2012 ZR1 sets new ring record

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta give credit to Chevy! Tires being equal the Zr1 beat the ACR fair and square! Time for Dodge to step up or shut up:eater:

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So they have these Optional Michelin Sport Cup Zero Pressure Tires on the Vette. Does that mean they are Sport Cup run-flats? I thought run flats on a track car were a no, no?

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta give credit to Chevy! Tires being equal the Zr1 beat the ACR fair and square! Time for Dodge to step up or shut up:eater:

that vette had no extra aero on it as well, no big ass wing, no big splitter, no canards, throw those on and see another 6 or more seconds come off the time. just watch the video and see him sliding in the corners, he even went off the track numerous times.

Dodge better step up their game is all i can say

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I really wish they would take the 2010 ACR on there and crush the ZR1s time just for the hell of it. I think it would lower the vette owner's morale a bit when an 'older' car steps in and retakes the title with minimal effort, and then the same brand re-ups it when the 2012 comes out :)

I'm with this guy. Crush it!

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beat the 08 ACR. Not the fastest of the breed.

Seriously, we need to stop this bs of could have, should have, ect, ect... We are sounding just like the Vette owners did when the ACR crushed their time and they ******* about the tires:rolleyes: Chevy kicked ass period! Time for Dodge to step up or shut up period!! In the meantime, Hot Damn that Vette is fasssssst:headbang:

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm surprised that's the best they could do.
Had to be a major factory effort with big money behind it, multiple cars and how many runs?
For two and a half seconds. The ACR that ran 7:22 easily had more in it, driver and support all agreed on that.
With no support or money on a half day schedule.
They could not leave without beating the ACR's time it was as simple as that. They have a Vette to sell.

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that vette had no extra aero on it as well, no big ass wing, no big splitter, no canards, throw those on and see another 6 or more seconds come off the time. just watch the video and see him sliding in the corners, he even went off the track numerous times.

Dodge better step up their game is all i can say

Well GM spent more time at the Ring and used a driver who is extremely familiar with Corvettes. They also used the PTM so electronics assisted with helping improve their lap time (they have electronics where we have aero so it's fair). I'm confident that if SRT returned to the Ring with a '10 ACR and was able to get in more than just a handful of laps they would break the ZR1's record.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seriously, we need to stop this bs of could have, should have, ect, ect... We are sounding just like the Vette owners did when the ACR crushed their time and they ******* about the tires:rolleyes: Chevy kicked ass period! Time for Dodge to step up or shut up period!! In the meantime, Hot Damn that Vette is fasssssst:headbang:

Seriously? Where did I say the Vette didn't deserve it? Did you see me say the 08' ACR could beat the 2011 ZR1? I'm pretty sure I didn't post that. The 2008 ACR was worked over hard at the ring by Dodge with a great driver and I believe the 7:22 was a great accomplishment. The 2010 ACR was improved upon addressing the tranny gearing and personally believe it would beat the 2011 ZR1 time.

Has it done it? Nope.

Do I wish that Dodge would take it over? Yep.

So get over it that's just my opinion.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Takin a non-production car (as in now out of production car 10' ACR) over to the ring is pointless. Auto Industry is what have you done for me lately. Concentrate on the GEN V and nail it. It is okay for Chevy to have a a few years in the sun. We should all be happy as hell here as that means Dodge will have to make the new GEN V that much faster. Ralph has nothing else to concentrate on now, other than pure SRT focus and some design work. :) Have some faith boys! 10' ACR will always have a special place but I seriously doubt it is the fastest Viper that will even be made.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously? Where did I say the Vette didn't deserve it? Did you see me say the 08' ACR could beat the 2011 ZR1? I'm pretty sure I didn't post that. The 2008 ACR was worked over hard at the ring by Dodge with a great driver and I believe the 7:22 was a great accomplishment. The 2010 ACR was improved upon addressing the tranny gearing and personally believe it would beat the 2011 ZR1 time.

Has it done it? Nope.

Do I wish that Dodge would take it over? Yep.

So get over it that's just my opinion.

Hey sorry dude, I didn't mean to direct my opinion towards you particularly. It's towards all of us viper owners who are ******** and complaining about the gearing of the 08 car.... I happen to agree with you and most about the 2010 but still wont bench or key board race. That's what the vette owners did when we trashed their record! Hopefully the gen 5 will put us back on top where we belong:drive:

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

It is time to take the old heads out of the arses so to speak,

If you were at a race track and a car with NO WING and NO splitter kicked your butt, you would not be bragging about how you could come back with a gear change and knock a second or 2 off or how they just barely beat your track record by 1 second, AERo makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE.

For a car to beat the ACR with no aero is incredible, just think what an 08 viper with only the KWV2's would have done on the Ring ????

Maybe a few race guys could chime in and give some opinions here, but the lack of aero on the Vette is significant when comparing it to the ACR.

Dodge should be shooting to beat the Vette with NO AERO on the car and then do it again with the aids.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a die hard Viper guy but its time to wake and smell the Coffee

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey sorry dude, I didn't mean to direct my opinion towards you particularly. It's towards all of us viper owners who are ******** and complaining about the gearing of the 08 car.... I happen to agree with you and most about the 2010 but still wont bench or key board race. That's what the vette owners did when we trashed their record! Hopefully the gen 5 will put us back on top where we belong:drive:

No problem, and I agree with you 100% it's theirs and well earned until beaten.

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Takin a non-production car (as in now out of production car 10' ACR) over to the ring is pointless. Auto Industry is what have you done for me lately. Concentrate on the GEN V and nail it. It is okay for Chevy to have a a few years in the sun. We should all be happy as hell here as that means Dodge will have to make the new GEN V that much faster. Ralph has nothing else to concentrate on now, other than pure SRT focus and some design work. :) Have some faith boys! 10' ACR will always have a special place but I seriously doubt it is the fastest Viper that will even be made.

Just because the '10 ACR is out of production means nothing. This is about being passionate about Vipers and racing and showing the true potential of the ACR at the Ring. Chevy isn't going to get a surge in ZR1 sales just because of this new lap time, they simply wanted to show what they could do. As for waiting for the Gen5... it is Gen4 vs C6 and Gen5 vs C7.

Last edited:

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Hey guys,

If you were at a race track and a car with NO WING and NO splitter kicked your butt, you would not be bragging about how you could come back with a gear change and knock a second or 2 off or how they just barely beat your track record by 1 second, AERo makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE.

For a car to beat the ACR with no aero is incredible, just think what an 08 viper with only the KWV2's would have done on the Ring ????

Maybe a few race guys could chime in and give some opinions here, but the lack of aero on the Vette is significant when comparing it to the ACR.

Dodge should be shooting to beat the Vette with NO AERO on the car and then do it again with the aids.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a die hard Viper guy but its time to wake and smell the Coffee

Steve, the Vette made all it's time against the ACR due to better gearing along with the tires. Plus, don't forget the computer was helping. The Vette made up 2.3 seconds on the last straight alone. Very fast car.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, the Vette made all it's time against the ACR due to better gearing along with the tires. Plus, don't forget the computer was helping. The Vette made up 2.3 seconds on the last straight alone. Very fast car.

Hey Robert, I agree with you but I think that given the Aero on the ACR, Dodge should be setting their sites at a much faster time compared to what the vette is doing. The Vette wouldn't have been as fast on the straight but it would have stuck like glue on the corners and no matter what computer you have nothing helps you around corners like 1000lbs + of downforce. I would hate to see the time that Vette would have done if they took a world challenge wing and splitter and bolted them on the Vette.

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just synchronized the ZR1's lap with the ACR's and watched them both side by side. ZR1 quickly jumps out to about a .5 second lead and sustains this until the first missed gear in the ACR. The missed gear allows the ZR1 to gain 3 seconds on the ACR and keep this lead through the carousel. Between the carousel and the back straight the ACR regains almost the entire 3 seconds but then loses time again on the second missed gear (shortly before the back straight). The ZR1's lead builds to 3 seconds again while accelerating down the straight and the ACR is stuck in 4th gear.

The missed gears in the ACR were very costly. Watch the two videos side-by-side!

Last edited:

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle:lmao: Should have could have, will never get us anywhere. We are talking a margin of 2-4 seconds on a 17 mile track! I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it! Now if that CNN report about the new viper is true, that's worth getting ********** @:mad:

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This late in the game, IMHO, it would be a waste of resources to run a '10 ACR in 2011 when the Gen V is coming out soon enough even if it takes up to 2 years. The Gen IV legacy is as good as it can get without a factory backed racing program. Records were made to be broken. Congrats to the ZR1 which is a worthy successor.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle:lmao: Should have could have, will never get us anywhere. We are talking a margin of 2-4 seconds on a 17 mile track! I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it! Now if that CNN report about the new viper is true, that's worth getting ********** @:mad:

:D that is funny. Some people will refuse to believe what they simply don't want to believe.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats to Chevy, great to see another American car company come out on top. FU Europe. ;)

I wanna see how U fu** Europe? The continent, the +500 million people or ...just PARIS? :rolleyes:

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Good points here; I'll give the opinion that the ACR has aero and the 'Vette uses electronic stability control = a fair fight. As for the reasoning behind using a '10 ACR in an attempt to regain the record... outside of the logical arguments (building brand, re-introducing SRT, data for the Gen V team) there's always the most simple reasoning of all: it's a competition. Informal, unsanctioned, but still very visible. So when somebody takes your record... you take it right back. Never Neutral.

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good points here; I'll give the opinion that the ACR has aero and the 'Vette uses electronic stability control = a fair fight. As for the reasoning behind using a '10 ACR in an attempt to regain the record... outside of the logical arguments (building brand, re-introducing SRT, data for the Gen V team) there's always the most simple reasoning of all: it's a competition. Informal, unsanctioned, but still very visible. So when somebody takes your record... you take it right back. Never Neutral.

I agree...

Last edited:

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I agree, I think personally I just want to see the Gen IV ACR go out on top. When I fell in love with Viper in the mid to late 90's there was never even a question which car would win in any sort of speed or performance competition. This was one of the reasons I always wanted to own one. Viper was always the Benchmark, and I believe it still is.

Hats off to Chevy though, as I feel Viper being around forced them to improve and even though it took a long time the Z06 and ZR1 finally answered the call in many ways.

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^^^^^Absolutely. Nothing should be taken away from Chevy's accomplishment. Honestly, to run that time in a car with no overt aero, with known daily-driver qualities... wow.

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I for one an applauding what GM is doing right now. I imagine anyone who is an American performance car fan is. Lets face it, a win by a Dodge, or SRT, or FIAT is not technically an American car company win. If we take our Dodge colored glasses off for a moment, and wear our red, white and blue colored ones I think we all cheer for the accomplishments of GM. I am an American performance car fan first, and a Dodge fan second (and yes I back it up with my dollars - 3 of my 4 vehicles are Dodge's). From the track to the street they are doing some very exciting stuff. You do know you can go into a Cadillac dealer and buy a 550 HP/ 550 TQ station wagon with a 6 speed manual transmission. Sorry folks but that's just plain cool. Congrats to the Vette team - way to represent to the world that the US knows how to build cars!!!!

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I wanna see how U fu** Europe?

Cutoff US aid?. That would start some whining for sure.:rolaugh:

Hey at least Dodge and Chevy are willing to post a video showing the lap time. I believe we are still waiting for the supposed 7:18xxx lap the $250k GT2 RS pulled. Oh right, I forgot, it never did.:usa:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, I think personally I just want to see the Gen IV ACR go out on top.

The Viper ACR did "go out" on top. In 2010, nothing could beat it. Production is over. What happens after 2010 doesn't matter, and doesn't affect it having been the best for its time. This is a 2011 or 2012 ZR1, and it is the current top performer, nothing more.

I'd rather see any domestic brand on top, instead of a Nissan or import.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang