25.5 x 12.0 x 17 scrubs on stock wheels?

Reaction score
OK guys, here's what I've got: 6 scrubs (Goodyear) 25.5 x 12.0 x 17's and they mount easily on the rear stock '94 RT/10 wheels I use for racing, but the tire store doesn't want to mount them on the front wheels because of the width difference. When I bought them, I thought I could use them all around. What's the answer?
You must be registered for see images

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mount 'em up. They are a PITA but will mount. I've run them on my 3-spokes for over a year now. Not optimum, but they will function.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John Page ran that setup on his GTS at the '98 Finals. He corded both outside shoulders of the front tires and they were not rubbing the wheelwells. I'm pretty certain that the inflation pressure was correct and I know he had enough camber in the car.

Purner was there with a set of 12.5s that Tittle bought and he swore that they would cure the problem. Tittle let Page use them and he picked up well over a second of lap time and the wear problem was gone. I would have never expected the rim & bead to influence the wear of the tread directly underneath, but it sure did in this case.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks gang! So I'll mount them and try them. I'm going to take my car to Bobby Archer to do the set-up (I guess I should call him!)

By the way Dean, thanks for the help with the Moton adjustments (worked great!)

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done this with the stock three spoke wheels and found the brake balance to be much better - more front/less rear tire than stock 335-275 combo. This was even with the proportioning valve disabled.

dtittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Jeff,

The tires that you have _WILL_ work but they will be stretched a little in the rear and will be pretty wide in the front. This combination will degrade your handling as they'll cause the front end to understeer a little as the slip angle on the tire is taken up, and the rear will be prone to immediate oversteer as there is _NO_ give in the sidewall. They'll work and they're economical, but for the best handling there are better combinations.

Dean was right in his reply. I have a couple of sets of Purner wheels that are 13" in the rear and 12" in the front. They fit 335/35/17 and 315/35/17 Hoosiers respectively and handle much better.

Just .02 more.

Regards, Tittle