2008 Viper vs. 2008 C6 Z06: October Issue of Car And Driver

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I happen to like the GenIII look of the vert much better...I sold my 97 Blue and White to get one. The 03 - 06 vert is a very **** car!

..Yeah in a skanky-Angelina-Jolie sexxy kind of way. Proud GenII owner here! :2tu: But the new hood of the 2008 is a whole new game. Now that's a sexxy car.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 08 Viper is the best sports car on the planet for under $500,000....period. The Ferrari 599, the Bugatti, the Saleen S7 are all faster overall, but handle and corner similar to the Viper and all cost over $550,000!
All the other so-called sports cars in the Viper's class like the Porsche 911 TT, the new Gallardo Superleggiorospaghettiosso (or whatever they call it), the tank-like Lambo 640 LP, and the She oh Six, etc are ALL SLOWER and only get better marks in areas that are only important in coupe's and sedans...cateragories like "ride comfort" or "manners" and "oops-I-****-as-a-driver-so-help-me traction and stability control"..... and luggage space, ease of getting in (older Vette crowd arthritis issues noted):*****:
ok, so I am not politically correct and will not win any awards....but I am in your face and brutally honest..in other words I am just like our beloved VIPERS!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper, regardless of its stats, will never appeal to as broad an audience as the vette - and hopefully, it never will. It was, and is, conceived as a purist's car. A race car that is streetable. Not a street car that is raceable. The difference between the Vette with nanny tech and the Viper without nanny tech is akin to the difference between a high spirited stallion and a broken in riding horse you rent from a stable. Both may be fast, but only one gives you that special feeling of knowing that you have the stones and skill to drive the car without a safety net. My experience has been that most people who buy performance cars these days do not seem to know much about the cars or driving them before they buy them. Their purchase is based more on hypercompetiive social factors. Many of these people would never even consider a car without nanny tech and some that do should have never done so since they end up wrecking the car. (I exclude garage queens from this comment. I have never completely understood the garage queen syndrome but I respect those who have it.)

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tuperware fanboy where are you now??? ViperTony just owned you!!! Nice write-up Tony. When will you Vette boys understand that 8 < 10??? Simple math guys.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's great that corvettes are FINALLY able to come off the porch, I'd still never own one over a Viper though. I don’t care what their hp is. It's called exclusivity.

My neighbors 74 year old grandmother drives a yellow automatic corvette. Nuf said.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the stickier tires, you think the new Viper's ET would have been better. ETs vary from mag to mag, but C&D testers aren't particularly inept.

So no one's worried about 1st year bugs with the new engine? I'm sure it's been tested rigorously at the Chelsea Proving Grounds, but if there are 'issues' with the new design you'll either be relying on your local Viper tech (groan), or Arrow to fix it.

Still, with some drag radials, there's the outside chance for a 10.99 or better.

-----------------------------------
1999GTS/2001ACR
New SVS short throw shifter for sale

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Nice run 93 Viper and from someone who has 3,000 plus miles at Heartland Park, nice lines , great driving technique (clean shifts, hands always back on the wheel, very little sawing, and very smooth overall style ) .

Let's see if I got the rest right..............
1. 400 hp 93 Viper
2. No ABS
3. Nowhere near the brakes of newer Vipers - in fact quite poor overall for track use.
4. Worse aerodynamics than current vehicles.
5. 14 years old with a suspension that is 3 generations in the past.

1. New Z06

Conclusion .............the driver do be makin a bigggg difference!!! I give you 20 car lengths per lap if you were in a new 08, as calm and precise as you were on course!!!:headbang:

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice run 93 Viper and from someone who has 3,000 plus miles at Heartland Park, nice lines , great driving technique (clean shifts, hands always back on the wheel, very little sawing, and very smooth overall style ) .

Let's see if I got the rest right..............
1. 400 hp 93 Viper
2. No ABS
3. Nowhere near the brakes of newer Vipers - in fact quite poor overall for track use.
4. Worse aerodynamics than current vehicles.
5. 14 years old with a suspension that is 3 generations in the past.

1. New Z06

Conclusion .............the driver do be makin a bigggg difference!!! I give you 20 car lengths per lap if you were in a new 08, as calm and precise as you were on course!!!:headbang:

Thanks Bill! Coming from you that means alot! :2tu:

-Dan

P.S. Now you just need to get me into an 08 (I am thinking even trade :) ) so I can put 20 car lengths on them next time. :)

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah just what I want. A windbreaker special. I always wanted a car that six other people have on my block. Maybe we can trade with each other the Z06's roof. That way everyone is special.
That thud you just heard was your resale value like every other 0% for 72 months Cheby.....

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With the stickier tires, you think the new Viper's ET would have been better. ETs vary from mag to mag, but C&D testers aren't particularly inept.

So no one's worried about 1st year bugs with the new engine? I'm sure it's been tested rigorously at the Chelsea Proving Grounds, but if there are 'issues' with the new design you'll either be relying on your local Viper tech (groan), or Arrow to fix it.

Still, with some drag radials, there's the outside chance for a 10.99 or better.

-----------------------------------
1999GTS/2001ACR
New SVS short throw shifter for sale

I'm not surprised at the '08's 0-60 times or the fact that they are so close to the ZO6's. There are other cars that are quicker 0-60, but they are either rear engine (a big advantage in 0-60 accelleration), all wheel drive, launch control, r-compound tires or some combination of the forementioned. I can't think of any other car made that can match the Viper's 0-60 that doesn't have any of these advantages.

How many tests have we seen of massive hp, twin turbo vipers or vettes that are no quicker 0-60 than a stock example of the same car (and in some cases they are actually slower). The Viper's huge torque is limited by it's tires abaility to hold it. Slap on a set of drag rdials or slicks and I bet you would see 0-60 times in the high 2s with good track prep.

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snakester and black mamba1; you guys said it all. It's cool to read the real facts in this forum.

eagles

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disagree with "The Viper has lost a lot of its uniqueness in the Gen 3 model, and with that gone, it is just an overweight beast to most people." That should read MOST PEOPLE THAT STILL HAVE GEN I or IIs...
I happen to like the GenIII look of the vert much better...I sold my 97 Blue and White to get one. The 03 - 06 vert is a very **** car!

ONE post in four years????????
You win the award. :2tu:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was my post confusing? It just made sense to answer the post by c6Zo6 over 'there' ... where the readers would care more ...:D

It's like you walked into a dark room over there, turned on the lights and all of roaches scattered. :D

OP
OP
C

c6z06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Vette guys just don't get it, well some of them do but the majority of them are like c6 here...They have a denial problem when it comes to the exclusivity and performance of the Viper. Vettes are as about as exciting to look at as say Honda Accords...There's just too many AARP members driving Vette's these days. The Viper is a head-turner and will always be. The Viper is truly an exotic while the Vette...well I think they get handed out with each AARP membership. The Z06 is a nice car...but the Viper well...its a Viper.

As for performance...whether the Viper beats the Vette in 1 sec or 10 sec does it really matter? The Vette got its ass handed to it...sorry. While the new Viper's numbers are impressive the most wound-licking fact for the Vette guys is this: Dodge decided to reward its Viper community with a bigger, badder, stronger Viper for LESS money...How will GM reward the Vette owners? They will charge them with a $100K+ bolt-on supercharger, maybe if we see the light of day of the Blue Devil.

And what will happen when/if the Blue Devil comes out? Dodge will again take its naturally aspirated V10 to 675+ HP and trounce the Vette once again. And while the Blue Devil guys are reading up on the 2009/2010 Viper ACR in the waiting rooms of many Chevy service centers as their blue devil shredded inards are being replaced under warrany...:D us Viper guys will continue doing what we do today...drive and enjoy the most exotic, reliable and exclusive american super car ever built. Sorry, its just fact.

Let's face it C6, you came here because you know you've been out done with 2008 Viper...you've been outdone by all of the car rags...you've been outdone by Edmunds of all places...You started out here with Denial moved on to Anger/Resentment and are now "Bargaining" to change the results of what everyone else on this planet already knows...the 2008 Viper has spanked you into submission and you can't live with it. There's no time for damage control, you lost and you lost in a big way. The real question is can the Vette guys realize they've been spanked in a much bigger way than simply the awesome Viper numbers alone?

C6 it's time to move on, drive to Starbucks, pickup that "Vente", stick it in your Z06 cup-holder, turn on the traction control and watch as the world revels in the 2008 Viper. Watch as the world drops its jaws at the 2008 Viper while the Vette takes backseat and loathes at the world. You got just spanked my friend.

How is 11.6 vs 11.7 a spanking? This is so funny.

BTW - It was just pointed out to me by my friend who works at GM the the C&D test had the 07 Z06 vs 08 Viper. Do you guys realize there is a new transmission in the 08 Z06 has shown to be good for .15 to .2 tenths on the C6? I am REALLY looking forward to a retest when they use the 08 Z06 because I think the 08 Z will be a tenth faster.

ViperCrazed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
C6, did you read any of the post you quoted?

You responded to none of that. You are simply clinging to one stat and basing your argument off of that. Gotta do better than that, you are making it to easy for them.

OP
OP
C

c6z06

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You responded to none of that. You are simply clinging to one stat and basing your argument off of that. Gotta do better than that, you are making it to easy for them.

Ya, I read the post. Especially the part he was saying the Viper "Spanked" the Z06. I replied to that. Then I wanted to introduce some new information so that if the original poster considers a 1 mph victory a "Spanking", then it will soon be erased because the test was done against an 07 that does not have the new transmission and steering. very dissapointed with C&D for not testing an 08 vs. and 08.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:rolaugh: :rolaugh: :rolaugh: I laugh because I never quoted a single stat...As I wrote earlier, the Vette guys just don't get it. :rolaugh: :rolaugh: :rolaugh:

Last edited:

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya, I read the post. Especially the part he was saying the Viper "Spanked" the Z06. I replied to that. Then I wanted to introduce some new information so that if the original poster considers a 1 mph victory a "Spanking", then it will soon be erased because the test was done against an 07 that does not have the new transmission and steering. very dissapointed with C&D for not testing an 08 vs. and 08.
You do realize as well that the track was damp don't you? With a dry track it would only increase the difference with the improvement going to the Viper. Dryer track means easier to put down all of that extra HP and torque. Another excerpt from the C&D article states that at 2500 RPM, the Viper makes more torque than the Z06 does at peak. The other part you missed was this quote "All hail the new King!".

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way 90-100 hp power difference equates to .1 in the quarter, no matter the 200lb difference or gearing. The viper with the higher rev limit and 100 hp should win decisively and I am sure it will. You are looking at one comparison and one only. Also did anyone ever confirm that the tests were done on the same day?

I am sure some other mags will tell a completely different story performance wise.

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is 11.6 vs 11.7 a spanking? This is so funny.

BTW - It was just pointed out to me by my friend who works at GM the the C&D test had the 07 Z06 vs 08 Viper. Do you guys realize there is a new transmission in the 08 Z06 has shown to be good for .15 to .2 tenths on the C6? I am REALLY looking forward to a retest when they use the 08 Z06 because I think the 08 Z will be a tenth faster.
Z06 - Why don't you quit your crying, quit your attempt to justify yourself and your Vette and go back to your Vette site and whine over there? If you want to be on this site, get a Viper or go home! Better yet, go to a Mustang site. Vettes are not in the same league as Vipers!

Last edited:

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Z06 - Why don't you quit your crying, quit your attempt to justify yourself and your Vette and go back to your Vette site and whine over there? If you want to be on this site, get a Viper or go home!

Let him be. He now has a car that is dated and no longer king of the hill. Next he will be talking about a tune a intake system.
Go talk to GM about it. Maybe they will make you feel better. Forget about trading it in though. Your resale valu just took a nose dive....

v10Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
..Yeah in a skanky-Angelina-Jolie sexxy kind of way. Proud GenII owner here! :2tu: But the new hood of the 2008 is a whole new game. Now that's a sexxy car.

I think most of America will disagree that Angelina Jolie is "skanky" as you stated.:crazy2:

GTSRboy2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the best way to look at this test, it to think about on what basis the Vette won. The vette didnt win because it looked better, or becasue it was more rare, or because it was speical, or becasue its exiting to drive, or becasue it lead in any preformance category- it won because it was a better DD.....wow. yea- congradulations C6Z06! - oh if your so interested in DD features, you should check out a minivan, hear they really lead in the category.

As for a
"blue devil" For the rest of us, we dont care for a Z06 whether is is faster or not, its not any diffrent to us than a 600HP civic claming victory over a viper

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
ummm... i don't know many people that DON'T think she's skanky. I mean, they'll still DO her, but trash is trash.

Angelina Jolie is a "scooter". Whats a scooter? Its a bike that you wouldn't mind riding, but you wouldn't want your friends to see you on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang