2012 GT-R takes down the ACR's record?

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GTR has shift speeds of 0.2 seconds per shift or less. Around the ring there are hundreds of shifts. The T56 requires around 0.5 seconds to shift. Much time is lost driving a T56 compared to the new high tech boxes with electronic clutches etc.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is interesting speculation. Refresh my memory, but didn't Kuno Wittmer (a Pro) run the '10 at Laguna versus the 09 test which was an SRT engineer? I could be wrong on that one.

As far as running at the redline in 4th gear versus going into 5th gear, I don't know why but these cars die in 5th gear (YES, I have been at the redline in 4th and tried 5th on many occasion, incl VIR, Sebring, Mid-O, only to see my lap times suffer), and nobody uses it to my knowledge when racing. You can go 160 in 4th gear. So you can drop into 5th and actually slow down, then come up to 175 if you have a long enough straight, or just keep it in 4th. I talked to Kuno at the UTCC (VIR) and also Sebring, and at both tracks he said the 5th gear is worthless (even on VIR's long straights and the back straight at Sebring) and never used it. His video from VIR is proof...it's on the UTCC website. I doubt he used 5th at Laguna, so the slightly improved lap time is likely all driver or perhaps conditions, imo. Even Kuno will vary lap times by a sec at a track like VIR. Some guy supposedly ran 3 sec faster than Kuno at VIR during the VC (although the time was DQ'd), so don't put too much stock in a second with diff drivers in diff conditions.
I agree...1-2 second improvement could be directly correlated to a slightly better driver/conditions/temperature/etc... hardly anything to do with a revised 5th gear...

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow. id almost have sex with you. :)
no, just kidding.

c'mon.....you guys really think youre gonna raise this kind of capital just because a few guys are heartbroken that perhaps a faster car will come out very soon and beat 7:22?
automotive "records" dont stand very long. this is nothing but an ego exercise, but its still fun i guess.
good luck with it.

The problem is that the cars coming out aren't actually faster cars. The ACR had what 4 laps with a driver who'd never driven an actual ACR before compared to factory test drivers and such with hundreds of laps in the same car.

I think everyone just wants to see the true representation of the vehicle. It was ok when a paltry effort still dominated everyone else, but now people are catching up, it's time to get real.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boxer watch the Ring ACR vid, he uses 5th alot, especially down that long back straight. The revised gearing would make a substancial difference in my opinion.
I watched it again. The vid on youtube doesn't show speeds or gears. I didn't see him grab 5th gear at any point. Maybe I am not seeing it right. :dunno:

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I watched it again. The vid on youtube doesn't show speeds or gears. I didn't see him grab 5th gear at any point. Maybe I am not seeing it right. :dunno:

You're right Boxer, he never used 5th gear at all. Even in just my gen 3, as soon I put it in 5th, it slows down big time.

After watching the video, I'm just shocked how slow his shifting was and I personally did not like how he shift up to 3rd from 2nd because I use just the palm of my hand instead like he used the whole hand.

I remember an instructor told me that I should use a higher gear since my Vipers have alot of torque on the lower rpm also. It's true but I was kinda pissed at him because I could never get out of the corner faster, it would act like its bogging down at first before I get into the higher rpm.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte