2008 Viper ACR For Sale

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Is your car radio delete? .....Are owners of ACR cars using these for daily drivers? or just track cars? Thanks MB..

It has the OEM stereo/CD....one of my customers here is giving this some consideration....

Many ACRs are pleasure-driven and will NEVER see a track. "Daily Driver" for a leisure-retired? ....or daily driver for a working stiff?

Car cannot be parked most places without security / concealment....single-car car show!

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys, just seems that most here are tacking thier ACR's wondered if they were still drivable as a every day deal.

OP, good luck with sale.

MB

OP
OP
B

BennyBad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just emailed you john. car has factory navigation and for daily driving maybe if your careful with approaches and know every speed bump in a 3 mile radius. great highway cruising car:2tu:as john said car cant be left alone because you will find someone leaning on it taking a picture

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dont know if this allowed ,ebay item number 320467699243
or search 2008 dodge viper acr
thanks

Weird, didn't show up yesterday under those search terms but did today. Maybe Ebay had to update it.

Looks great, since you're a VCA member I'm sure they wouldn't mind an Ebay link :) Would love to see a member here get it!

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Would like to buy it but tough to roll this much cash into a car with no warranty for a Canadian buyer. I wish there was a way around this issue.

MB

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do you think it has no warranty? It is a 2008 vehicle and is in excellent condition. Benny is a fanatic on maintenance.

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why do you think it has no warranty? It is a 2008 vehicle and is in excellent condition. Benny is a fanatic on maintenance.

No warranty for me...... this is an US car, I am a Canadian buyer. One of the ways the OE keep us from cross border shopping these type of rides.

MB

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No warranty for me...... this is an US car, I am a Canadian buyer. One of the ways the OE keep us from cross border shopping these type of rides.

MB

Are you sure? See data below.

:

IMPORTING A CAR FROM THE USA INTO CANADA FAQ
--------------------------------------------

1) Why bother importing a car from the US?

- Partially of the recent strength of the Canadian dollar, many models are significantly less expensive in the US than in Canada. Also some models/trims are available in the US but not in Canada.

2) Can any car from the USA be imported?

- No, check the list at www.riv.ca. While many cars can be imported without any or with very little modifications, some might need modifications like the addition of Daytime running lights, and/or child tether anchors

3) Do I have to pay duty and taxes?

- There is no duty on cars built in North America. Cars from elsewhere will be charged 6.1% duty. You have to pay GST when you import the vehicle and PST when you register your vehicle as per your Province's regulations.

4) How do I know if I can import a car without paying duty?

- If the VIN starts with a number, it's made in North America and can be imported duty free. If they VIN starts with a letter, it's made elsewhere in the world and you will be charged 6.1% duty.

5) IS this only for new cars?

- Any car that can be imported (check point #1) can be imported new or used - does not make any difference and the process is the same (other than things like safety checks and clean air checks which really have nothing to do with importing the car).

6) Will the new car warranty be valid in Canada?

- This varies by manufacturer and you should contact the one for the car you wish to import. Some manufacturers (e.g. Subaru, Toyota) will honor the warranty, others will honor the warranty but under a few conditions (e.g. Nissan), while others void the warranty if the car is not registered in the US first (e.g. Honda)

7) Do I need a US address?

- No, but some dealerships (e.g. Toyota, particularly those near the Canadian border) may not want to sell you a car if you don't register it in the US first. In general dealerships very close to the Canadian border may not be as willing (because of pressure from the manufacturer) to sell to Canadians and you may have to travel further South.

8) I have a friend / relative / whatever with an address in the US, can I or they buy the car in the US and register it there before importing it to Canada?

- Yes but you may be charged sales taxes in the US and in Canada if you do that. Different states have different tax rates (and some none) so it may be possible to do it there. It has been confirmed that Canadian buyers pay NO sales tax in certain states like New York but are charged sales tax in Michigan. Also, there are certain conditions under which Customs Canada will allow you to import the car without paying taxes but this is only for those who are out of Canada for extended periods of time.

9) Can I get financing for a car purchased in the US?

- You cannot get financing through the dealership or manufacturer. You may be able to get a car loan from your bank but probably only once the vehicle is imported into Canada. Some Canadian banks are now offering US loans.

10) Can anyone do this for me?

- There are importers / brokers that will handle shipping and importing however they do charge a significant amount. Individuals can do it for themselve for the cost of a few hours time and the $200 RIV fee.

11) Are there any drawbacks from having a US car?

- Generally no. There are some inconveniences such as having an odometer in miles rather than kilometers and having the 'principal' display (outer ring) in the speedometer in MPH rather than KPH. It may be more difficult to resell an 'US' vehicle and you may get less for it. Dealer supplied bonuses (e.g. free oil changes for the first year) are usually not valid in Canada. Some automatic climate control and computer data information can also be in Imperial measurements. Some vehicles can easily switch between Imperial and Metric measurements while others cannot.

12) What should I pay for my car? What's fair? How to I compare?

This is a complicated question but if you're reading this you have the most valuable tool available to you. It's called THE INTERNET. Unlike Canada, the US readily promotes competition. While most manufacturers indicate a MSRP (Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price) most automobiles in the US are sold based on "invoice" pricing. This is closer to the true value of the car. This information is readily available on the Internet. The theory behind this is to ensure that a dealer in Iowa can sell a car for roughly the same price as one in LA. Unfortunately the fact of the matter is that large volume dealers also get additional discounts and incentives. Some could get free transmissions or moonroofs from the manufacturer. The dealer may choose to charge you for those items and keep it as straight profit. Others will discount the price accordingly.

In very rare cases, the car is so popular it exceeds demand. In those cases, the consumer might have to pay above invoice. If you can't get a car for US invoice price, shop around. Call dealers in other cities or states to get an idea what others are paying. Excellent sites like Edmunds.com have forums where "prices paid" are discussed.

Many of the RFDers compare prices the following way: Use US "invoice pricing" as the starting point. Add the exchange and a thousand or so dollars. Offer that to the Canadian dealer. NEVER compare US MSRP to Canadian MSRP unless you're researching prices. There is no doubt there is a price disparity in Canada. Many Canadian dealers will use all kinds of arguments to mislead you. There is a Canadian automotive analyst who is an expert at deception. They'll point out that model and trim levels aren't the same so true comparisons are not possible and that no real price disparity exists. Unfortunately for him, with the Internet at your disposal, you can compare options to options. This price disparity is huge and is now the subject of a $2 Billion dollar lawsuit filed in Canada in September, 2007.

Don't let taxation get into the discussion. You're paying taxes regardless of where you buy. Lucky for the Canadian buyer purchasing down south, your overall tax bill will be significantly reduced since the initial cost of the car is lower.

You'll be told that the cars aren't compliant and that "thousands" need to be spent to conform your car. Leave that the Transport Canada to decide. RIV.ca will tell you what needs to be done to the car. In the vast majority of cases, very little or in the case of many cars like the Subaru Outback NOTHING is required.

Dealers will tell you the Canadian market is small and can't support the US pricing. Another good one is that the cars in Canada are competitively priced in the market. That's the whole point of the lawsuit. There appears to be some collusion going on. There is an allegation that many Canadian car manufacturers have agreed to keep their prices artificially high.

This information is supplied to the best of our knowledge, if you have any recommendations or corrections please let us know.

Okay now you're convinced to buy in the US. How do you do it?

Follow the import instructions posted at the Registrar Of Imported Vehicles. http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html. It's easier than it sounds.

Another excellent resource is the RFD thread compiled by alysomji with input from just about everyone: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...d.php?t=477998

Thanks to another RFD member, we made a wiki site at www.carburner.com

If you have any questions, ask some of the members at RFD who've gone through the process.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score

MB

How close are you to the border? I wondered if I had major trouble with mine, would the warranty still be in effect in the US? I mean how would chrysler know that the car resides in Canada? Just slip across the border to a dealership. Give the service writer the address of the motel you're at and voila.

It would have to be a major warranty concern to make this worth while, but it is a thought. PLus the fact that it might not work.

When I bought my car in the US, I weighed the value of the warranty against the savings, and aside from a blown motor, I'd be money in.

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do not want to hijack the OP's "for sale" thread ........ I would have no warranty on this car at a Canadian dealership. GM and Dodge , no way. BMW , fine. The last three years or so things have changed. The manufacutrer is trying to protect the CDN dealers buy doing this.

Anyway, I would be interested in the car without warranty and Im sure other CDN buyers will be as well only I am looking at one here in Ontario now .

OP, once again, good luck with your sale I'm sure the car is a excellent buy.

Thanks
MB

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, all warranty is pulled at time of importation. I know. Have had it done twice. :mad:

When I got the Viper from Detroit, it was pulled.

When my father bought his Mega Cab a year and a bit ago, the warranty was also pulled. Took about a month for the data to be processed.

Can it be seen as exported for US dealers? Yes. Shows up in their system as no warranty available. Tried that already. Sadly, they seem to have it pretty wrapped up. Does not seem to be any loopholes. Cant even register the vehicle in the US, as a Canadian citizen cannot drive an American plated vehilce over the border unless you have dual citizenship.

So to answer your question Bob, yes, very sure!;)

Sorry for further contributing to the thread hijacking! ;)

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could you buy a non-manufacturers warranty.? We have a BMW X5 ; we bought a non-bmw warranty for it and its worked fine. Depends on the coverage you want as to expense but it is another alternative...Kevin

OP
OP
B

BennyBad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UPDATE looks like my buyer for my car is missing in action and isnt going to be able to complete the deal:(, i will give him a few more days and if not going back on ebay or if any forum members no of anybody. i will give a sweet deal. went to check out my sr8 with mechanic at owners garage and while owner is reving and showing how nice and robust the car is and mechanically sound, he blows up the engine:omg: due to oil failure wasnt paying attention to gauges:crazy2: and had a oil sump failure or something but lets say i got my deposit back and looking at a few others now any one with a good lead for a sr3 or sr8.

thanks

benny

mcar00

Viper Owner
Reaction score
UPDATE looks like my buyer for my car is missing in action and isnt going to be able to complete the deal:(, i will give him a few more days and if not going back on ebay or if any forum members no of anybody. i will give a sweet deal. went to check out my sr8 with mechanic at owners garage and while owner is reving and showing how nice and robust the car is and mechanically sound, he blows up the engine:omg: due to oil failure wasnt paying attention to gauges:crazy2: and had a oil sump failure or something but lets say i got my deposit back and looking at a few others now any one with a good lead for a sr3 or sr8.

thanks

benny

Based on reliability (and performance) I would at least consider an Elan over a Radical. Go visit Brent at Performance Tech in west Hollywood. They must have a dozen cars at Sebring this weekend for Winterfest including the Elans that qualified 1st and 2nd in a 90 car field in yesterdays enduro.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score

thanks

benny

Hmmm... Is that a harbinger? An omen?

Is it a sign!?

Keep the ACR! The gods want it that way.

Greg

OP
OP
B

BennyBad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
buyer lost deposit , his loss your gain . price reduced to 78K U S
anybody no of anybody looking for one?

OP
OP
B

BennyBad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
update

car has been sold and is heading to australia. so the acr is going down under to become a rally tarmac car:2tu:

thanks to all