3" corsa -- Any gain on gen1?

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3\" corsa -- Any gain on gen1?

The claims of the 18hp are on gen2 cars.. what if any gain should one expect on a gen1 motor (96)?

MadMaxx

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: 3\" corsa -- Any gain on gen1?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MadMaxx:
The claims of the 18hp are on gen2 cars.. what if any gain should one expect on a gen1 motor (96)? MadMaxx <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only Gen1 USA it will fit is 1996 RT.

Since Gen 1 motors respond so well to flow / exhaust mods, I SUSPECT that you would easily gain 20+ HP total if you had smoothe tubes and K+Ns. Add HiFlow cats, and gain 5 more

And the HF cats will protect your white paint

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jon, I got a 96
wink.gif

And... ahem... no emmisions... goodbye cats! Yeah Yeah... it's bad for the earth.... so are SUVs
laugh.gif

MadMaxx

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Madmaxx,
I just received my 3" Corsa today, ordered from JonB.
I will be installing it tomorrow (Friday), and plan next week to go to the dyno to compare with JUST this addition. I also have tubes and filters and I pulled 401 RWHP and 459 RWTQ, on March 30, 2002 (2 months ago). This should give a reasonable indication of the gain (or loss - NOT)for a gen1.
By the way, could you look into your side sills from the rear, with a flashlight, and see if you have any side resonator mufflers on your '96 RT/10. I had straight pipes, and no side resonator mufflers. Some people say this is normal (others with no side resonators), and some people are perplexed.
Thanks,
Later,

Henry Cone

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don, 96 RT's had a unique exhaust system - no resonators in the side sills as you have noticed. This exhaust set up was only used for this one year...

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Henry,
It was a little shocking to not find side resonators, as that seemed not to be normal. As you said, unique, and it seems all I have asked are the same.
Later,

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Vehicle exhaust emission limits are based on grams emitted out of the tailpipe per mile, regardless of fuel consumption. SUVs may indeed consume more fuel, but they meet the same criteria for the "bad stuff" that comes out as your Geo Metro, etc.

Catalyst equipped vehicles emit 90%-99% less harmful emissions than unregulated engines. The only downside to SUVs is CO2, which is not directly harmful, but often associated with global warming. And as far as fuel consumption, SUVs and Vipers are already in the same ballpark.

Sorry, but I'd like to see the cats back on.

emissions background

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Don,
went to the dealership today and got a look into the side sills and yes, I do not have any resonators.
supergrin.gif

Mike

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nah, i'll leave them off. SUVs may be cleaner, but when they burn 3x more gas in the same amount of time, it does just as bad as I do (in my head that is).

If your willing to buy me a set of high flow cats, then i'll consider it
smile.gif

MadMaxx

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

AS PROMICED;
Here are the Dyno Numbers obtained about 3 hours ago. The ONLY addition to the car, from the previous runs, was the addition of Corsa 3" CAT BACK. I can post the Dyno sheets, but probably not necessary. The car has Smooth Tubes, and Sean Roe Air Filters, and were on the car for both runs. Again, ONLY the Corsa 3" Cat Back System was added for the run, (#2) today (No Headers, or High Flow Cats).

RUN #1 03/30/2002
RWHP 401.1
RWTQ 459.1

RUN #2 06/05/2002
RWHP 405.0
RWTQ 468.1

Was I disappointed in only a small gain?, perhaps a little, but the torque stepped up, and the sound is superb. My wife said the exhaust was quieter inside (road noise the same, no windows in), but out the back, just as nasty only a deeper pitch sound.

Later,

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Corsa 18 HP claim is BS. On my 2001 Creampuff, stock except for smooth tubes & S&B Filters:

Before (9800 miles): 406 HP, 448 torque
After (14000 miles, add Corsa 3-inch, RT hi-flow cats): 414 HP, 452 torque

However, I am 100% pleased with Corsa exhaust: good sound at idle, no drone at cruising speeds, great sound when you get on the throttle, great tips, fit perfectly. As far as additional HP, I didn't expect any, didn't really gain any. The dyno test after the exhaust installation was strictly for research purposes.

Overall, I would heartily recommend the Corsa to anyone.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ron,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Ron Hickey said:
However, I am 100% pleased with Corsa exhaust: good sound at idle, no drone at cruising speeds, great sound when you get on the throttle, great tips, fit perfectly. As far as additional HP, I didn't expect any, didn't really gain any. The dyno test after the exhaust installation was strictly for research purposes.
Overall, I would heartily recommend the Corsa to anyone.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree completely, and Ron mentioned the perfect fit, I must mention the ease of installation; On jack stands (the car, that is), on my back (me).
Later,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960