3.55's... 3.54's... Which is it???

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was talking to Taylor Race Engineering about doing a gear swap to compensate for my soon to be bigger rear tires, plus a little ooomph beyond that, and they were saying they have 3.54's for the Viper Gen2 rear end. I questioned that number and he said they were the Dana heavy duty R&P set. I could not convince him to say 3.55 instead.

So why do all the vendors here seem to sell 3.55's? What is the scoop here on 3.54 vs. 3.55?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe my Mopar set said 3.55 on the package.

Also don`t forget, it is all in the math. As the ratio is not 3.55 or 3.54 even (it is actually something like 3.542587) it all depends on if they round up or down. At least that was what I was told in the past while looking for a gear set for my truck......:rolleyes:

Robert

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard both
I think Moparboy is right, they all have the same # of gear teeth, just depends on if the seller rounds the actual ratio up or down

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the Viper being a Dana 44, I kinda have to ask what the Dana 60 has to do with my question. Is there both a 3.55 AND a 3.54 for the Dana 44 in Viper mode?

3.54 at Dana is 46/13 and 3.55 is 39/11. It's not the same teeth / gear set or has anything to do with rounding the numbers up or down.

Hope it helps..
Enjoy your holidays!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
History class is great. And I'm making progress toward asking the perfectly worded question here.

Drum roll please...

MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

DAVE QUAD SIX-O WILL NOW SPEAK!

For the Dana 44 rear end that fits a 2001 Dodge Viper GTS, as a non-factory gear ratio are both the 3.54 46/13 and the 3.55 39/11 available for installation at the service stress level of the Viper in that Dana 44 rear end for the Viper, therefore making 2 apparently closely comparable gear sets available for the Dodge Viper rear end?

Is one heavier duty than the other?

I KNOW... That was TWO questions.

:D

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the Viper being a Dana 44, I kinda have to ask what the Dana 60 has to do with my question. Is there both a 3.55 AND a 3.54 for the Dana 44 in Viper mode?

3.54 at Dana is 46/13 and 3.55 is 39/11. It's not the same teeth / gear set or has anything to do with rounding the numbers up or down.

So, it appears to me that both gear sets are available for a Dana 44. I see them listed in the websites below.

The question that remains is, are they interchangeable in the Viper differential?

When I search, I see the 3.55 referred to as a heavy duty application, and specifically referenced for the Viper and Vette application. I'd be surprised if all of the mounting dimensions weren't the same for all Dana 44 gear sets. My guess would be that the lower number of teeth in the 3.55 set allows for beefier, stronger, more manly teeth, hence it being the desirable choice for a torquey Viper. The lower number of teeth probably results in increased noise.

Precision Gear - Dana 44 Ring and Pinion Gear Sets
Precision Gear - Dana 44 V Ring and Pinion Gear Sets

edit: just read Dave's post above made while I was composing mine. Sorry for any redundancy.

Last edited:

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow Dave! 750,000,042 is a big jump in posts from 6666 a few days ago!
sorry about the highjack

I think I understand now what you were saying Black,
I didn't realize the Danas could be interchangeable.
I know my set says 3.55 on the box. It came from Spicer.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he was just trying to say that the gears in the older Danas were interchangeable so the current ones may be also :dunno:
But I think your question is valid Dave. I would go to a respectable Viper vendor and ask them which one they carry.

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would go to a respectable Viper vendor and ask them which one they carry.

Which is how all of this started...

I call Taylor Race Engineering. They have a banner at the top of this web site. They say 3.54.

Everyone else sells 3.55.

With all of these posts, my simple question remains unanswered.

One more time...

For the Viper rear end are there both 3.54 AND 3.55 ratios available???

Inclusive with the word Viper is the assumption it can handle the service.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Redundancy?!? I was asking my question again for the bazillionth time.

Looks like you're slinging answers around! :2tu:

Sorry for the confusion, my edit entry was apologizing for my post being redundant information after seeing yours. Your post at 9:46 was posted after I read last night's thread and while I was composing my entry. I didn't get to read your post until I submitted mine.

I thought that I was answering your question about what is the heavier duty gear from a mechanical engineering standpoint plus what was marketed by vendors.

I definitely do not have better credentials than someone at Taylor Race Engineering.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still have know idea what his point was.

You guys are ok, Dave the point was to simply clear up the first reply to your post from Robert, an assumption that both gear sets were the same and were rounded numbers, it was a common past misunderstanding.

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion, my edit entry was apologizing for my post being redundant information after seeing yours. Your post at 9:46 was posted after I read last night's thread and while I was composing my entry. I didn't get to read your post until I submitted mine.

I thought that I was answering your question about what is the heavier duty gear from a mechanical engineering standpoint plus what was marketed by vendors.

I definitely do not have better credentials than someone at Taylor Race Engineering.

I was actually trying to compliment you for your efforts! :2tu:

Sorry if it was not taken that way.

Wow... Where we at here. Hmm.

Soooooooo, does anyone know if you can get both a 3.54 and a.....

_ _ _ _ it. :rolleyes:

VipeRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was actually trying to compliment you for your efforts! :2tu:

Sorry if it was not taken that way.

Wow... Where we at here. Hmm.

Soooooooo, does anyone know if you can get both a 3.54 and a.....

_ _ _ _ it. :rolleyes:
ONE MORE TIME!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For a while in the late 90's 3:54 gearsets were all that were available. When they ran out they substituted 3:55's. It was thought, and maybe correctly so, that the 3:54's were the stronger set, but now mostly only 3:55's are available.

Monzsta

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper "Super44" diff is unique to Vipers and certain Corvettes in that the pinion shank, bearings, and pinion spline is actually the size of a Dana 60. The pinion gear and ring gear are standard D44 dimensions. A hybrid, if you will. Regular old Dana 44 gears can be installed, however a sleeve must be welded to the pinion shank of the smaller D44 to make it the appropriate size for the Viper's inner pinion bearing. A new outer bearing, seal and smaller spline yoke must all be sourced as well, resulting in more money for a much weaker rear end.

Beginning in '95-'96 Vipers began to receive larger 7/16" ring gear bolts instead of the smaller 3/8", all else being the same. A few companies have bolt kits with spacers for installing small bolt gear sets onto a large bolt case. If you install a large bolt gear set onto a small bolt case the case holes must be enlarged to accomodate the larger bolt. All gear sets will interchange from '92 to '08.

However, differentials between '92-'02 and '03-06 will not swap. The SRT diff is much wider, and will not fit in the Gen I/II housing. The '08-'09 GKN differential will swap into a '03-'06 SRT housing, but you must buy the axle stubs for the '08-'09, as there is a difference there.

I hope this brings everyone up to speed.

Oh, Re: the 3.54 vs 3.55, they are the same gear. It's a matter of rounding, as mentioned before.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Monz :2tu: I think I'm going to call Taylor Race on Monday and see if they'll give me a part number of the Dana 3.54 set they were quoting me. And then see what that part number says about that part number.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just talked to a friend yesterday about this...

when i first got my car i met up with a guy that had an RT10, same color and stock like mine was at the time. he had 333's though. from a 60mph roll he jumped and i could not reel him in. he let me drive it and the 333 gears are absolutely perfect in my opinion. the only set id ever consider on a viper. its only a small jump up but it just felt perfect.

unitrax sells them