3:55 gears. Any particular brand the best for quiet operation?

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be taking my car to the drivetrain shop soon for the 3:55 gear swap. Who (what brand) makes the quietest ring and pinion. Mopar? Is there any other aftermarket brand that is superior? I realize proper set up and brake in has a lot to do with it. I just want to make sure I'm buying the right brand. Hell, Mopar could be the only brand for all I know.

Thank you.
Alex

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would make the trip to A.R.T to have them do any work you need. Just need to make an appointment so that can work on the car while you are there. Ask for Chris Pharr.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would suspect that Taylor does not have their own brand of gears. They might.

BE CAREFUL! You can buy cheap, 'overseas' gears from 2 countries at under $200/set. Softer, whiney metal. Spicer-Dana, as Mark states above, are your best QUALITY. Cost more, USA-made, strong and quiet, same as MoPar-branded gears........and Taylor may carry several brands.

Dont Know gears? Know Your vendor...........know your installer.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
One thing I didn't notice is the year of your car?? If it is a Gen IV and it has 400 or more miles there could be some difficulties you will encounter. Check with Mark Jorgensen about this ---earlier years really not much of an issue.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have Mopar 4.10 gears in the Viper. They're quiet . When I bought my 96 Mustang it had 3.08 gears that I swapped out to Ford SVT 3.73 . They were only slightly more than Richmond gears but lasted till I sold the car with 160K miles.I'd stay with Mopar if you can get it for a reasonable cost.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry , just noticed the picture of your beautiful GTS --- so no real issues with the gears other than you will need a speedometer calibration kit.

By the way the 5 spokes look absolutely killer on the car!!!

OP
OP
S

Somewhere in Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry , just noticed the picture of your beautiful GTS --- so no real issues with the gears other than you will need a speedometer calibration kit.

By the way the 5 spokes look absolutely killer on the car!!!

Thanks man, I appreciate that. I was torn between the 5 spokes and CCWs. I picked the 5 spoke because they are clear coated and I HATE polishing wheels.

Thanks for the calibration heads up.

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a used set of 3.55 Unitrax gears I'll sell. I had them in my car for 3 yrs but just got a set of Unitrax 3.33's that I'm changing to. Thy were always quit as a church mouse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rot8te