2009 ACR and Splitter modification question

Tim Purtell

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have a new 2009 ACR (YEA!!!!!). I trailer the car to events and want to use the frame slots with R hooks to secure the car to the trailer. The rear slots are easily accessible - no problem. The front slots (normally accessible on the car) are partially blocked by my new $5000+ carbon fiber splitter. A non-official recommendation came from a tech at the dealer was to take a dremel grinder and cut the splitter area that partially covers the slot and remove about 1/2" by 1/2" section of the carbon fiber there to open up that slot area so it can be used as the anchor point it was intended to be. He said that using the anchor slot "as is" with no cutting will absolutely stress/break the splitter and in looking at it, I absolutely agree. A friend who owns an ACR views cutting (even a little) the splitter as a 'terrible idea' and uses axle straps up front instead.

Is it OK to cut the splitter away a bit to gain access to the slot? Thanks!!!

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cut the splitter on my CC so the the slots were accessable. I did that 2 years ago and have had no problems with the splitter since then. That is the easiest fix and no problems.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The easiest way is to buy an open center trailer. I've owned a few, they're light and can be towed with any V8 SUV. With the open center you crawl under the trailer when you hook it up and the straps come down out of the way of the splitter, it works great, secure and no mods.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Makes me shiver to think about cutting the splitter but I guess if you measured twice and cut once and were extremely careful then it might be ok.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I cut some very small sections out of the rear / sides of my CF splitter to allow use of the oblong holes in the frame for tie down.

Towed to about 9 events this year, no issues.

Just mark it, take your time and cut it out. Dremel steel cutting tool works very well.

Really silly that Dodge didn't allow for us to tie our ACR's down with the OE frame holes.

Dan

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dremel The Splitter...
DONT use axle-straps and risk the harmonic issues of bobbing-floating suspensions while trailering...or possibly bending an A arm.

OP
OP
T

Tim Purtell

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got under the car to cut the splitter back a bit and it is not clear on just how much to take. Attached is the close up picture. The trouble is that the splitter is about 3/4" away from the frame/slot so I'm not sure how much to take. Anyone that has cut it back ... do you happen to have a picture of how much you cut back and what tiedown you use that keeps it away from the splitter?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Splitter blocking slot.jpg
    Splitter blocking slot.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 75

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke to Chuck Tator about this when i first bought my ACR, and he said to cut the splitter as well.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use axle straps & attach them to the frame, no troubles & no issues with re aligning car.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tim,

I cut along the angled part of the splitter and left the bend / fold intact for strength, then cut the bottom back about even with the bottom of the frame. I took out a small, triangular piece of the CF.

I use "R" hooks with a chain like attached to them that I bought from: Towing | Recovery | Repo | Safety | Service Truck Equipment and Supplies - AW Direct

Good luck,

Dan

I agree with DAN 100%. Cut the splitter. I cut mine just enough to expose the full slot in the frame. I use R hooks too. Have trailered that car thousands of miles over some pretty crappy roads and have had NO problems.

Steve A.

OP
OP
T

Tim Purtell

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cut the splitter as shown in this picture. I trailered it to the track this weekend and everything worked out well. Thanks to all for the advice.

Attachments

• viper Internals 002.jpg
    viper Internals 002.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 53

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang