2012 Next Gen Viper, Why isn't there more rumors, spy shots, etc.

funky977

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This might have been addressed somewhere else, but thought I would bring it up. Why isn't there more leaked information regarding the next gen Viper? To this point we know that there might be a clay model, but that isn't definitive (or is it). It seems to me the development of a true 2012 car would be much further along. I know Herb is passing along suggestions, and the VOI is upcoming. Is that the coming out party?

Any information would be great. Nothing against Gen IV, but to me, the Gen V has a chance to define the Chrysler group and their next evolution with Fiat.

I need something to look forward to since I don't current have one in the garage.

Matt

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You didn't see this recent exclusive here on the VCA site?

gen5.jpg

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no data on a 2012 model because there will be no 2012 model. If there is going to be a Gen V Viper, the first model year is expected to be 2013. As for leakage, my praise goes to the individuals in charge of the SRT Gen V program, assuming there is one, and Dodge. At this time, leaks ar not appropriate. With that said, there is a history of giving us a teaser at VOI so it might be worthwhile to book the event just in case history repeats itself.

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't expect any news until the '10's are off the dealer floors. These Dodge boys are fast learners and won't make the same mistake twice. I bought a '10 because there is NO news and there jut might not be ANY!

I did find out the SRT 8's will be 6.4's in '11 at 500 HP's.

PBR

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't expect any news until the '10's are off the dealer floors. These Dodge boys are fast learners and won't make the same mistake twice. I bought a '10 because there is NO news and there jut might not be ANY!

I did find out the SRT 8's will be 6.4's in '11 at 500 HP's.

PBR

I think the 6.4 is going to be 475 HP.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
As said above, it will likely be a late 2013 or an early 2014. Think about it... Spy Shots of the 2012 Jeep SRT8 are JUST leaking out recently, so I would say we have another year before anyone sees anything at all.

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this is what it will look like...just drop it and at least leave an incredible legacy for future car buffs. I am afraid the Dodge cars we love to remember are gone forever. I personally don't think a true Viper will ever be built again. Savor what we do have. I hope i am wrong,but Corporate greed and conservationists seem to be in control of not only America,but the world. I am glad i lived during a time when America had an identity that was both feared and respected. I am also sad to see what is happening to our country and the world in general.I will always remember myself as a sixteen year old boy in the mid sixties,sitting on my front porch on a Saturday night in Manassas Virginia,and just watching all the souped up muscle cars cruising Center street. That was America my friends,and that was freedom.

jman2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow, wish i was there with you musclenutz, i'm about half your age but if i had a time machine i'd go back to dem good ole days and just bask in the tire burning glory.... when cars were cars, and the drivers were apart of the outcome, now a days it's all computers....best thing to come of the internet age are webforums haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Change is inevitable. The good ole times are the good old times for all generations. Hell most of my friends still want to go back to the 80s (me included) Maybe not the fastest cars (well definitely not the fastest cars) but the most care free fun I ever had in my life. That is the just the generational aspect of life. Each generation had good AND BAD, though everyone is quick to forget the bad.

GEN V if there is one, will be THE CAR to have as they know what a Viper should be and if they can build it, they will try to get as close as the government will let them get to the heart of the Viper car. If they can't, they may have another car that comes out to replace what the Viper was with a completely new name. Either way, we still have a bunch of used ones out there that can be still be enjoyed. Thank you for the "grandfathered" clause.

Personally the way the Vette ripped off the styling of the Viper, I don't blame them for waiting to release until the last moment. New Vette needs to come out soon, so let them release that first, then the Viper can come out and show them how a car should really look. That is just smart.

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wouldn't hold my breath for the next gen Viper period. Market conditions killed the car and market conditions will dictate if it comes back and nothing else.

Last edited:
V

Venomiss

There is no data on a 2012 model because there will be no 2012 model. If there is going to be a Gen V Viper, the first model year is expected to be 2013. As for leakage, my praise goes to the individuals in charge of the SRT Gen V program, assuming there is one, and Dodge. At this time, leaks ar not appropriate. With that said, there is a history of giving us a teaser at VOI so it might be worthwhile to book the event just in case history repeats itself.

You should be there. Just in case.:)

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dosent have to come back..I got mine..he he he

I dont expect anything till 2014-2015 for the Viper. If anything at all. It's dead the way i see it. So just cherish what we have and the 18 year run we had..

Right now and surely for a few more years the 550 rwhp gen4's are untouchable by anything under 115K...And only a few cars under 200K..

Considering you can get a very for 84K thats a bargain!!!!!!!!!!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 1961, we had a Ford tripower 390 with a stick on the column and dumper tubes. In 1964, I had the first Barracuda Formula S in New England. In 1964 my brother had a 426 Plymouth. In 1967, I had another Barracuda Formula S. You know what? They were all great cars but they did not hold a candle to any of my cars today. In fact by today's standards of acceleration and speed they were much slower. I would be bored to distraction by them now. They also did not handle or brake as well. When I see these cars today do I have fond memories? Yes. But that's all they are. The glorified, "good old muscle cars" were crap compared to what we have today. When I watch the auctions on TV an see well to do late middle aged men pay incredible sums for these cars, one word comes to mind: "Ridiculous". I look forward with excitement and anticipation for a meaner looking, faster, better handling Gen V Viper. I like change that results in a better product. ( Not Obama's kind.) It keeps one's mind active.

Flying Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"If they can't, they may have another car that comes out to replace what the Viper was with a completely new name."

Wouldn't we, as owners benefit in the future if they did let the Viper name die out ?

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK- I found it. It's in print. Not just rumor this time...IN PRINT....!!!!!:usa:

Read Page 80 of the September 2010 issue of Car and Driver.
Look under Dodge....
It says.....Dead: Viper

You have to believe THAT don't you?:rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh:

PBR

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car & Driver has never been accurate to anything. Believe it when I don't see it. The answer to the question would we benefit from death? Yes and no. New GEN V may attract more owners, then demand may go up on older ones as they collect from a larger pool or owners so no. If it dies and stays dead, then demand may go up due to out of production aspect, so yes.

Either way, I think it will do fine, but most might be dead themselves before it has insane numbers in the future. Collector cars are funny.

ViperLSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like how I read that most Viper owners are only concerned if their current Viper will increase in value or not if there is or isn't a Gen V viper.
There is so much rolling around in my head right now. I built the Viper from 97 until 2010. I went from building ten Vipers a day on the morning shift to building 450 plus Ram 1500 and Dakotas on afternoons. Don't get me wrong I'm happy I can still provide for my family. But come on. I would rather be back building the premiere sports car in Chrysler than slinging parts like I am now.

P.S. Friends should not let friends drunk post. So take this post with a grain of salt.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there is a Gen V Viper in the future...

A few times I have heard about a full scale clay model that was in Irvine before the sale to Fiat. It was said to be more of a combo of Gen II & III. No clamshell hood. Very **** and looked sort of like the Volado car. I asked the Volado designer if Dodge had ever contacted him, he said no. So its not that car, but people who saw the clay mock up said it looks very similar.

Herb has been on the Trail, asking what we want on the next Viper. Time is of the essence sort of thing. I doubt he would waste his time if something isn't in the works. Also with the track records Viper recently laid down, why quit now? Chrysler just posted another profitable qtr. Doesn't really make sense to let go of the halo car...

Last week we test drove a 2011 Jeep GC... The dealer had a lot of customers on the lot. I think things are looking up for Chrysler in general. :2tu:

Edit: this is my lucky post 777... so it must be true... LOL :rolaugh::rolaugh:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea but over here in Europe Dodge and maybe even Chrysler will eventually disappear again :(

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 1961, we had a Ford tripower 390 with a stick on the column and dumper tubes. In 1964, I had the first Barracuda Formula S in New England. In 1964 my brother had a 426 Plymouth. In 1967, I had another Barracuda Formula S. You know what? They were all great cars but they did not hold a candle to any of my cars today. In fact by today's standards of acceleration and speed they were much slower. I would be bored to distraction by them now. They also did not handle or brake as well. When I see these cars today do I have fond memories? Yes. But that's all they are. The glorified, "good old muscle cars" were crap compared to what we have today. When I watch the auctions on TV an see well to do late middle aged men pay incredible sums for these cars, one word comes to mind: "Ridiculous". I look forward with excitement and anticipation for a meaner looking, faster, better handling Gen V Viper. I like change that results in a better product. ( Not Obama's kind.) It keeps one's mind active.

+3! My thoughts exactly - I do like them for nostalgia and for models on my shelf.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At present , I think the odds of a 2012 or 13 Viper are about as good as a 2012 Packard.

If somewhere down the road the company gets flush with money, they may trot out the name 'Viper" and stick it on some Mustang competing 6 ******--the worst of all worlds.

Either bring it back better (doubtful) or let it rest in peace. In the words of Carly Simon, "these are the good old days."

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all the negative news we have to deal with in today's world, thinking of what a Gen V Viper might be like is a nice escape. When my wife and I drive our Gen IV it brings smiles from nearly everyone around us. Ralph, if you are reading our posts, please build a Gen V and we the Viper enthusiasts of the world will buy them! I guarantee it will continue to spread happiness and enthusiasm wherever it travels and wear a Dodge badge to boot!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like how I read that most Viper owners are only concerned if their current Viper will increase in value or not if there is or isn't a Gen V viper.
There is so much rolling around in my head right now. I built the Viper from 97 until 2010. I went from building ten Vipers a day on the morning shift to building 450 plus Ram 1500 and Dakotas on afternoons. Don't get me wrong I'm happy I can still provide for my family. But come on. I would rather be back building the premiere sports car in Chrysler than slinging parts like I am now.

P.S. Friends should not let friends drunk post. So take this post with a grain of salt.

Show up to VOI, I shall buy your beer.................................. :2tu:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
The roof line, tapering into those haunches, echos the Ferrari 599. Looks like a "Ferviper". With Ferrari's agressive model introduction plans, maybe the next Viper will be leftover parts from Fiats' Ferrari bin of old models?

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At present , I think the odds of a 2012 or 13 Viper are about as good as a 2012 Packard.

If somewhere down the road the company gets flush with money, they may trot out the name 'Viper" and stick it on some Mustang competing 6 ******--the worst of all worlds.

Either bring it back better (doubtful) or let it rest in peace. In the words of Carly Simon, "these are the good old days."

Agreed. I went out and bought a 2006 GTO, just because I had to.... I needed to see for myself what the car was about. Well, in 6 months it was gone. And it was not a GTO. It was a GrandAM with an LS motor in it.

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow, wish i was there with you musclenutz, i'm about half your age but if i had a time machine i'd go back to dem good ole days and just bask in the tire burning glory.... when cars were cars, and the drivers were apart of the outcome, now a days it's all computers....best thing to come of the internet age are webforums haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Yes,those were some real fun days alright. Their were some bad times during the sixties too mind you,but when i am reminiscing i try to remember good stuff. Their already is enough bad stuff in modern times,so what's the use of looking back if it just makes you feel bad? Change surely is inevitable,but that don't mean you have to accept the bad and go on . If all i thought of were bad times,i would not be a happy camper. Why anyone would criticize an old man his good memories is beyond me. Remember to smile and forget to frown. And just drive! :drive:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery