2008 ACR

musicncars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
does any one know when they stop building for a model year?[/quote]

By legislative rule / law, 12/31/XXXX. The car does not have to be completed, but it must have BEGUN on the line....

But a BIGGER force is at play: UAW CONTRACT ! When the C.Y. is over, so is the MY.

I think the Holiday break begins earlyish December, til Jan 5. (estimate)

It is also possible due to order volume that extra work days in Dec may be planned, to minimize the # of 2008 orders carried over as 2009s. As Mopar4u sayz....til it goes KZ, it could become an '09, or vapor (not Viper.) But once a car hits D, it is virtually unheard of that it cancels unless by some dealer action.....

is it common for vipers to not be finished being built until the end of the model year? would they start building the next year (09) before the 08's were finished?
is it possible that they are behind schedule, and if so, to what extent?
thanks for your knowledge.:)

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the 1996 GTS was announced. i got in line like so many others. The final build date of my 96 was something like 12/9/96. Delivered late December 96...

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
is it common for vipers to not be finished being built until the end of the model year? would they start building the next year (09) before the 08's were finished?
is it possible that they are behind schedule, and if so, to what extent?
thanks for your knowledge.:)

Not common, as but in a few MYs this has happened. They just have to be STARTED by 12/31/XX. Only a handful (<20?) would be completed likely in early JanXX.

Yes. They could, MOST of the automotive world does this. Think about it ! Some makers are selling 09s NOW !!!!!

Yes, there have been some small challenges, NORMAL with a new Gen.... Been There!!!

You are welcome.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
.....I was informed this morning that Prefix does have one ACR in their posession. No VIN was given, sorry. I was also told that it would be about a month before they really get rolling on them as Dodge is "hording" them to complete inspections..........

I want to provide the correct term for this process: "Containment."

While that may seem synonymous with 'hoarding' the true term is more accurate and informative. Its more like corralling, than hoarding! MANY YEARS of experience has taught Team Viper to 'Release No Car Before It's Time" {JPH3 1996} (remember MY 03? HUNDREDS sneaked out with undetected valve issues. ) Even so, a tiny few '08s with gremlins sneaked out. The ACR Cruise Missile must be even MORE perfect !

Some Containment level has been a fact of life with every new Viper model since 1996.

Ron W.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So far it seems that the only way to get an ACR is to win one in the VCA raffle...:(

Ron Wellington, you are ONE LUCKY GUY!!!!!!!:D

Begs the question, does Ron have his ACR yet or is he also "waiting" for his?:dunno:

Phil

I picked up the ACR yesterday 4-10-08 and the car is very fast. I have a 2006 SRT /10 and the new ACR is in a different league. Now I know why the ACR is beating all the other high performance cars. The new Viper V10 rocks and the car hooks up great with the racing shocks and new tires. I like it!

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do I need to say more than this:

:needpics:

I picked up the ACR yesterday 4-10-08 and the car is very fast. I have a 2006 SRT /10 and the new ACR is in a different league. Now I know why the ACR is beating all the other high performance cars. The new Viper V10 rocks and the car hooks up great with the racing shocks and new tires. I like it!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Funny no mention of color or photo's?????????

Funny? Photos of RonWs car are everywhere. If you are a VCA member you were sent bunches of em, and lots of posts here...if you subscribe to ViperMag its on the cover with a feature story.....

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The confusion on 08/09 is really quite simply answered............

No ,the cars will not be 09s, as they all have 08 Vin numbers and they are not going to change that ( the last 8 numbers/letters are all beginning with 8V ).

We have often gotten model year cars clear into October, though normally it goes through August of late. Years ago Vipers were built through the end of the calendar year, so it was not uncommon to get a current year in December.

09 Pre-production models never figure in the mix, as they are just test mules and should not be confused with consumer built machines. The reason Chrysler stopped orders early was because they gave Dealers their entire final allottment months ahead of the final build.This was really quite brilliant, as the Conner Avenue Plant no longer builds three colors of cars with all the same components, but builds numerous colors, a myriad of interior combination and options, and has essentially three distinct styles ( Coupe, Convertible , Aero Group/ACRs ). With some cars coming out in tiny numbers ( example 3 cars in a specific color for an ACR ) and still having different options , suppliers needed to be contacted and specific numbers of items needed to be ordered. Unlike a mass produced car with 20,000+ parts in the supplier bins, there may be a supplier required to supply only 10 items ( say a graphite radio bezel ) , and if orders were to come in late for 20 more, it might impossible to get in time or at best would cause a long delay.

We currently have 3 Black ACRs built ( in I status ) and all the other Black ones are in D1 status or beyond. We should all be seeing the Killer Snakes real soon, and only Mr. Wellington is able to relish the Venomous Track Asp at present!:2tu:

Respectfully,
Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse

Ron W.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The confusion on 08/09 is really quite simply answered............

No ,the cars will not be 09s, as they all have 08 Vin numbers and they are not going to change that ( the last 8 numbers/letters are all beginning with 8V ).

We have often gotten model year cars clear into October, though normally it goes through August of late. Years ago Vipers were built through the end of the calendar year, so it was not uncommon to get a current year in December.

09 Pre-production models never figure in the mix, as they are just test mules and should not be confused with consumer built machines. The reason Chrysler stopped orders early was because they gave Dealers their entire final allottment months ahead of the final build.This was really quite brilliant, as the Conner Avenue Plant no longer builds three colors of cars with all the same components, but builds numerous colors, a myriad of interior combination and options, and has essentially three distinct styles ( Coupe, Convertible , Aero Group/ACRs ). With some cars coming out in tiny numbers ( example 3 cars in a specific color for an ACR ) and still having different options , suppliers needed to be contacted and specific numbers of items needed to be ordered. Unlike a mass produced car with 20,000+ parts in the supplier bins, there may be a supplier required to supply only 10 items ( say a graphite radio bezel ) , and if orders were to come in late for 20 more, it might impossible to get in time or at best would cause a long delay.

We currently have 3 Black ACRs built ( in I status ) and all the other Black ones are in D1 status or beyond. We should all be seeing the Killer Snakes real soon, and only Mr. Wellington is able to relish the Venomous Track Asp at present!:2tu:

Respectfully,
Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse

Bill,
I picked up the 2008 ACR last Thursday and you were correct, the car is very fast. The car is much quicker than my 2006 SRT/10 and feels extremly light. I like the new tires and the engine sounds and runs very strong. I can't wait to get it out on the track.
Thanks for all your help,
Ron

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is a little off topic and dont mean to hijack this great thread .... but ....
This is the greatest Car Club...
The wealth of information and knowledge amongst the members and posters, on this site is incredible . A big reason I bought a Viper is because of this site. Not to mention the obvious attraction to the car . I learned a lot in this thread . Just thought I would say thanks to all the ones who are so willing to share there expertise !!!!!!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Bill,
I picked up the 2008 ACR last Thursday and you were correct, the car is very fast. The car is much quicker than my 2006 SRT/10 and feels extremly light. I like the new tires and the engine sounds and runs very strong. I can't wait to get it out on the track.
Thanks for all your help, Ron

PAY ATTENTION PEOPLE !!!

The primary reason the ACR has a "light" feel to this experienced owner/driver (More Nimble, eh Ron?) is 50% due to the lighter wheels, 40% due to the lighter rotors, and 10% due to the adjustable rebound, probably on full soft.

The steering rack, power steering components, shock dampers, and springs are all handling LESS ROTATING, UNSPRUNG MASS. They are 'taking it easy' vs, an OE Viper, so of COURSE it will "feel lighter."

You can, too...... DITCH THOSE COMBAT BOOTS for some Nike Air Jordans. Dont 'Be Like Mike', Be Like an ACR...

PS: A small handful (under 10) more ACRs (Mostly Black w/ red) began their birthing this week.

PPS: Further confusing the status issue, a Viper can go to I status MORE THAN ONCE. When an I car leaves CAAP to get aero or stripes, it "needs" more time in I when it comes back. So, SOME cars in I take longer than others, and it can be frustrating.....

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
2008 ACR Update....it is my personal belief that an ACR may be in it's retail buyer's hands next week. {This proves I have NO clout since my '08 ACR, of the same color, ordered earlier, is NOT IT !}

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it solid black? I know who says they are getting it, but we'll see.

2008 ACR Update....it is my personal belief that an ACR may be in it's retail buyer's hands next week. {This proves I have NO clout since my '08 ACR, of the same color, ordered earlier, is NOT IT !}

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Is it solid black? I know who says they are getting it, but we'll see.

NO . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

As you can see in another thread, this came to pass today as stated 4/18, and in RED as hinted.

Last edited: