!!! 215 MPH !!!

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just had a call from one of our members, the UK club is at another runway event today, Joel has just ran 206mph over a 1.5mile standing start in his
DC performance paxton S/C GTS!! :2tu: on pilot sports, having driven his GTS 4 hours to even get there

after dinner they are extenting the runway another 1/4 mile just for Joel

*** is currently at 185mph :headbang:

edited my first post :: Joel finished at :2tu: 215 :2tu:

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 206 mph !!

Is CarlB participating in this event our does he not have his car done yet? He's been to my house a couple of times so I have an interest in what he is up to.

Bob K

OP
OP
N

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
N

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

dynojet last winter at DC Perf was 904bhp at the rear wheels ! nice

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Well, I guess a 1.5 mile track goes by quick when you are doing 170mph. But assuming a longer track, the top end speed of a stock Gen 2 would be what? 195? Can't be 170.

OP
OP
N

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

spoke to Joel, he ended up at 215 MPH with 'a bit of a cross wind' :headbang:

*** went onto 189 :2tu: even with the big rear wing on

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

But assuming a longer track, the top end speed of a stock Gen 2 would be what? 195? Can't be 170.
Getting to 180 is about all you can hope for. The cars are NOT slippery. Now to find a place to try this out! The amount of air a GTS is pushing at 215 must be astronomical.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Joel and crew, Thats fantastic! You guys got a lot of guts to try that! :2tu:

Gerald, A bone stock Gen2 GTS was claimed to reach 186mph, according to some magazines. I reached 170 in mine, and it was still climbing when I had to shut it down for lack of room.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score

A Long time ago,
a stock GTS did 195-196.
It was a T.V. test with several different makes and models.
It had many of the cars "taped" up to reach top speed. The sad ending was the GTS blew a coolant hose and could not continue.......this was a LONG time ago. probably around 96-97'.....

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lots of magazine tests got the GTS at 192-197mph depending on the magazine. The GenI RT was lower at somewhere between 160-170mph. The GenII RT was in the 170-180 range. Wonder what the GenIII RT does?

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I hit 165 easily at the Silver State Classic (6,000 ft elevation) with the wing and splitter and 35MPH winds. I had a lot of gas pedal left and felt like I could have gotten 190 at least (there was a 14 mile straight at one point). Unfortunately my tech speed was 165 so I couldn't go for it.

Bob K

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Remember that the UK Viper GTS (sold as a Chrysler there) was hobbled for Europe, and it's engine only produced 406HP there. :(

The SRT-10 Viper has been magazine tested to 187MPH, but it was limited by the test track, and was still pulling.

The SRT-10 Viper's top speed is supposed to be somewhere in the mid-190s, which is quite impressive for any convertible car! :cool:

The new SRT-10 Coupe should fairly easily top 200MPH.

Congratulations to Joel on the high-speed run! :2tu:

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score

(there was a 14 mile straight at one point). Unfortunately my tech speed was 165 so I couldn't go for it.

Bob K

Actually, you can Bob, just don't plan on comming back for a couple of years. :D

I know of a GPS that showed 186 from a somewhat stock (all motor) GTS.

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's some quick pics from the day. Viper team, and friends support vehicle the red Tiger.

352viperlineup.jpg

Ready to go, with air-flow-prep efforts, but was unable to remove my rear wing. I was trying hard to get towards 200 mph but realistically hoping for maybe 190 mph terminal for mine (just missed it by 0.12 of a mph!)

352specs.jpg

This was a standing start terminal speed event, down a disused military runway. Apparently initially run over 1.1 miles it had been measured to be. Later they opened it up to about 1.5 miles, but some of the surface was quite rough for the additional start. There was also a quarter mile run too, but what we weren't warned about was the big painted landing marks on the runway...First quarter I ran, I'd cooled the motor off over lunch, it was a nice cool day, but...as I was lining up down came rain. I spun in every gear up the quarter, shifting quick into the next, thought I was finally getting some traction in 4th and nudged the gas pedal some more, and discovered suddenly I didn't as we hit a wet painted marking :eek: he came out quick on me, and I struggled to catch and hold him, for a while we flew sideways tires screaming at the edge on the runway, taking a tree out on the way, once I'd got him back we still just finished across the line with a 13 sec quarter and shot tires and front end! I wasn't very happy :mad:

Joel and Skunk won a huge cup and bottle of bubbly, everyone was blown away by the run, and 215 mph :2tu: AWESOME to see and hear, big congratulations.

352bigcup.jpg

352prizes.jpg

I did ask Joel if I could make a run in Skunk, to take a photo of the gauge showing over 200 mph, but he wouldn't give me a drive, so instead I can only post my gauge, but it only goes to 180 mph, and we went off that!

352offclocks.jpg

352offclock.jpg

I was surprised to win a bottle of champers, "for effort"...not sure if it was for best spectacles with taping the front gaps up, or best spectacle of the day, wiping out at over 100 mph but still finishing!

352bestsideways.jpg

352drink.jpg

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two questions. What is the hp difference between Joel's car and yours? How did the Tiger do?

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow...sometime I would like to see what my RT can do. I might be scared as hell though to try it with the top off...but i just want to know.
Way to go Nadine!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like an SRT-10 was there as well - with mods. Any idea on that one's speed or did it run? I know that they will tape the front of the convertible top at the windshield for top speed runs on the SRT. They were purported to hit 201 MPH in testing in Arizona in late 2002. No idea if that is true or not.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two questions. What is the hp difference between Joel's car and yours? How did the Tiger do?

I was wondering the same thing about the Tiger?

That picture of the speedo is fantastic, good job.

OP
OP
N

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
*** is most likely in her garaging modding so:

The SRT was the owners (Ian) first top run event, he managed 171
as was the steel grey GTS with exhaust mods (Richard) who also can 170, both had similar times down the 1/4 (12.6) this was just a airfield so the tarmac isnt brilliant

The Tiger was a friend who turned up to support, his car didnt run

On the dyno last year, Joel had 904 bhp at the wheels, not sure what figures *** is putting out, the word is the loosing the rear wing is worth at least 5mph?

*** took the speedo picture herself :shocked: turning on the camera as she went down the strip, she said 189mph didnt feel much different from 140, guess that the 200mph speedo will be fitted for next year :2tu:

Joel took the trophy, I beleive 2nd spot went to a Ford 2 litre sapphire
cosworth which ran 206mph, WOW

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could someone please tell me what is steering the car at 180 MPH when you take your hands off the wheel to take a picture ???

Bo don't know

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten