2008 washing question

wgwilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New owner of a 2008 coupe! When washing the car, how do we keep water from entering hood louvers and getting on motor? Is there some type of cover etc.? or just wash and don't worry about it?

Thanks for input.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my GTS I just open the hood when the car is dry and mop up the water with a towel. Wipe down the rest with the now damp towel. Great time to check fluids while the hood is up and you're shining under there. I'll assume the Gen 3 ain't a whole lot different.

And congrats on your new car. Send your Vin # to one of the mods or admins so you can get your title upgraded to Owner. Or better yet, join the VCA and have a picture of that bad boy next to each post!

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do the same. Since I'm going to wipe down everything I can touch on the engine every time I wash the car anyway, it's not big deal that water goes through the vents.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If engine is not too hot, simply place a large towel or two over the engine and accessories prior to washing. This will absorb most of the water. Open the hood when drying. Just dont forget they are there !!!

OP
OP
W

wgwilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for tip, I am a member and have sent in my vin # probably a month ago. Maybe I should call them? George

SSGViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put 2" wide masking tape over them before each wash (just tear it to fit..nothing fancy). Then when washing, avoid directly spraying them. Works for me and keeps the water out.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, George!
Another trick used by many is to carefully ''blow-dry'' the engine bay with a leaf blower. I use a small 125 mph electric model, taking care not to allow it to blow dirt up from the ground. I always use a GOOD cord and a ground fault protected outlet. This makes it a ''breeze'' to dry the engine with a towel later.
Hope to see you Saturday !!!

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup what Steve said. Just wash as usual and pop the hood and blow it down with the leaf blower. Works wonderful!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
"...And congrats on your new car. Send your Vin # to one of the mods or admins so you can get your title upgraded to Owner..."

By the way, George...VCA HDQ DOES have your name..need a kind Moderator to upgrade you. I'll send this to Leslie.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"...And congrats on your new car. Send your Vin # to one of the mods or admins so you can get your title upgraded to Owner..."

By the way, George...VCA HDQ DOES have your name..need a kind Moderator to upgrade you. I'll send this to Leslie.

He's all set.

George, welcome to the club! :2tu:

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a great little Black & Decker blower rechargable with two batteries. Works great for the underhood and wheels. Great for around the lights and door sills too. I also try to not spray too much water in the vent area.

SBMIANO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wash my car after it has cooled off I never wash it while the hood is warm. After washing I open the doors hood and trunck and use a compressor to blow water our including around all seams and lights then I dry it. works like a charm, but my neighbors think I'm off my rocker:crazy2:

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you guys kidding me? you actually cover up the vents? for what possible reason? I was my car once or twice a week and do not pay any attention to the holes, they get lots of water in there just like what would happen if it was driving or sat in rain. Dodge would not have put them their if it was not ok to get wet. Keep your towels for drying the car and not for sticking under the hood.

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are you guys kidding me? you actually cover up the vents? for what possible reason? I was my car once or twice a week and do not pay any attention to the holes, they get lots of water in there just like what would happen if it was driving or sat in rain. Dodge would not have put them their if it was not ok to get wet. Keep your towels for drying the car and not for sticking under the hood.
I was thinking the same thing. While I'm sure it's not wise to shoot streaming water down the vents, water from washing the car is not going to cause any problems. If you want to dry the water off for aesthetics purposes then ok, I do. But to be concerned about harm to the car is unwarranted.

SSGViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tape over them to avoid having the soapy water drip onto the engine and dry into soapy caked on mess by the hot/warm engine while I wash the car. Just less mess to deal with and it only takes a few minutes. What's the big deal? I don't believe anyone said it would harm the engine.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my GTS I just open the hood when the car is dry and mop up the water with a towel. Wipe down the rest with the now damp towel. Great time to check fluids while the hood is up and you're shining under there. I'll assume the Gen 3 ain't a whole lot different.

And congrats on your new car. Send your Vin # to one of the mods or admins so you can get your title upgraded to Owner. Or better yet, join the VCA and have a picture of that bad boy next to each post!
Why dont you :dunno: You should be proud of the white hood vents :D

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess its because I am a old guy and half blind but I had a 2008 Viper and now the 2009 and I wash it like the vents arn't even there and of course I don't spray water directly at the vents but when I raise the hood up to dry and wipe on the motor, I don't see all that much water on the motor at all from the vents and I just take my air compressor and blow out all water from all cracks and crevises on the entire car, including inside after I vaccuum. Like I said my eyes are bad but I sure don't find the vents to be a problem. To me it would be more WORK to cover each vent when I do all the above anyway. Just my experience.....:rolleyes:

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I agree! No reason to cover up the vents... I do use a de-ionized water filteration system though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine