any idea on a solution? Car is new to me... I have put about 400 miles on it, car has about 7200 miles total.

Thanks,
Mac

wes

Viper Owner
Reaction score
def sounds like the resistor...you probably just need to take it out (under the passenger side dash and it's a pain to get to) the re-solder it. Easy fix unless you wanna pay 140 bucks for one. It fixed mine.

fastandloud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with the above....had the exact same issue last summer. It's easy to pull out and inspect the resistor. You'll see that more than likely one of the ends has lost its connection. Re-solder it and see if the issue is fixed..doesn't work every time though and you may need to just get a new one. As posted above look to pay around 140 bucks for a new one.

bigmack339

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen this, smoke with no smell and weird operation was an overcharged a/c.

OP
OP
M

McKay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok got the chance to put the blower out today. As soon as i craked one of the three screws holding it in water came out. Had the ac selector on high (interior air circulation) Once I got the fan out I reached up in to see where the water was coming from and opened the damper with my hand and there was quite a bit more water sitting on top of it. I washed the car this mornning so I have water getting into the duct work when I wash it. I am pretty sure the vents in front of the passenger area between the windshield and the hood is the intake? If this is it, it is very easy for water to get in there but I would think it should drain somehow? The fan is pretty rusted up and corroded so I am sure I need a new one but I also need to fix this issue. Anyone have any idea what I need to dig into and fix for this? Also where is the best place to buy a new fan?
Thanks

fastandloud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok got the chance to put the blower out today. As soon as i craked one of the three screws holding it in water came out. Had the ac selector on high (interior air circulation) Once I got the fan out I reached up in to see where the water was coming from and opened the damper with my hand and there was quite a bit more water sitting on top of it. I washed the car this mornning so I have water getting into the duct work when I wash it. I am pretty sure the vents in front of the passenger area between the windshield and the hood is the intake? If this is it, it is very easy for water to get in there but I would think it should drain somehow? The fan is pretty rusted up and corroded so I am sure I need a new one but I also need to fix this issue. Anyone have any idea what I need to dig into and fix for this? Also where is the best place to buy a new fan?
Thanks

Not sure exactly how to fix any issue you may have but the blower/fan is just a bit over 100 bucks at the dealership...good luck!

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks

You talked of the fan, but how was the resistor block?

Reaction score
Don't be so sure that it is outside water coming in. The SRT10 can generate copious amounts of water through the evaporator (especially in humid conditions), which in turn can end up places it shouldn't be. The evaporator is also behind the passenger side dash and when operating properly, will pass excess water through the drain tube. When that tube is clear it allows the surplus moisture from the A/C evaporator to drain out of the vehicle and form a pool of water under the car. You might notice the damp spots under the car when you move it. At the drag strip the track staff will often remind you to turn off the A/C in the staging lanes if you left it on inadvertently - they may see it draining under the car and know that water can play havoc on the track.

Now when that tube is blocked, the water backs up and can flood the passenger side of the car or HVAC housing - which contains many of the same parts referenced above. We have seen this first hand in Viper SRT10's, including standing water inches deep in the passenger floor well. All of the parts to fix this are readily available from Mopar dealers as noted above.

OP
OP
M

McKay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did not see a restistor block. Where is it located? When I pulled the fan it just had a two wire connection. Also where do I check for the blocked tube?

Last edited:

fastandloud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did not see a restistor block. Where is it located? When I pulled the fan it just had a two wire connection. Also where do I check for the blocked tube?

The resistor is right there by the blower motor...2 screws and you'll find the problem!

OP
OP
M

McKay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
found the resistor block and it had come unsoldered in one place. I resoldered it and tried it out. Seams to be working now on all the settings except the lowest. However I think it is because the armature is corroded in the blower motor. (Very hard to turn) Which I would think caused the excess amperage in the resistor and whey the connection fried loose. Will have the new blower motor in hand tomorrow. But will still need to track down why there is water getting in or from the evap cooler as mentioned above. Will check the hoses first to see if plugged. Anyone know if you get to the evaporator from the cockpit side or the engine bay?
Thanks