2008 Viper news

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Please no flames ... but I just heard this today from an industry exec (and I believe it):

"The biggest concern with the 2008 Viper will be keeping it street legal (half joking). Dodge doesn't make any money on the Viper -- it's there for image -- to be the baddest car on the road. Since the new C6 Z06 came out, it's on now."

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell them to bring it to VOI.9.

Everyone remember what the first post in this thread said before it gets deleted.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge will only be able to make an 08 if they can continue to sell 05's and 06's.

If current model sales drop off due to people waiting for the 08's I would not hold my breath that they will make 08's.

Dodge is not a charity.

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge will only be able to make an 08 if they can continue to sell 05's and 06's.

If current model sales drop off due to people waiting for the 08's I would not hold my breath that they will make 08's.

Dodge is not a charity.

Paul, Please do not be a party pooper !! :D :usa:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 2008 Viper news - NOT!

"The biggest concern with the 2008 Viper will be keeping it street legal (half joking). Dodge doesn't make any money on the Viper -- it's there for image -- to be the baddest car on the road. Since the new C6 Z06 came out, it's on now."

The above quote is unatributed hearsay testimony - the worst kind a/k/a gossip. Herb Helbig spoke to the South Florida chapter of the VCA on Saturday March 25, 2006. He said:

1. The Viper is a profitable vehicle. It is not a loss leader.

2. The car will remain a naturally aspirated V10. As long as Herb has anything to say, the Viper will have a V10. He believes that the V10 is key to the Viper's identity.

3. Placing hemi heads on the V10, without other significant alterations, would not accomplish much and, therefore, there is probably no case, either from a performance or business point of view, for doing so.

4. Increasing the power much more than it is creates other potential issues.

5. They are seriously looking at various ways to lighten the car. Among the ways being looked at is the possibility of an aluminum frame.

6. The run flat tires may be replaced by regular tires without a spare where you carry a repair kit of some kind. They are aware of the difficulties some have reported with what we affectionately refer to as the "runcrap" tires.

7. There may be some more options available - like more than one interior color.

The bottom line is that almost all of the speculation is nonsense. I suspect that some of it may be disinformation put out by competing elements in an attempt to kill the Viper brand by slowing its current sales and freeing up that consumer money to buy another product.I do not know this.I only suspect it.

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The above quote is unatributed hearsay testimony - the worst kind a/k/a gossip. Herb Helbig spoke to the South Florida chapter of the VCA on Saturday March 25, 2006. He said:

2. The car will remain a naturally aspirated V10. As long as Herb has anything to say, the Viper will have a V10. He believes that the V10 is key to the Viper's identity.

3. Placing hemi heads on the V10, without other significant alterations, would not accomplish much and, therefore, there is probably no case, either from a performance or business point of view, for doing so.

5. They are seriously looking at various ways to lighten the car. Among the ways being looked at is the possibility of an aluminum frame.

6. The run flat tires may be replaced by regular tires without a spare where you carry a repair kit of some kind. They are aware of the difficulties some have reported with what we affectionately refer to as the "runcrap" tires.

7. There may be some more options available - like more than one interior color.

The bottom line is that almost all of the speculation is nonsense. I suspect that some of it may be disinformation put out by competing elements in an attempt to kill the Viper brand by slowing its current sales and freeing up that consumer money to buy another product.I do not know this.I only suspect it.

Believe what you want to believe. This is what an industry person told me -- someone that is privy to future development status of future Dodge and Chrysler vehicles. Obviously, I wasn't told much detail (e.g. nobody mentioned 'Hemi'). I only passed it on because I thought members would be interested.

Personally, I think Dodge could do this more easily than GM. The Corvette is a larger-volume vehicle, with more production constraints. The Viper, on the other hand, is not, and Dodge does not count on its profit contribution to float the company, so Dodge can do what they want with it ... I also don't think that there's any way this '08 won't be built -- development must be far along by now, and Dodge is obviously already staging the intro, since there will be no '07 Vipers sold, and I would expect the '08s to be close to coming to market a little more than a year from now.

I love my '05 Mamba. And I'm not so sure I would be waiting for a "big step up" '08 because there's no information about price yet ... who's to say the car won't be pushing 6 figures? I mean, What if the car were lighter, with 600+hp for close to $100K? That would move the car more toward the exotics, but maybe that's where Dodge wants to place it?? This is just my opinion, but the quote is what I was told ... draw your own conclusions.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Give me 625hp, a lighter car, no runcraps, be able to plant the power. Keep it under 100k or close to it and I will buy one...

