2012 ZR1 sets new ring record

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice to see the actually put a set of decent tires on the car.

Well done!

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the 2010 ACR could beat that easily I believe. Shame we'll never know by exactly how much

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, we beat the crap out of this prematurely-dead horse topic months ago. People on both sides of the "take a '10 ACR to the 'ring" argument; I was heavily "hell, yes!" on the subject.

So, nay-sayers, how you all feel about it now? There would be something utterly sublime about besting an as-yet unavailable halo 'Vette with the soon-to-be previous Gen Viper ACR.

Ralph, let's do it! What better way to re-introduce SRT?

OP
OP
P

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would only happen if Sergio wants to take the record back strictly for bragging rights.
Supposedly it's what sold him on continuing Viper.
IMO, with full factory backing, prep like the ZR1 had and a great driver the '10 ACR could run 7:15.

TALK TO HIM RALPH

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guess our Ring record decals are obsolete now. At the end of our Ring video, driver Tom Colonel says "hey Corvette eat my dust". Well, we have eaten it for now I guess......and it will probably be a LONG time if ever that Dodge brings the new Viper back to the Ring for a re-match. The Vette forum must love this news.

F

FrgMstr

Congrats to Chevy, great to see another American car company come out on top. FU Europe. ;)

zoomie

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Okay, we beat the crap out of this prematurely-dead horse topic months ago. People on both sides of the "take a '10 ACR to the 'ring" argument; I was heavily "hell, yes!" on the subject.

So, nay-sayers, how you all feel about it now? There would be something utterly sublime about besting an as-yet unavailable halo 'Vette with the soon-to-be previous Gen Viper ACR.

Ralph, let's do it! What better way to re-introduce SRT?

HELL YES ! SERGIO ?? Ralph ?? you in ??

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do we pay VCA dues? Opportunties to buy raffle tickets? Send a car over there on the VCA dime and be done with it.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Congrats to Chevy, great to see another American car company come out on top. FU Europe. ;)

Exactly..... even if they DID use an "optional" tire !!

Viper set the record August 2008, and the record stood for, what, almost 3 YEARS? Wanna bet it does NOT take 3 years for SRT to respond?

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Why do we pay VCA dues? Opportunties to buy raffle tickets? Send a car over there on the VCA dime and be done with it.

I think KALA, PLum and even some Euro-Members were leading the charge on this a while back...... had a plan suggested. I think the club DID "support" SRT on the 1st run with a services-trade. Maybe development of the DVD? And some kinda trade? I dont think any hard-cash was asked for, or donated to the effort. Ditto for Laguna. I can think of a few sponsors who might put hard dollars into another record run..... I know one vendor offered in the past, and was kindly turned down, "no mechanism in place for taking money" was the reply

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/640603-Nurburgring-Record-Cost?highlight=Nurburgring

Last edited:

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's a incredible car anyway you look at it. And that dude sure knows how to handle it.Sweet :)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
congrats to GM. now SRT better get their **** together and do it fast. heck, id love to see RALPH pull this off with him in the dang car. how kool would that be ? I bet thats never been done by a GM exec

RALPH, GET PRACTICING !!!

im surprised nobody took us up on that offer jon. it cant be too hard to make it happen

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems to me we have only GM's word that it is really a 2012 Corvette and not a ringer. Wait till they take a production model someone buys in Europe and then does this again. Call me a skeptic but I don't trust GM to tell the truth about a car not yet released.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Get the 10' over there and run it. Would be sad to see the Gen 4 ACR not hold the title it's fully capable of holding.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you watch the full video he states in the video that this car is missing safety equipment and other things that will have to be in the production car and will make it heavier. Not sure how much heavier but heavier.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I figure the new ZR1 is gonna have that record for the better part of a year.....I'd like to be wrong, but I think the press introduction of the new 2013 Viper will likely include a Ring session. I also hope the 2013 Viper has even better tires to go along with the 2010 tranmission and the rumored weight reductions.

As for the 2008 ACR's and their decals, yes for a while there, the Viper was the fastest production car in the world, Corvette wasn't....neither were a few other marques.

The current list of fastest cars are:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring_lap_times

Regards,
Aaron

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Again, just like Nissan. Time starts at the END of pit row, but stops at the Start of pit row. EDIT I was wrong. I just watched the ACR vid, SRT started and stopped timing at the same place. Good job on Corvettes part. I bet that the time difference between the 08 ACR and the not yet released Vette was made up on the last straight. My Gen 4 hit's the limiter in 4th at 164 mph and I would think the 08 ACR is around that also. The Vette was hitting 183-4 down that section. The 08 was bouncing off the rev limiter in 4th all the way down that section. So the Vette was 15-20 mph faster down that last part and that is it.

Someone else mentioned a 7:15 for the Gen V. I sure hope not. If you remember, SRT was expecting a 7:15-7:18 out of the 08 ACR. I expect the Gen V to be much better than 7:15.

Last edited:

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Time starts at the END of pit row, but stops at the Start of pit row.

Wow, ya with those few seconds missing its still slower than the vipers.. weird.

I mentioned this on the corvette forum and even examined the ACR's vid. The ACR's timing is done the same way. I guess that's the "standard" measurement for the ring.

I think I'm going to adopt this method of lap-timing for all my track events. haha

Last edited:

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you watch the full video he states in the video that this car is missing safety equipment and other things that will have to be in the production car and will make it heavier. Not sure how much heavier but heavier.

Actually he states "we do have to add some safety equipment that adds weight to the vehicle and actually slows us down a little bit" meaning they added safety equipment to the car to run the Ring.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well let's see how the ZR1 does on other tracks up againast a '10 ACR.
This is one track no doubt GM was well prepared for unlike the Viper attempt.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IF IF the new Viper has 640 hp like the ACR X (ZR 1 has 638) along with the 2010 gearing thats out now, I believe it will be very close IF Dodge decides to bring it back to the Ring. The current gearing may alleviate hitting the rev limiter down the back straight as was the case with Tom C. and lost valuable time. The ZR 1 will be king until then and the run was even done without a full time pro driver or hot shoe like Tom Colonel.

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess we could ask SRT on June 21st if there are any plans to respond to the ZR1's lap time with a 2010 ACR. But I doubt they would tell us beforehand even if they do have something planned.

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I really wish they would take the 2010 ACR on there and crush the ZR1s time just for the hell of it. I think it would lower the vette owner's morale a bit when an 'older' car steps in and retakes the title with minimal effort, and then the same brand re-ups it when the 2012 comes out :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang