Reaction score
Viper:
0-60: 3.5
1/4: 11.6@126

Z06:
0-60: 3.7
1/4: 11.7@125

Overall winner: Z06

The Viper did beat it pretty handily around the 2 mile road course however (1 second faster). the Z06 also has crappy runflats on. But kudos to the Viper.

ViperCrazed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bah, Chevy slipped them a $50 under the table to keep this close. Why anyone would want a 08 Zo6 is beyond me. I seen a 06 @ a dealer today and the car has "cheap" written all over it.:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper:
0-60: 3.5
1/4: 11.6@126

Z06:
0-60: 3.7
1/4: 11.7@125

Overall winner: Z06

The Viper did beat it pretty handily around the 2 mile road course however (1 second faster). the Z06 also has crappy runflats on. But kudos to the Viper.

Thanks for posting the info; I'll have to make a run to Borders first thing tomorrow morning for that C&D issue.

/Rich

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Overall "winner" ??? Winner of what? The Viper "won" the performance competition. All the Z06 got was the subjective "choice" of the C&D writer -- which ... could be really important if I were ever in a situation where I was buying THAT writer a car as a gift, and then i would know which car he 'preferred' ...

Sorry, c6z06, your car just lost the performance crown.

(Isn't it funny that last year, before Chevy had a new $8,500 leather dash option, all that mattered was the Z06 performance numbers -- despite that it's interior was judged as total cr@p? Now, performance doesn't matter anymore, but it's the subjective car of choice by C&D magazine ... hmmm)

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bah, Chevy slipped them a $50 under the table to keep this close. Why anyone would want a 08 Zo6 is beyond me. I seen a 06 @ a dealer today and the car has "cheap" written all over it.:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I saw a 08 on a dealer lot today. The orange peel was unreal. I would not even accept delivery if ordered this particular car. The interior had the upgraded leather. Nice option but 8k? Can you say windbreaker tax???

OP
OP
C

c6z06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Overall "winner" ??? Winner of what? The Viper "won" the performance competition. All the Z06 got was the subjective "choice" of the C&D writer -- which ... could be really important if I were ever in a situation where I was buying THAT writer a car as a gift, and then i would know which car he 'preferred' ...

Sorry, c6z06, your car just lost the performance crown.

(Isn't it funny that last year, before Chevy had a new $8,500 leather dash option, all that mattered was the Z06 performance numbers -- despite that it's interior was judged as total cr@p? Now, performance doesn't matter anymore, but it's the subjective car of choice by C&D magazine ... hmmm)

Agree that the Viper won in the performance categories. Straight line acceleration difference is very minimal and probably mostly due to the stickier non-run flats the Viper was using. Performance around the track was impressive, however.

There were many people on this board saying that the Viper would kill the Z06 in straight line performance. Well, it's a drivers race. Power To Weight Ratio is the key here. A 1 difference in MPH is smaller than I thought. But the track difference is bigger than i thought. All GM needs to do is put in a better air filter and stickier PS2s and I think things could be really interesting. In terms of losing the performance crown, well the BD will be here very shortly and we all know what is going to happen there.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Z06 is only as close as it is because it has 3.42 rear gears compared to the 3.07s in the Viper. When I, like many other Viper owners, swap to 3.33s (or 3.55s) ... just one simple mod ... it won't be a 'driver's race' ... the same cannot be said for the Z06 -- aside from adding a blower, or major engine mods, it really doesn't have much more to give

OP
OP
C

c6z06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Z06 is only as close as it is because it has 3.42 rear gears compared to the 3.07s in the Viper. When I, like many other Viper owners, swap to 3.33s (or 3.55s) ... just one simple mod ... it won't be a 'driver's race' ... the same cannot be said for the Z06 -- aside from adding a blower, or major engine mods, it really doesn't have much more to give

Agreed that gears will really wake up the Viper but traction now becomes and issue. But I also think if the Z06 didn't have the runflats and stickier tires like the PS2s, they would be tied in stock configuration. And the C6 Z06 people have even a simpler mod than a gear switch. The Halltech Air Filter for $200 dollars nets 20 rwhp improvement and 2/10 in the quarter. I don't think you are giving enough credit here to the Z06. We both know the Z06 is not as cool as the Viper is, but c'mon man give the car it's due respect.

FYI...Halltech
http://www.corvettels7.com/

Last edited:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed that gears will really wake up the Viper but traction now becomes and issue. But I also think if the Z06 didn't have the runflats and stickier tires like the PS2s, they would be tied in stock configuration. And the C6 Z06 people have even a simpler mod than a gear switch. The Halltech Air Filter for $200 dollars nets 20 rwhp improvement and 2/10 in the quarter. I don't think you are giving enough credit here to the Z06. We both know the Z06 is not as cool as the Viper is, but c'mon man give the car it's due respect.

FYI...Halltech
http://www.corvettels7.com/

The Z06 is a triumph for GM... over 12 years in the making, and it took the guy that helped make the Viper to get it to where it is today. Even then, it barely eeked a win from a 3 year old SRT design, but the vette owners paraded around town called it a blow-out. Now the 08 Viper squeezes a slightly larger win, and the Vette boys are playing it cool... now it's a "Driver's race". Funny this was the same argument from the Viper camp for the last 18 months. There are idiots on both sides here. Men giggling like little girls going to their competitor's forums to start a flame war. This is a game of leapfrog. Someone will always be in the lead, and the other will catch up in time. It'll be fun until gas prices and/or the crazy libs write laws to make us all drive Priuses.

Truth is, you can't really compare the Z06 to the Viper. They're not even in the same category. The Z06 is the "special edition" version of the Vette. The standard Vette doesnt even compare to the Viper. If Chrysler ever gets another ACR-like Viper... that would be a more apt comparison.

Also, there's no point discussing products that are still in the pipeline. That just gets silly. My 2040 Viper will be better than your Vette. :rolleyes:

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The official specs (or price) has not even been announced by Chevy for the Corvette SS, and it's going to be more than a year from now until the car'***** showroom floors.

And my guess is that by the time that the Corvette SS does arrive, that the new lighter, more powerful ACR Viper will also be out, and the leapfrog will continue again. :D

The trick is that at these power levels, performance is just not consistant enough to say that most any car that's close would not be slower or faster than another depending on the driver's skill.

What is missing from this discussion is the fact that the 2008 Viper's performance is in-between the $$$ McLaren SLR, and the $$$ Ferrari 599, and the Viper is going to be quicker around most tracks than the 997 twin turbo, the Lamborghini Gallardo, and the Ferrari F430, not to mention FAR faster than ANY of these cars in their convertible form, with the 599 and Z06 simply NOT even available in convertible versions. :(

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, this is bullsh*t:curse:. A sports car is supposed to dominate in competitive car driving: acceleration, 1/4 mile, top speed, handling, braking, sound, menacing appeal, exotic-ness, and stares from gorgeous women and giving kids a poster to put on their walls while they dream.....

THE VIPER HANDILY DOMINATES THE VETTE IN EACH AND EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE CATERAGORIES...not to even mention Vipers hold value better (of course the rags conveniently omit such facts).

Now, if a sports car is critiqued based on "soft ride, daily grocery store drivability, appeal to the AARP crowd :rolaugh: and the local bridge club, xm radio, stability control (for those who cannot drive):dance: , traction control (for those who cannot drive):jawdrop: , coffee holders,...yes, the Vette dominates. Oh, and let us not forget the payola factor with the rags by GM...

When the stock Z06 was slamming the stock Viper we Viper faithful simply had to accept that crap for two years, now the situation is reversed....and the Chevy crowd must simply accept that..and get used to it b/c the snake is going to BURY:dig: the fish for the unforseeable future... :nana:

As far as the future cars, Chrysler says not to worry about the urban legend of the Blue Devil, they said whatever GM puts out they are ready to respond. The 8.4 liter has MUCH more potential than Chevy's 7 liter...as the current mods and hp numbers in this forum have proven. All Chrysler has to do is shave weight and improve gearing and now you are looking at a high 10 second 1/4 mile car.:slomo:
VIPERS RULE!! :2tu:

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bah car magazines **** that's why I'm not subscribed to them anymore. Nothing but garbage just like Jeremy Clarkson.

--RS

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait 'til some real numbers come out. They will be closer to 11.3 in 1/4.
But we all know how that goes, pick a magazine, and all the times will be different.

They sometimes fail to mention such things as Track conditions for each vehicle, driver's experience with each car, etc.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agreed that gears will really wake up the Viper but traction now becomes and issue. ... The Halltech Air Filter for $200 dollars nets 20 rwhp improvement and 2/10 in the quarter.

Let me see if I follow this idea: A Vette owner says that the '08 will have (unmanagable) traction problems (and thus, not be fast) if it has different rear gears -- even though, nobody actually has an '08 yet, nor has tried switching any gears -- but this is the vision from the Z06 perspective ... yet the Z06 becomes a monster with a super duper air filter change. :rolaugh:

Let's be real. The Z06 is a great car -- maybe a bit too common, as it seems to be bought by many folks who need a manual to find the dip-stick, but that's whole other issue. But the point of this thread is that the Viper has always been about pure performance, period. The Z06 showed up 18 months ago, walked into the house of Viper and proclaimed itself to be the new king. Not taking anything away from the Z06, but the '08 Viper has just reclaimed that crown, and kicked the Z06 out (of the house of Viper) and back into the world of special edition versions of lesser base cars. That's that bottom line.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no doubt that a Vette is easier to drive than a Viper, I have owned both. I suspect that the 'ultimate' performance will go to the Viper if a guy can drive it well. The Viper has lost a lot of its uniqueness in the Gen 3 model, and with that gone, it is just an overweight beast to most people. The heat in the cockpit issue is a deal breaker for many, esp if you are buying the car for something besides 1/4 mile runs. The dealbreaker for me is the commonness of the Vette. Car and Driver is geared more toward the yuppy crowd and not the track crowd. I bet that Road & Track editors favor the Viper. You watch. ;)

OP
OP
C

c6z06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me see if I follow this idea: A Vette owner says that the '08 will have (unmanagable) traction problems (and thus, not be fast) if it has different rear gears -- even though, nobody actually has an '08 yet, nor has tried switching any gears -- but this is the vision from the Z06 perspective ... yet the Z06 becomes a monster with a super duper air filter change. :rolaugh:

Let's be real. The Z06 is a great car -- maybe a bit too common, as it seems to be bought by many folks who need a manual to find the dip-stick, but that's whole other issue. But the point of this thread is that the Viper has always been about pure performance, period. The Z06 showed up 18 months ago, walked into the house of Viper and proclaimed itself to be the new king. Not taking anything away from the Z06, but the '08 Viper has just reclaimed that crown, and kicked the Z06 out (of the house of Viper) and back into the world of special edition versions of lesser base cars. That's that bottom line.

My point about the air filter was how close things really are here.

It's a drivers race. If you call that taking back that crown then you have low standards. :2tu:

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why am I a troll? Because I am stating factual data?

Factual data?:rolaugh:

No because you’re a Z06 fan boy on a Viper site. (That’s probably the definition of Trolling) The Vipers faster end of story. You basically admitted that when you posted you didn't care if it was faster your getting a non-existent Blue Devil.

You want to see some factual data watch the video of my 14 year old Viper keeping up with your precious c6 Z06. :headbang:

murfman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why am I a troll? Because I am stating factual data?

No, beacause you are obviously a Vette fanboi on a Viper forum, telling all the uninformed Viper owners how your Z06 is the bestest car ever built!

Who is to say there won't be an aftermarket airfilter for the 08 Viper, if you want to talk about modified cars?

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Congrats Dodge! Wait until WE get our hands on these bad boys!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Vette guys just don't get it, well some of them do but the majority of them are like c6 here...They have a denial problem when it comes to the exclusivity and performance of the Viper. Vettes are as about as exciting to look at as say Honda Accords...There's just too many AARP members driving Vette's these days. The Viper is a head-turner and will always be. The Viper is truly an exotic while the Vette...well I think they get handed out with each AARP membership. The Z06 is a nice car...but the Viper well...its a Viper.

As for performance...whether the Viper beats the Vette in 1 sec or 10 sec does it really matter? The Vette got its ass handed to it...sorry. While the new Viper's numbers are impressive the most wound-licking fact for the Vette guys is this: Dodge decided to reward its Viper community with a bigger, badder, stronger Viper for LESS money...How will GM reward the Vette owners? They will charge them with a $100K+ bolt-on supercharger, maybe if we see the light of day of the Blue Devil.

And what will happen when/if the Blue Devil comes out? Dodge will again take its naturally aspirated V10 to 675+ HP and trounce the Vette once again. And while the Blue Devil guys are reading up on the 2009/2010 Viper ACR in the waiting rooms of many Chevy service centers as their blue devil shredded inards are being replaced under warrany...:D us Viper guys will continue doing what we do today...drive and enjoy the most exotic, reliable and exclusive american super car ever built. Sorry, its just fact.

Let's face it C6, you came here because you know you've been out done with 2008 Viper...you've been outdone by all of the car rags...you've been outdone by Edmunds of all places...You started out here with Denial moved on to Anger/Resentment and are now "Bargaining" to change the results of what everyone else on this planet already knows...the 2008 Viper has spanked you into submission and you can't live with it. There's no time for damage control, you lost and you lost in a big way. The real question is can the Vette guys realize they've been spanked in a much bigger way than simply the awesome Viper numbers alone?

C6 it's time to move on, drive to Starbucks, pickup that "Vente", stick it in your Z06 cup-holder, turn on the traction control and watch as the world revels in the 2008 Viper. Watch as the world drops its jaws at the 2008 Viper while the Vette takes backseat and loathes at the world. You got just spanked my friend.

Last edited:

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go Dodge! As per VipeTony's last paragraph (I have to laugh), our local Vette club meets every Saturday at Starbucks at 8 for coffee.....and c6 ...you are a troll.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go Dodge! As per VipeTony's last paragraph (I have to laugh), our local Vette club meets every Saturday at Starbucks at 8 for coffee.....and c6 ...you are a troll.

:D All in the name of fun! To be honest, I'm just jealous of you guys because when I go to Starbucks in my GenII I have no cup holders...

v10Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is no doubt that a Vette is easier to drive than a Viper, I have owned both. I suspect that the 'ultimate' performance will go to the Viper if a guy can drive it well. The Viper has lost a lot of its uniqueness in the Gen 3 model, and with that gone, it is just an overweight beast to most people. The heat in the cockpit issue is a deal breaker for many, esp if you are buying the car for something besides 1/4 mile runs. The dealbreaker for me is the commonness of the Vette. Car and Driver is geared more toward the yuppy crowd and not the track crowd. I bet that Road & Track editors favor the Viper. You watch. ;)

I disagree with "The Viper has lost a lot of its uniqueness in the Gen 3 model, and with that gone, it is just an overweight beast to most people." That should read MOST PEOPLE THAT STILL HAVE GEN I or IIs...
I happen to like the GenIII look of the vert much better...I sold my 97 Blue and White to get one. The 03 - 06 vert is a very **** car!

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jebus if I ever come to Kansas I know who I want a state tour from! That was some sick driving!

--RS