3: 55 GEAR

weed43

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FOR THOES THAt ARE RUNNING THE THE 3:55 GEAR OVER THE 3:07 GEAR, DOES 1ST AND 2 GEAR FEEL STRONGER AND WHAT ARE YOUR SHIFT POINTS IN REGUARD TO THE 3:07. in RPM and how much do you loose in speed in 1 2 and 3 gears.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first ride in a gen 1 with gears was awesome!!! (Thanks Redsled). Second and third my head bounced off the seat! ( as passenger) MY g/f hates it when I get on it. Neck snapping!
Do it!

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So do the gears actually help you go faster? It seems like in the 1/4 mile, it doesn't make a difference.....not sure..if I heard that right or not.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
faster? Fun for sure!!!
Let's say you had the same car 3.07 first run 3.55 next run.

I would assume if everything is equal ( traction, reaction time, HP, ect..a perfect world) the 3.55 would be quicker.

Why should the Viper be any different then any other car?

I would like a non viper owner, real drag racer/engineer to finally put this to rest!
If not 0-60, 1/4, standing mile there must be a benefit to the taller gear.
My a** says so!

RED97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the new 3.55's the engine revs very very fast. I have actually bounced off the fuel cut off since the new gear while spinning the tires. My 1/4 mile trap speed went up. I use 6th gear more often. It is a whole new car to get used to.

fast?

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey red your trap speed went up did your times drop??
anyone here think it's a good or bad idea to run 3.55 with nitrous?

RED97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bone stock, my very best 1/4 was 12.30. Terrible terrible track.
Installed gears, ran a 12.30 on my first pass. I noticed the gear magnified my launching inability. In the traps I picked up 4 mph, tach now near redline in 4th.
I have to say for a bone stock, gears would be a good mod.
If you have more horses than stock, gears would be a waste.

I would say nos and a gear on street tires would be very slippery not to mention how fast the engine would redline.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
3:55 gearset without a doubt is an ear-to-ear grin mod, regardless of the time you get at 1320 feet. The seat-of-pants is very noticable from hookup til about 140 mph.

An experienced dragger can launch a 3.55 quicker. Saturday at PIR, Rob Logsdon ran his 2001 GTS (gears, K+Ns, Smoothe tubes) at 11.96, besting 4 other Vipers at the event. He bogged the launch, at 1200 rpm. Stock tires too.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was there at PIR on Saturday. I can tell you the Rob was FAST! I have the same mods as him, except I'm running 3.07 stock gears and he has 3.55, and I could only get 12.6 (first four passes were all 12.6). This was my first time out on the drag strip.

Here a little more info.....

.........CODY, 2002 GTS.........ROB 2001 GTS

Miles........2,000...............19,000

Gears........3.07..................3.55

CatBack.........yes................yes

Smoothtubes......no................yes

K&N's............yes...............yes

Dbl(sp)..........87.8..............89.8

Tire PSI rear....18.................43

Tire PSI Front...40.................42

Spare tire.......No.................Yes

Ice chest in.......no...............yes
trunk with sodas

I ran against Rob twice. He would gain after every shift, then just as it seems I was keeping up, he would shift and pull away some more.

Rob still sticks to his claim that he doesn't have hi-flow cats, but man I tell you his car sound GOOD! We both had to make single passes, because when we ran together we were over the noise limit (90dbl).

I know that my times **** (becuse of the driver)! I spun the tires at every shift but 4th! I feel a good driver could have ran in the 12.2's with 3.07's with the track conditions.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonB - PartsRack:
3:55 gearset without a doubt is an ear-to-ear grin mod, regardless of the time you get at 1320 feet. The seat-of-pants is very noticable from hookup til about 140 mph.

An experienced dragger can launch a 3.55 quicker. Saturday at PIR, Rob Logsdon ran his 2001 GTS (gears, K+Ns, Smoothe tubes) at 11.96, besting 4 other Vipers at the event. He bogged the launch, at 1200 rpm. Stock tires too.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One more item, I was running with a 1/4 tank of gas. He had a full tank (at least at the start).

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a dana 44 out of a '97 gts with 17xxx miles with a excessive amount of backlash....029, and I am going to freshen it up with a set of dana 3.55 gears and a set of pinion bearings. It is a complete unit with rear cover and front yolk. If anyone is interested let me know I will make you a very good deal. The new unit from Chrysler listed for $3200.00 with 3.07 gears. I will install the above parts and reseal the diff and fill with mopar 75/140 synthetic lube plus 2 additives. I will set rolling torque to spec, and set backlash between .003 and .007... it will be fresh and ready to install. If you are close enough, installation is available.
Thanks,
Joe Donovan
King Dodge
(314)832-7200

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
fun to drive and quick bursts on the street seem quicker. Launching is another story. On the street with warm tires i have launched at 4500 rpm with little slippage, On the track I wasn't getting a good burnout so I think the tires were too cold to grip and i had bad slippage. The 3.54 magnifies this. Only a 12.4 which got worse as the night got colder
With slicks I think the 3.54 will give a good launch, But an extra shift may slow you down. (esp if you have more than stock power)
I may be returning to the 3.07 now that I have a 200 shot