3.42 Or 3.73 Gears

AZVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Viper with 3.07 gears. I want to change to 3.42 or 3.73. I think the 3.73 but need options. I'm concerned that 3.73 might be too much with 5800 rpm max.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With a 2004 you should post over on the Gen III board, but this subject has been discussed to death on that board and the performance modifications board so search then ask. I say 3.55 is the way to go.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Viper with 3.07 gears. I want to change to 3.42 or 3.73. I think the 3.73 but need options. I'm concerned that 3.73 might be too much with 5800 rpm max.

Call up JonB at partsrack for his opinion. Opinions differ on the gears. We have kept stock 3.07's but may go to 3.73's at some point...we don't track the car though...so depends on what you want to use it for. LOTS of debates on this one! Good luck....juli

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Viper with 3.07 gears. I'm concerned that 3.73 might be too much with 5800 rpm max.

I know its only your 1st post ever (WELCOME) but:

1) Wrong Forum
2) Wrong Gear
3) The answers yoi get here might not pertain SRT10

Call or e-me and lets talk apout your mods and plans. A GEAR is a terrible thing to waste....and the VIper wastes 6th................ [email protected]

Last edited:

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had 3.73s in my old Gen 1 for about two months then got rid of them ...
First gear was a waste of time.....
Think most people go 3.55s

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I differ with Baz on this. I had 3.73's in my 96 RT and loved them. One of the best mods to do as long as you had the proper tires. I would spin PS all day long, but once I got a set of Kumhos, it made the dam thing a rocketship.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The problem, guys, is that he has an SRT10 and is asking in the wrong forum.

3:73 in a Gen 1 is Waaay different issues than Gen III......

z76232

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just installed 3.55's in my GTS. I don't care what everyone says, it really woke it up. Love them.
Dave P

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Juli said call JonB. I got the 3.55 for my 2006 Coupe from JonB and I really like the gear.

Reaction score
I think the 3.55 is a great "all around" gear that will be good with most other upgrades down the line. I also like the 3.73 if you are a maniac that likes to shift allot (as in you are used to a smaller import type of car from the past). The 3.73 alone will wake the car up allot for day to day driving and even if you do nothing else as far as mods the feel will e a big change. IMHO

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So now to confuse the issue. How about a 98 GTS with SRT10 wheels?? 18 and 19's. I was planning a gear change this winter. Planning to do some SCCA racing here. Short courses in school lots. SOLO. Usually never out of 2nd gear. The only time I ever shifted into 6th it almost killed the engine.:drive: :lmao:

Reaction score
With the speeds of Solo I would definatly go 3.73. Although changing the gears will push you into a class that the car may not be competitive as stock and street prepared classes only allow factory option gear swaps.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 3.55 gear in a SRT (with 19" rear wheels) will effectively be a 3.38 ratio
A 3.73 gear will effectively be a 3.55 ratio

Personally, I think the effective 3.38 ratio would be the best all round way to go. From my xcross experience, the Viper is traction limited to begin with. 3.45s and a SC have not produced a substantial difference in times (traction). In addition, when you modify the car, you're no longer in the SS class and will have a further POX put on you for scoring. (of course you don't need to tell them everything) ....the blower is kind of hard to hide...landing me in the SM2 class.

That being said, I had the 3.45s before the blower and feel it was one of the best things I did to the car. In a SRT that would be effectively be a 3.28 ratio. For a GEN II, 3.45s are a very good choice.

Come to think of it....the gears, the blower, and the Fidanza flywheel are all great things to do.;)

Steve

Reaction score
SM2 class only allows for S/C applications up to 5.0L pushrod engines so you should probably be in a higher class actually. Power is only usable if you can control it that being said you can use a deeper gear if you are smooth with the the throttle.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SM2 class only allows for S/C applications up to 5.0L pushrod engines so you should probably be in a higher class actually. Power is only usable if you can control it that being said you can use a deeper gear if you are smooth with the the throttle.

I won't be telling that piece of info. As I only get to xcross a couple times a year, the twin screw power is a handful on a tight course which is set up for, and mainly comprised of, EVOs and WRXs. One of the Subaru guys who races there is a professional rally driver who does the crazy stuff in the woods at 100+ MPH. He has placed well nationally against factory teams. He runs on the edge......came through the lights backwards last month and still had one of the fastest times that day.

I'm quite happy with my set up. Don't need to win to have a great time! The Viper is the crowd favorite. They love hearing the Belanger music as I start in 2nd gear and smoke the tires as far as I want to off the start line.

Steve

Reaction score
Without a doubt they are always the best to watch and hear. We had a couple here locally for a while but I think the cone damage to the front end has shy ed them away. I always have enjoyed doing the Rendezvous autocross challenges with out customer cars though and if I could afford it would campaign on nationally instead of the Mustang. Power is always a good thing. By the way what is your rally drivers name? That is truly one of the most skilled events there is IMO also. I had an 05' STi that I rally crossed and it was a blast also would really love to be able to thrash through the woods!

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bryan Pepp. He used to run a Talon, but now the Subaru. Here's one race he did well in:
http://www.rally-america.com/event.STPR.2007.php?section=results_overall

There is a national Rally event here every year. The POR (Press on Regardless). We used to follow the stages throughout the night not far from here.

Bryan is completely independent and supports himself. I think he goes by Wreckless Racing. He's a gear head, who has a multi bay repair garage and sells / rents cars a few miles from here. I think he started as a SAAB mechanic many, many years ago. Good guy! He said it's a pretty tough sled competing against the big boys and the big pockets. He told me the maps are so detailed today that they can crest a hill, airborne, in the woods, at 100 MPH, and be able to react to what's on the other side per the map. Sounds kind of NUTs to me!

His navigator is also a very good xcrosser in the turbo Stealth he used to run. He also had the fastest 442 in town back in the mid-late 60s. I think it was one of just a few tri-powers ever made :drive:

Steve

TrackSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi AZ,
My comment is that it depends on how and where you plan to drive.

If just on the street, would recommend the 3.55 - I have that now and IMO it is the right mix for better accel. but still have a useful 1st gear. I had a 3.73 for a while but 1st gear was useless - just broke loose too easily.

If you plan to track the car (road track), which is what I do frequently, recommend leave the 3.07 and concentrate on other mods such as suspension most especially. I plan to re-install the 3.07, as I have found the hard way that I run out of revs in 3rd and 4th gears on many of the tracks here in No. Cal., with not enough time to upshift and then downshift back for the next corner - so I have to hold it at approx 5500 - 5700 rpm for some seconds and definitely lose time - and some of the fun.

Regards

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It just depends what your expectations are. I am running 3:73 and enjoy them. I have two other rear ends and I am going to put a quailfe with 3:55's in one, and the other is stock at 3:07. The rear end is fairly easy to change out. I mostly just drive the streets and I must admit I do like to burn a little rubber now and then. It's part of the pleasure of a Viper.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960