2010 ACR won't pass inspection

Viper Garage Elite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Last year when driving 2010 acr the check engine light came on when I was babying the car on warm up . Cleared the code which was for the O2 sensor.Check engine light is off and decided that it was my fault for running her at to low of rpm during warm up. This happened one more time last year and again cleared check engine code with no problems. Did not put to many miles on her this year doesn't make me to happy, about 300. Took car for inspection and have 2 not readys one is the 02 sensor and the other is for the catalyst. Car drives absolutly perfect and will not drive her in 4th at low rpm which triggered the check engine light. My question is how long for the computer to clear itself orhow many cycles to get it ready. Inspection is now 3 months past due and will not pass in NY with 2 not readys. Have taken it several times, after driving with no prevail. Any suggestions, car is headered with complete Bellanger system. Thank you

Blue Blurr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like it is time to take it to your dealership. I do not think your mods affect your warranty. For what it is worth, I have a 2010 that is driven a low RPMs almost all of the time. Seldom sees over 40MPH in 5th gear. I have over 10,000 miles with no problems, so I do not think low RPMs could be the problem with your car. I think I read somewhere in this forum that you need to install a special Mopar PCM when modifying the exhaust system on a Gen 4 Viper. Maybe the one of the experts here can chime in on this. In any case, I do suggest that vipers give less problems if driven frequently, plus it is fun! Good luck to you.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm, another Gen 4 with CEL issues. Nothing new but I feel your pain as do many other owners. The car is super sensitive to any after market stuff other than a shift knob it seems. I would get your dealer tech to fix it under warranty asap. The Mopar unit as mentioned works for this problem but here in Texas anyway its a real hassle to have one installed IMO as it will not pass inspection with it on and owners have to put the oem unit back on to pass each year and then put the Mopar unit back on again.

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mopar PCM will turn off the 02 sensors and stop the check engine light and delete the skip shift as well. You still will have to put back in the oem controller to pass emissions. I believe it takes about three start up cycles to clear it. Or you can clear it manually then hurry to the dealership and get it tested before the PCM sends a signal to he 02 sensors. My brother had the same problem and he was running the same set up with the mopar controller. He did this and got it done, dealer told him how.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like it is time to take it to your dealership. I do not think your mods affect your warranty. For what it is worth, I have a 2010 that is driven a low RPMs almost all of the time. Seldom sees over 40MPH in 5th gear. I have over 10,000 miles with no problems, so I do not think low RPMs could be the problem with your car. I think I read somewhere in this forum that you need to install a special Mopar PCM when modifying the exhaust system on a Gen 4 Viper. Maybe the one of the experts here can chime in on this. In any case, I do suggest that vipers give less problems if driven frequently, plus it is fun! Good luck to you.

When you modify the exhaust system, you are not going to have any warranty as far as passing smog inspection....so forget the dealer. Any help is going to have to come from the guys on the forum....so the OP is asking the question at the right place. Good luck.

Bill

OP
OP
V

Viper Garage Elite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I completely agree with you smog dog but the only time I had an issue with cel is when I babied the c ar during warm up. VIPER PIT there is no check engine light on and there hasn't been since last year. The computer won't ready up.Tell me how I can manually clear and will be glad to.thanks for the help

OP
OP
V

Viper Garage Elite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmmm, another Gen 4 with CEL issues. Nothing new but I feel your pain as do many other owners. The car is super sensitive to any after market stuff other than a shift knob it seems. I would get your dealer tech to fix it under warranty asap. The Mopar unit as mentioned works for this problem but here in Texas anyway its a real hassle to have one installed IMO as it will not pass inspection with it on and owners have to put the oem unit back on to pass each year and then put the Mopar unit back on again.
the same here in NY and was told that by the installer that there would not be any issues with the exhaust. Will the mopar pcm clear the cels then I would do exactly that take the computers and change them once a year.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
To figure this out, the code and car itself really needs to be checked, cleared, and the monitors need to be checked. The monitors may not actually be running for one reason or another.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the same here in NY and was told that by the installer that there would not be any issues with the exhaust. Will the mopar pcm clear the cels then I would do exactly that take the computers and change them once a year.

You can NOT pass emissions with a Mopar PCM. You need to tell us the exact code you are getting. We don't have enough information to help you.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You can NOT pass emissions with a Mopar PCM. You need to tell us the exact code you are getting. We don't have enough information to help you.

Exactly. The Mopar PCM turns off the CEL's, but it ALSO turns off the monitors, which need to be running to pass inspection in NY.

1MEANASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a 2010 also - headers ,hi flows,corsa ported intake, and mopar pcm. def will not pass ny insp. so put origional pcm back in and drove about 1000 miles - keep getting codes for the o2's plus misfires of #6 and sometimes #2 - also tried the quick reset way, which is a series starting and driving dif speeds and slowing down without brakeing - nothing would work. this was over a period of 2 months - long story short - set up llc in montana , registerd it - no inspections, just yearly reg. i also had same issue with 08 chally - it had headers, hi flows, and corsa exhaustny is as bad as cali.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
PA is not better! The worst part is, emissions is only for the heavily populated counties here!
At least we have the 5000 miles per year exemption, however, you still have to pass the first time.

I thing the OP is between a rock and a hard place. I'm interested to know the final solution.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A full belanger system will pass emission monitors and have no codes if:

1. The header gaskets are not leaking
2. The downstream oxygen sensors and wiring are ok
3. The high flow cats are in good shape

If you are getting codes, the computer is trying to tell you something.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Headers = check engine light PERIOD! I can get you passed at my guy if you want untill you figure out the issues.. My # is in your pm...

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Dan @ DC Performance, 310-597-6295, or Eddie Martin at Bill Luke Dodge in Phoenix. Both have done alot of bellanger installs in Gen IV's and both are in states with stiff smog requirements.

I think you need to clear the codes and drive your car fairly hard (20-30 miles) to get heat in the cats, then get to the smog station. Both have told me in the past it's only a matter of time for the CEL to go off with the bellangers, and light RPM crusing accelerates the time.

Or find some friendly test station? Once you get beyond the smog, buy the mopar ecu, a little more hp and torque, no skip shift, no emissions related CEL's, and, you probably already buy 93 at the pump in NY. good luck, Mike

OP
OP
V

Viper Garage Elite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Call Dan @ DC Performance, 310-597-6295, or Eddie Martin at Bill Luke Dodge in Phoenix. Both have done alot of bellanger installs in Gen IV's and both are in states with stiff smog requirements.

I think you need to clear the codes and drive your car fairly hard (20-30 miles) to get heat in the cats, then get to the smog station. Both have told me in the past it's only a matter of time for the CEL to go off with the bellangers, and light RPM crusing accelerates the time.

Or find some friendly test station? Once you get beyond the smog, buy the mopar ecu, a little more hp and torque, no skip shift, no emissions related CEL's, and, you probably already buy 93 at the pump in NY. good luck, Mike
thanks will do that also will have Dan Lessar look it over

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Screw all that, your car just passed with flying colors my friend :D