2008 wheel sensors question.

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Putting new 08 ACR rims on my SSG. If I put new rims on without sensors I'm assuming I will have flashing tire light for flat tire. Is this correct? I checked price of new sensors at dealership.... $260.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just use the ones from your stock rims, i used the same set on 10spokes, 5 spokes and h rims

OP
OP
R

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just use the ones from your stock rims, i used the same set on 10spokes, 5 spokes and h rims
I was hoping to leave my five star factory rims/tires mounted. I have new tires to put on ACR rims.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seem to remember that the central computer cannot store two sets of codes for two sets of tires/wheels? I would like to know if this is true also? Paging Mr.Tator, Mr. Jorgenson. By the way where did you get the ACR wheels?

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Putting new 08 ACR rims on my SSG. If I put new rims on without sensors I'm assuming I will have flashing tire light for flat tire. Is this correct? I checked price of new sensors at dealership.... $260.

What is the cost of the ACR rims? Any issues or direct fit? Thanks

fixumm

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just put a new set of wheels,tire & sensors on my 08. I figured I would have to reprogram them so after the install i got in turned the key and no light and still no light after 150 miles?

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Check with parts rack he has a better price.

and yes you are correct about the lotire light. It will be in black in the LCD above the odo. You will get 1 ding when you start the car and thats it, the lotire will display the whole time right next to "doors unlocked" and above the odo.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just put a new set of wheels,tire & sensors on my 08. I figured I would have to reprogram them so after the install i got in turned the key and no light and still no light after 150 miles?

Yes i thought the same thing but right around 175-200 miles my lotire light is on and it does not go off....lol I check the tire psi also:D. I need to make an appointment at the dealer so they can calibrate my new sensors.... I was told that there is NOWAY the new sensors can calibrate themselves:(

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's what I thought. You can't just swap out sets of wheels and sensors, only the original set will be recognized. I would really like to be wrong about this......

no I didn't say that, what I said was that your new sensors will have to be calibrated.

I was told by someone before that the system CAN remember 8 sensors and will reconize the sensors once all 8 are calibrated.

So in other words once I get my new sensors calibrated i could take off my new wheels and put on my old wheels (with my original sensors) and not get a lotire light:dunno:

I have not tried this yet but if i do i will post

OP
OP
R

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told by someone before that the system CAN remember 8 sensors and will reconize the sensors once all 8 are calibrated.

So in other words once I get my new sensors calibrated i could take off my new wheels and put on my old wheels (with my original sensors) and not get a lotire light:dunno:
I am going to confirm this with dealer today and if this is the case order new sensors. I'll post what I find out

ACR rims were from partsrack 3500. Thanks Jon B

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the cost of the ACR rims? Any issues or direct fit? Thanks

acr rims are also known as sidewinders (standard on copperhead) so they are direct fit

cost last time i checked

used $2700
new $3700(polished) #2700 non polished
.. i'm not sure on the painted/powdercoated prices for the acr finished rims

fixumm

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK after around 150 plus miles my tire light came on after the swap..... and it seems you have to go to the dealer to get them reset:mad: I have most of the tools but not for the new viper....:crazy2: i called a local dealer i mean how could the fu*k that up:eater::eater: and they told me it would take most of the day to do:nono::nono::nono: what a joke

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK after around 150 plus miles my tire light came on after the swap..... and it seems you have to go to the dealer to get them reset:mad: I have most of the tools but not for the new viper....:crazy2: i called a local dealer i mean how could the fu*k that up:eater::eater: and they told me it would take most of the day to do:nono::nono::nono: what a joke

See what I mean:D I did the same crap. All Day?? Well that makes sense 8:00 check -in
let everyone sit in it and touch it......9-11:30. Then the service manager takes it to lunch and drives thru the Mcdonalds so the pimple faced workers point and say "COOL CAR MAN!" (noon-1:00). Then back to the shop and the service guy gets the car and has to read-up on the internet how to calibrate wheels sensors.........(1:00-3:30) Then last but not least they drive the car thru the dealers crappy carwash with brushes because they have to get the mud of the side of the car from the service manager missing the driveway at McDonald's.(3:30-4:00) Now you come in to pay these guy's for there time:omg::omg:

Disclaimer-----------This could possibly happen....lol:rolaugh:

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It takes like 5 minutes to program a set of wheels to a car... same system on the 08's as is on the 03-06's... You have do it with a DRBIII...

The reason you don't see a light immediately after changing wheels is that it takes 7 key cycles (trips) before it will declare the "programmed" set missing. At that time you get the warning that is telling you bad / no sensor info.

The sensors are availabe at NAPA... and they may even have the programming tool.

The Chrysler part is 52088990AC - NAPA equiv is 92-1016 / Service Kit 92-0120

The 52088990AC sensor was also used on 2002-2003 Caravans / 2002-2004 Intrepid-Concord-300m's / 2002 prowlers... so maybe you can find some in the junkyard now as well. The sensor batteries are rated for 10 year lifespans.

I found them for about $30 each around the web. But the "Mopar" web price was around $60 and NAPA is $59.79.

Here is the NAPA part guide for TPMS sensors... http://www.gwallace.org/newTPMS_guide.pdf

Last edited:

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK now you guys are scaring me! I went to the track last month put on track tires and wheels no sensors. Drove two days track miles 275 and back and forth to the Hotel with the same tires/wheels on. No Light no ding no limp mode. I am going back again on June 18 and 19. Now I am thinking I should take my stock tires and wheels along to set next to the car after each "run" so the sensors will talk to the computer and I dont have a problem. I think this should work, anyone else think this will work???????:drive::drive::drive:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No light, no ding, no limp mode, The only thing I have experienced is the "LO TIRE" code in the odometer. It is small so unless you look for it you will not see it. Done this for 2+ years and it has not been worth reprogramming every time I switch wheels.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK now you guys are scaring me! I went to the track last month put on track tires and wheels no sensors. Drove two days track miles 275 and back and forth to the Hotel with the same tires/wheels on. No Light no ding no limp mode. I am going back again on June 18 and 19. Now I am thinking I should take my stock tires and wheels along to set next to the car after each "run" so the sensors will talk to the computer and I dont have a problem. I think this should work, anyone else think this will work???????:drive::drive::drive:

why would you do that???? the car does not go into "limp mode" or anything like that.
the only thing that will happen you will have "lotire" displayed above the odo and you will get 1 ding when you first start the car up. I have new sensors in my new wheels and still have not made an appointment at the dealer. (so in other words it doesn't bother me that it displays Lotire in the display) Well it bugs me alittle thats why i bought the new sensors in the first place but I just have not had any spare time.

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Everyone here needs to talk to Dan at Viper Specialty. I just gave him my sensor codes (the dealed gave them to me)and Dan is going to "clone" me a new set to go in my second set of wheels. Get ahold of dan he will explain it to you! Thanks, Dan!