2008 Viper vs. 2008 C6 Z06: October Issue of Car And Driver

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Angelina Jolie is a "scooter". Whats a scooter? Its a bike that you wouldn't mind riding, but you wouldn't want your friends to see you on it.

I dunno about that... my friends would worship me if they DID see me with "scooter"... I just wouldn't want any women in my life to see me with her. :D

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This C6Z06 ***** is Fadi over at the Alley and the last time I checked, he was getting the verbal ***** slapping of the decade by some guy, "King Sadi", over the Viper vs. Z06 topic. Apparently, the dweeb does not even have the Z06 anymore because he could not keep up the payments and had to sell it.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This C6Z06 ***** is Fadi over at the Alley and the last time I checked, he was getting the verbal ***** slapping of the decade by some guy, "King Sadi", over the Viper vs. Z06 topic. Apparently, the dweeb does not even have the Z06 anymore because he could not keep up the payments and had to sell it.
why am I not suprised? :rolleyes:

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to say the C6 Z is a fast car no doubt but i will take a Viper any day over a Vette. i raced a Z yesterday in my GT and I destroyed it! I just kept pulling on him hard. I am glad Chevy made the new Z it made Dodge step it up.

Manatee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... us Viper guys will continue doing what we do today...drive and enjoy the most exotic, reliable and exclusive american super car ever built. Sorry, its just fact.

I like Vipers, but the Saleen S7 and Ford GT owners might have something to say about that "fact". :D

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All is back to normal in the Vette forums.
They are back to:

1. Vipers are ugly.
2. Vettes are the best bang for the buck.
3. Vettes are more comfortable and better daily drivers.
4. Vettes have great gas mileage and better for long trips.

LOL!

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The new Viper is CLEARLY the better sports car all objective parts of the the C/D test.

Someone else pointed out that the Z is only available as a coupe, that is a BIG thing for a couple of reasons. First, that is really the only reason it comes away as the lighter car. The Viper is optimized as a convertible, if the Z were it would weigh virtually the same as the Viper if not more. Second, there are some (like myself) who will not buy a sports car in a coupe body style no mater what the performance is. Dodge gives buyers their choice. Also, don't forget that GM charges about $5000 more for their standard Corvette convertible.

Their ratings were pretty strange generally. I'd change the Viper ratings for:

trunk space +2, features +2, Fit/Finish +1, Exterior -1 to Z or +1 for Viper, Price +2, Powertrain composite score +2, Handling +1 (based on their data), Composite Experience +3.

This would make the Viper the winner if it were my test.....

For me even at 51, it is WORTH the extra effort to climb into and out of the Viper!!

Corvettes are an excellent value, but, for pure pleasure, I think the Viper far above the Corvette (Z or convertible).

The Z even loses out to a 400 HP Corvette convertible by my preferences.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like Vipers, but the Saleen S7 and Ford GT owners might have something to say about that "fact". :D

Show me a S7 or FGT with 100,000 miles or even one with 30,000 track miles and I'll show you someone who has had as much fun as I've had. Go ahead, I'll wait. :)

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All is back to normal in the Vette forums.
They are back to:

1. Vipers are ugly.
2. Vettes are the best bang for the buck.
3. Vettes are more comfortable and better daily drivers.
4. Vettes have great gas mileage and better for long trips.

LOL!

Don't forget #5: Wait till the BD comes out :rolleyes: They sound like Cubs fans! (wait till next year!) Oh and BTW, the boys at SRT already have an answer to the BD.

I read that thread over there and was just laughing at the excuses to make themselves feel good as their vehicles depreciate. There are a few true car enthusiasts over there however that can just enjoy the fact that Dodge put out a winner and accept the fact the Viper is king again. And yes, this is coming from a former Vette owner.

SuperBee364

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Vette guys just don't get it, well some of them do but the majority of them are like c6 here...They have a denial problem when it comes to the exclusivity and performance of the Viper. Vettes are as about as exciting to look at as say Honda Accords...There's just too many AARP members driving Vette's these days. The Viper is a head-turner and will always be. The Viper is truly an exotic while the Vette...well I think they get handed out with each AARP membership. The Z06 is a nice car...but the Viper well...its a Viper.

As for performance...whether the Viper beats the Vette in 1 sec or 10 sec does it really matter? The Vette got its ass handed to it...sorry. While the new Viper's numbers are impressive the most wound-licking fact for the Vette guys is this: Dodge decided to reward its Viper community with a bigger, badder, stronger Viper for LESS money...How will GM reward the Vette owners? They will charge them with a $100K+ bolt-on supercharger, maybe if we see the light of day of the Blue Devil.

And what will happen when/if the Blue Devil comes out? Dodge will again take its naturally aspirated V10 to 675+ HP and trounce the Vette once again. And while the Blue Devil guys are reading up on the 2009/2010 Viper ACR in the waiting rooms of many Chevy service centers as their blue devil shredded inards are being replaced under warrany...:D us Viper guys will continue doing what we do today...drive and enjoy the most exotic, reliable and exclusive american super car ever built. Sorry, its just fact.

Let's face it C6, you came here because you know you've been out done with 2008 Viper...you've been outdone by all of the car rags...you've been outdone by Edmunds of all places...You started out here with Denial moved on to Anger/Resentment and are now "Bargaining" to change the results of what everyone else on this planet already knows...the 2008 Viper has spanked you into submission and you can't live with it. There's no time for damage control, you lost and you lost in a big way. The real question is can the Vette guys realize they've been spanked in a much bigger way than simply the awesome Viper numbers alone?

C6 it's time to move on, drive to Starbucks, pickup that "Vente", stick it in your Z06 cup-holder, turn on the traction control and watch as the world revels in the 2008 Viper. Watch as the world drops its jaws at the 2008 Viper while the Vette takes backseat and loathes at the world. You got just spanked my friend.

That's one of the funniest and most accurate posts I've read in a long time.

But on a serious note... *does* the 08 have cup holders?:smirk:

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, I just checked Borders, Barnes & Noble and even some local magazine shops in my area (Portland, Ore.) and no one expects Car & Driver or Road & Track for at least a few more days. How do you guys get your copies so quickly? Do you live right down the street from C&D in Michigan?:)

/Rich

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My last words on the subject until further testing, as I have posted over 'there' (on the dark side):

"As for the 100hp/lot quicker idea, I've read the track was damp at the VIR test, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Viper drops another .1 or .2 vs the Vette when in better hook-up conditions -- we'll see when other tests are printed (as surely every car rag on earth is going to do).

The Z06 is a great car. But part of its greatness, up to this point, was the slim advantage it could claim over an '03-'06 Viper ... so it's all part of the same story, just coming full circle. Personally my biggest beef with the Z06 is the GM bs story about "the Z06 will never be in a convertable -- for pure performance reasons" ... well the Z06 (hardtop) is now chasing a faster roadster ... if Dodge can do it, GM can drop the bs. I'm a convertable guy, so the Z06 has been out of the question (and now with no regrets) ...

... it's amazing to me that Dodge sells the Roadster for about the same dollars as the coupe (whereas GM has a big upcharge on a C6 convertable). I'll bet if GM offered a Z06 convertable, the cost would be close to that of a Viper, but they do not. The Viper roadster is where the amazing bang-for-the-buck really is at, and if you haven't driven a Viper roadster, you don't know what you're missing."

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My last words on the subject until further testing, as I have posted over 'there' (on the dark side):

"As for the 100hp/lot quicker idea, I've read the track was damp at the VIR test, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Viper drops another .1 or .2 vs the Vette when in better hook-up conditions -- we'll see when other tests are printed (as surely every car rag on earth is going to do).

The Z06 is a great car. But part of its greatness, up to this point, was the slim advantage it could claim over an '03-'06 Viper ... so it's all part of the same story, just coming full circle. Personally my biggest beef with the Z06 is the GM bs story about "the Z06 will never be in a convertable -- for pure performance reasons" ... well the Z06 (hardtop) is now chasing a faster roadster ... if Dodge can do it, GM can drop the bs. I'm a convertable guy, so the Z06 has been out of the question (and now with no regrets) ...

... it's amazing to me that Dodge sells the Roadster for about the same dollars as the coupe (whereas GM has a big upcharge on a C6 convertable). I'll bet if GM offered a Z06 convertable, the cost would be close to that of a Viper, but they do not. The Viper roadster is where the amazing bang-for-the-buck really is at, and if you haven't driven a Viper roadster, you don't know what you're missing."

If the track was in fact damp, I would expect much more than .1 or .2, I bet driving a 600 hp car w.out traction control on a damp track is a bit daunting, I expect 1 sec or more, if that was the case.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang