2008 Viper Quality Concerns

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been kicking around getting the new Viper when it finally comes out. Should I be concerned about the first model year with the updated engine and transmission? What is the Vipers track record in this area? I sure dont want a car with design/build troubles and recalls. What do you guys think, will it be OK? :confused:

Flash

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Unload your gun. These things are bullet proof! Best build quality of any sub $150k car. I've owned three SRT's and a few other 'exotics', save some interior amenities, the Viper is first rate in every category.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's be realistic... The first vehicles will have problems. Look at the 03s (engine and steering recalls), the 96/97s (frame recalls). Every first year has em. Being the victim of all these recalls (except the 03 engine one), I'm still first in line for an 08.

Oddly enough, the only first year car I have ever owned that didn't have problems is my 03 H2, which I am completely shocked about...

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not hesitate if I had the scratch. There not a complete redesign, more of an evolution rather than a revolution. And if a problem arises I am sure Dodge will take care of it. :2tu:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody concerned about new owners of Chrysler not sharing in our passion for the Viper:-(

Not any more than I am about new owners of Vipers not sharing our passion for the Viper.

Or some old owners not sharing the new owners passion :hitfan:

600hp is bringing a lot of them around.

I was disappointed in 03 styling but I've never been a fan of convertibles. The 06 coupe looked good and looks outright awesome with 600hp hiding underneath the hood for 08.

Although slipping slightly, Dodge has done a remarkable job fighting off the inevitable watering down of the Viper.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody concerned about new owners of Chrysler not sharing in our passion for the Viper:-(

Not any more than I am about new owners of Vipers not sharing our passion for the Viper.

Or some old owners not sharing the new owners passion :hitfan:

600hp is bringing a lot of them around.

I was disappointed in 03 styling but I've never been a fan of convertibles. The 06 coupe looked good and looks outright awesome with 600hp hiding underneath the hood for 08.

Although slipping slightly, Dodge has done a remarkable job fighting off the inevitable watering down of the Viper.

With 600hp it's a gotta have.

I'm hoping the Gen V styling will the shitz

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With 600 NA HP, DCX has hit the mark for the latest Viper. If styling could be a little more CC like, it would be the total package. Lowering the stance would go a long way towards that end. While I won't sell my Gen II, I will probably buy an 08/09.

Lower the car and bring back an ACR option.

:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe the current car is as low as legally allowed for an OEM. Only aftermarket can slam them.

While each year of the Viper will have it's own issues, each model year seems to be getting better.

I was in Detroit to see them running several of the new motors on engine dynos. One was on a race course test bed, another simulating daily driving, and one screaming at max revs with red hot exhausts glowing in the booth.

The engines seemed to be running very smoothly, and sounded much happier at higher revs than the current engine. (Which in turn makes revs better than earlier models).

The rearend limited slip is being beefed up to address concerns that were apparent in the 03's and the transmission is being upgraded for additional strength and easier shifting.

The engine management system is a quantum leap. When the 03's were released they had some issues with the headlights/dash lights going out.

Skipping the 07 year allowed them to do much more testing, and reduced the need to rush them into production. All the new stuff is significantly beefed up, and the rest of the car is the equilivent of late build.

I would expect the 08's to be some of the most bullet proof of all the Vipers.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the 08 because if Chrysler goes, there might be no 09. 675hp for about 100K is unbeatable.