2008 brake rotor problem.

viperrrr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took delivery of my 08 coupe on Jnauary 18th. This is Viper number 3 for me. I had a 2000 GTs and 2003 SRT vert.

I should have known better but I made a mistake when I washed the car on Sunday. I used a wheel cleaner and the stuff moved the grey coating on the brake rotor hubs - all 4 of them. The rotor hubs are spotted now....the spots look like water marks.
Does anyone know if the grey coating on the rotor hubs is available in a spray can?

Also needless to say.....DO NOT USE A WHEEL CLEANER ON THE WHEELS...IT may move the grey coating on the rotor hubs.

Billy The Kidd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suggest removing the rotors from the car and painting them. you can use engine paint or high temp grill paint. Tape, paint, a scuff pad, and some time and you will have rotors that look great and you dont run the risk of doing the same thing. I did mine and it holds up great. you can always $pend for new rotors....naaah

OP
OP
V

viperrrr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking about doing just what you recommended. Do I have to remove the grey coating that is on the rotor hub before repainting?

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took delivery of my 08 coupe on Jnauary 18th. This is Viper number 3 for me. I had a 2000 GTs and 2003 SRT vert.

I should have known better but I made a mistake when I washed the car on Sunday. I used a wheel cleaner and the stuff moved the grey coating on the brake rotor hubs - all 4 of them. The rotor hubs are spotted now....the spots look like water marks.
Does anyone know if the grey coating on the rotor hubs is available in a spray can?

Also needless to say.....DO NOT USE A WHEEL CLEANER ON THE WHEELS...IT may move the grey coating on the rotor hubs.

The wheels are clear coated so you should never use wheel cleaner. Soap & water, and no wax. The wax will cook on to the clear coat.
Also, wash when cool. Sorry about the hubs.

V

Venomiss

Sorry about the hubs.

Since you already had Vipers in the past you already know about contacting the moderators to get your upgrade here and that you get the free year VCA membership for your 2008 when your dealer gets the paperwork going. (Putting this out for other new 2008 owners).

Hope to see pictures of your new Viper! What color did you get?

Luna C

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the wheels. I would have made the same mistake.
Can you use Klasse AIO on the Rims then to minimize road grime and btakedust from sticking to them??

OP
OP
V

viperrrr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to have the rotors replaced at my dealer.

I wash the wheels with car wash liquid and nothing else.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am going to have the rotors replaced at my dealer.

I wash the wheels with car wash liquid and nothing else.

Are they doing this under warranty? if NOT: PartsRack has some like-new, SRT10 take-off rotors, CHEEEP...and we will gladly trade and use your blems for track stuff.......

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did the same but after a few miles the rotors started to look the same again. I only did it to the one rotor but I can tell you that i would never be able to point out which one ........2k miles later.

I used wheel cleaner to get the brake dust in the inside that i could not reach with my fingers....lol
I was never trying to use it on the finished rim itself.

V

Venomiss

I PM'ed you with the information you asked for.:)

Glad to see the dealer is taking care of you and enjoy your new Venom Red 2008!

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI, I think it depends on the acidity of the wheel cleaner. I have used P21S wheel cleaner on my Viper and other cars. It is pH balanced so it has never caused any streaking or damage to my rims or brake components. After spraying on a dry wheel I wait about 5-10 mins then wash off and get any remaining brake dust with regular car wash soap, soft brush and a wash mitt or sponge.

/Rich

NeilS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
P21S works great ive used it with my 04 vert wet the wheels spray it on I use a soft wheel brush from Griots wheels look great I also keep the wheels protected with Wolfgang sealant Hold up better than wax

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4