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm not saying the rumors are true or they aren't, but for one thing you don't seriously believe that Herb is going to tell you anything substantial about the next Viper, do you? His job is in part to help sell the existing model Viper and not reveal corporate secrets regarding future products such as the next Viper. You must view everything he and other employees from SRT say in this context, especially when they are speaking to a group (as opposed to one on one). There have been alot of leaks over the last 6 to 12 months from various sources that all hint at the same result for the next Viper. To me, that says there must be something to those leaks. However, I guess you could be right and that it's just a campaign of disinformation - only time will tell.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There will be about 25,000 'vehicles' produced at Conner Ave in 2008. 1500 will be Vipers 23,500 will be something else. This is my best guess, immortalized here 4-ever. Viper Framed, Hemi V-8 powered.....

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I believe that herb is a very honest, straightforward kind of guy. I also believe that what he told us was the truth. It makes sense in view of production costs, potential liability issues, etc. Keep in mind that they do not craft the Viper only for the 500 or so people that want and/or require the levels of power that many of us discuss on this site. There are many owners of garage queens who can barely handle a stock Gen II never mind a 600+ HP vehicle. I believe that we may see a small increase in power - maybe up to 550 HP as an option but that the future performance gains are more likely to come from weight savings. Do I know this? No. But it is consistent with what Herb said. As to the looks of the Viper, I think that the only change that you will see is a bit more of a menacing look accomplished by a slight change to the front fascia. Once again, just an educated guess on my part based on how relatively inexpensive it could be accomplished. This would also allow for a fascia change out for those who wanted the more menacing look.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Herb is honest and straightforward, but he is also beholden to DCX which right now has a big problem selling the current SRT-10. They are sitting on roughly 400 unsold cars, which is more than the total of Vipers they've sold in the last quarter. Most of us have heard the rumors of a new Viper coming and between those rumors and the new Z06 sales of the Viper are hurting. If a new Viper is coming then DCX knows they've got to unload the existing supply of gen III cars before any solid info about it is leaked. Given all this, Herb will tell you what he can, but he's obviously going to downplay anything about any upcoming Viper so as to not any further hurt sales of the current Viper.

The Viper is an image car for Dodge (despite the fact that the beancounters have decreed it must make money) and its image will lose impact if cars like the Z06 for $20k less can out bench race it. Whether or not the garage queen owners can handle the increased power and torque of the next model does not change the fact that an image car like this must put up bigger numbers than the car next door to keep its image intact. This line of thinking alone leads me to believe that an upgrade in hp and tq is coming at some point, but when I couldn't say. When you add in the numerous leaks that we've been hearing over the last few months it makes me even more sure of that upcoming upgrade.

Eagle

Viper Owner
Reaction score

DC doesnt seem to have much trouble putting 600+ horsepower into a sedan (cl65), why not the Viper. Eagle

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hi MoparMan. I really do not give much credibility to the rumors on this board or runmors in general. I do give credibility to Herb since I was sitting right in front of him. I think that we can respectfully agree to disagree with each other's views. Enjoy your Viper. There is one other point regarding ViperFreak2's post. Does CAAP have the physical capacity to produce 25,000 cars a year in addition to 1500 Vipers? I seriously doubt it since CAAP is a craftspeople production area not a normal assembly line.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Let's assume the recent 'shutdowns' were not only to limit production of the current SRT-10 and coupe. Automotive News now shows that MORE Vipers have been built YTD in 2006 than at this time last year, even with the plant closed most of March! With the addition of some automated equipment and sub-ing out some major components to a supplier (i.e. aluminum frame) AND using the mass-produced Hemi in the 'other' car, it seems like 100 units a day (250 work days) is possible. Now imagine a second shift, 50 units per? Three shifts, 33 per? They can easily run 10-15 per day now, or so I'm guessing.
Chevy will make 40,000 Vettes/XLR's this year at Bowling Green. It's not a large facility either.

It's all just fun speculation.

Here's some questions: Has anyone taken a plant tour recently? Is it open for tours right now? Does the tour schedule show 'blacked-out' no tours scheduled dates?

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hi MoparMan. I really do not give much credibility to the rumors on this board or runmors in general. I do give credibility to Herb since I was sitting right in front of him. I think that we can respectfully agree to disagree with each other's views. Enjoy your Viper. There is one other point regarding ViperFreak2's post. Does CAAP have the physical capacity to produce 25,000 cars a year in addition to 1500 Vipers? I seriously doubt it since CAAP is a craftspeople production area not a normal assembly line.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Herb is full of it because he's not. It's just that he can only tell you certain things.

As far as your question goes, Viperfreak2 answered it pretty well. Also, consider that CAAP is due for a long shut down this year. Presumably this will be to tool up for production of the Viper's little sister. I would assume while this is being done the assembly procedures and equipment are being upgraded as well. I would guess that flexible manufacturing capability and enhanced production capacity is being added to CAAP during the shutdown.

yahllib

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 2008 Viper news

Hello, I work at the plant and they tell us everything. What Herb said is probably true. Other than that we don't know anything either. We know there is no '07 being built, but other than that, nothing. We hear the same rumors as above, but nothing definite. If you get rumors, just think of all the junk we hear at the plant. We want to sell every car we build. It is not up to the plant to set production schedules, that comes from the very top at DCX.
We just do (build) what we are told.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hello, I work at the plant and they tell us everything. What Herb said is probably true. Other than that we don't know anything either. We know there is no '07 being built, but other than that, nothing. We hear the same rumors as above, but nothing definite. If you get rumors, just think of all the junk we hear at the plant. We want to sell every car we build. It is not up to the plant to set production schedules, that comes from the very top at DCX.

Out of curiosity, how many Vipers are sitting unsold at the plant (assuming the storage lot is at or near CAAP)? Were there any changes to your manufacturing process when the plant was closed this year? What becomes of all you guys when the plant closes down later this year - do you work elsewhere until it reopens next year?

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

DC doesnt seem to have much trouble putting 600+ horsepower into a sedan (cl65), why not the Viper. Eagle

Don't mean to be an ass, but the CL65 is a coupe not a sedan. :D The S65 on the other hand is a sedan. And a very large one at that!

Eagle

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Good point but i think you get my drift. LOL Eagle

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The AMG prepared 65 series Mercedes vehicles weigh more than 1000 pounds more than a Viper. They are equipped with Active Body Control (ABC) and ABS, Brake Assist, ASR and ESP® (Electronic Stability Program. They also have an enhanced suspension. The front wheels are equipped with high-performance eight-piston composite brakes. The AMG series 65 cars are fast but the current, stock Viper, properly driven, is faster. A Viper with the 65 engine, because of the weight difference, would provide performance beyond the skill set of most drivers - particularly with none of the electronic assists referred to above. Lastly, the price of such a Viper would be much greater than the present Viper MSRP. The foregoing is why such a vehicle, in my opinion, will never be built by Dodge. Enjoy your Viper.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i think that all of the MB's even the smallest of the bunch are more like 1200-1500+ lbs heavies than a viper

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bobpantax makes a good point. Upping the hp level too much will make for a Viper that will probably bring DCX liability suits after some ***** crashes and kills himself in it. However, they have this liability now, do they not? It seems that increased hp levels in the next model may bring some form of traction control (hopefully, defeatable).

JBsZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score

the present vipers a pretty Bad @SS Ride..

I'm sure the 08 viper will be even more insane.......

Every car line that might not be a brand new release is having slower sales ..

The economy is in the dumper and sales of most 3 year old designs are lower than the original launch year..IE> Z06.

JMO

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Another CAAP employee that follows the forum in spare time. You guys are still passionate about Vipers even though you see and work on them daily. I am impressed. I never consult my company's website in my spere time as I just go there for the money. Thanks again for all your great work. :2tu:

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Bobpantax makes a good point. Upping the hp level too much will make for a Viper that will probably bring DCX liability suits after some ***** crashes and kills himself in it.

Just think, DC just paid $385k because some idiotic backwoods judge thought a differental breaking six times was poor design. Can you imagine what kind of lawsuit would come from the first 16 year old plowing the 700hp supersnake his daddy gave him into a pole?

I just wish they'd bring the price and looks back into reality. There's nothing left to prove - I really couldn't care less if it is the "best" (a realitive term to begin with) I just don't want the car I love to become the next vette knockoff.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No production in 07. Has DCX firmly committed that there will be an 08?

If DCX wants their "image" car to continue to provide a competitive one, they will need to step up the numbers (as mentioned above) against the Z06. What is image? Its what the public believes. Much of that, in the car world, comes from the automotive press. A new "image" Viper will have to beat the Z06 in most/all the normal press measurements, 0-60, 0-100, 0-100-0, 1/4 mile, g's, hp, tq, etc. My guess is a combination of modest power increase with noticeable weight decrease.

I just hope there IS an 08.
:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It is not "no production in 07", but no 07 model year production.
Cars can be titled 08's if built after Jan 1, 2007.

They could make 06 models up to Dec. 31, 2006 and then begin producing 08 models the next day.

Believe for corporate fuel econony, safety design issues and other Federal requirements they will essentially skip a model year. Corvette has done this in the past.

New pedestrian safety requirements for sales into Europe may require a redesign of the nose.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi