304 New gen 5 Vipers on Autotrader for sale

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just looked on Autotrader for 2013 Viper.... a total of 304 for sale. A few weeks ago it was 240something Vipers for sale...... the inventory is growing.....

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"new" cars that are already old since 2014 production will be starting up soon. Glad I canceled my order and did well on an already built one.

On the plus side to have one of only about 700 snakes built in 2013 is pretty cool. To put that in perspective, Lamborghini builds 3,000 Gallardo's annually.

HobokenViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visited my local Dodge dealer in NJ last weekend in East Hanover, NJ and they said they sold their full allocation of three 2013 Vipers already and were now taking orders for 2014 models. I believe all 3 that they sold were pre-orders.

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't recall the Gen IV having such poor sales
when it was released.

OP
OP
K

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
seems like a lot of cars sitting around until you realize that it only means that there is one car in every large city in the USA.... assuming 48 continental states each with at least 6 large cities/metropolis .......... or 6 wealthy rural/country boys in each state waiting to take delivery....

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is totally normal guys. Most dealerships put their ordered cars up on the web as soon as possible. They would like to have as many as possible pre-sold before they come in. Most on line buyers are looking for a specific car, and they want to know what they have to choose from.

It is not unusual for a buyer to call on an ad and be told that specific car is on the way. This gives you time to negotiate a price, and arrange delivery.

Completely different situation that driving down to the lot and seeing 20 vipers sitting on the line.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish some of you would quit posting this Autotrader nonsense. There is likely 100 actual cars on that site available, it is just that dealers do pre-load their ordered inventory cars that haven't even been built yet. They also have zero obligation to remove ads for cars that have been sold. Many of them just leave up old ads, hoping you'll call them about a car. That 300+ number of cars is just BS. Ebay is a better indicator, since those ads cost actual money per ad, and expire.

davidn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony is right on.....The most I've seen on ebay is like 25 cars AND I LOOK everyday.. mostly LE cars....My car was on Autotrader FOR A WEEK after it was sitting in my Garage...:D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, IMO dealer have almost ruined autotrader. It's still a good source, but more a pain than it used to be. So many bogus ads and pre-listing and sold vehicles listed from dealers to sift thru.

I find it interesting to see a handful of used ones out there, that's a quick turnover, which happens with all kinds of cars, but 200-300 mis, or 1000 mis and 2 mos ownership, like did you show up at home & your wife beat you with a frying pan or something?! lol

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is one used one from Criswell that looks like they did test drives in or perhaps the dealer owner played with for awhile that has 1k miles on it. All the other used seem to have low mileage which - probably a mad wife LOL

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
those who are lucking enough to have the $$ to buy one already know it is an awesome car...so that means there are 315 people out there who don't know what they are missing!!! Not one dealer in my area in NJ or NY has one in their showroom. can't be that bad.

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a short drive to CT and the Norwalk dealer has 2. The first of the three went for a pretty good discount. If anyone needs a contact there PM me.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The real judgement needs to be made by January. Then we'll really know if the 2013's are selling well. From the looks of it though, no bueno...

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO what we have here is a bunch of dealers trying to get maximum profit by "advertising" nation wide. The cars are listed on autotrader and shown in the show room and for all I know, listed on ebay with a minimum above the MSRP or even craiglist.

It appears to me that these dealers don't know how to market the Viper nor do they know how to build up a following. I remember how a dealer in Tennessee said he'd rather have an orange charge with an 8 painted on the side that a Viper caravan visit his dealership. Probably right for his market and probably shouldn't have a Viper to sell. While the Viper is the flag ship to some markets, it is not so to all markets.

I'm sorry to say, not all dealers should have the Viper top sell. Perhaps visions of massive profits tempted some dealers into an area that is not of their expertise.

Until the "shake out" occurs, there's going to be some strange things happeniong. I hope not to the detrement of the VIper or the SRT dealers.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is one used one from Criswell that looks like they did test drives in or perhaps the dealer owner played with for awhile that has 1k miles on it. All the other used seem to have low mileage which - probably a mad wife LOL

The one from criswell belonged to a 75 year old man who said it is too much car for him. And no they do not offer test drives on a used viper I already asked

jsd512

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel bad for Chrysler, specifically Gilles, because the Viper is not fairing well. To me it's sad to see. I fell in love back in 92. This car is not a success like it could have been, had they not been on a budget. Maybe MY2015+, they can make the car worth what they are asking. I have seen quite a few people get many 1000s off the MSRP, not good. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, do they give deep discounts to bribe people into buying their car?

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel bad for Chrysler, specifically Gilles, because the Viper is not fairing well. To me it's sad to see. I fell in love back in 92. This car is not a success like it could have been, had they not been on a budget. Maybe MY2015+, they can make the car worth what they are asking. I have seen quite a few people get many 1000s off the MSRP, not good. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, do they give deep discounts to bribe people into buying their car?

Yea they give 15-20k to take off some of the over paying you do for the name. If they improve the viper they won't keep the price the same they will increase it and continue the madness.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Have you actually driven one to say the car is or isn't worth what it is asking? Seemingly plenty of opinions around here based on conjecture. I think my SRT was a great "deal" at $108k for what it is.

You can get nice discounts on virtually any Porsche. After the first model year, you can get near invoice on almost anything.

Time will tell if the car is or isn't doing well. If they aren't near 400 registered at the end of July (Which means June sales) - perhaps you will be right. They have registered (dealer sold to customers) ~250 as of May 31.

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know how cars they need to sell per year to be profitable?

I was told that the car needs to be profitable. They didn't plan for it to be a corporate image car.

People can complain all they want, but it's the best Viper yet, and it already has some new track records to prove that it's the fastest.

How amazing will the ACR be?

~Jay

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was told that the car needs to be profitable. They didn't plan for it to be a corporate image car.

People can complain all they want, but it's the best Viper yet, and it already has some new track records to prove that it's the fastest.

~Jay

Track results aren't everything but the new ACR will probably whoop everything short of a Zonda R

OP
OP
K

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
those who are lucking enough to have the $$ to buy one already know it is an awesome car...so that means there are 315 people out there who don't know what they are missing!!! Not one dealer in my area in NJ or NY has one in their showroom. can't be that bad.

Incorrect .. see ebay listing # 281129643916 in Asbury park NJ , ebay listing #290943563643 in Babylon Long Island- I sat in this car personally. TWO in MANHATTAN that remain unsold since delivery that I sat inside over 6 weeks ago ebay listing #261242972094, This one also at the same Babylon Long Island dealer ebay # 300931423461

jsd512

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you actually driven one to say the car is or isn't worth what it is asking? Seemingly plenty of opinions around here based on conjecture. I think my SRT was a great "deal" at $108k for what it is.

You can get nice discounts on virtually any Porsche. After the first model year, you can get near invoice on almost anything.

Time will tell if the car is or isn't doing well. If they aren't near 400 registered at the end of July (Which means June sales) - perhaps you will be right. They have registered (dealer sold to customers) ~250 as of May 31.

Would love to own a new one, can't afford it. I do think the car is worth what you paid for, IMHO anyway. The Viper is worth 100-115K, not 143K listed in the rags or dealer stickers. So you can get discounts on Ferraris etc., good to know the Viper is not alone in that sense. I hope the Viper does catch on and that I am proven wrong. It just seems that the Viper is a mixed bag when it comes to reviews and perceptions. I am most certainly rooting for the success of the Viper.

OP
OP
K

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes you are correct. Registered cars is the TRUE indicator of sales. This Autotrader and ebay Crap is just conjecture because dealers may try to hold out to get the best price.

How do you find out or know 250 were registered as of May 31 ??

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Autotrader skews the numbers and double counts because they have premium, featured, standard and newly listed listings where a single car can appear in multiple categories plus it looks like some dealers are advertising cars at every possible sticker price with stock photos. Watch how if you have a sort by price the sort resets several times scrolling through plus some are incoming cars.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

~Jay

From a number of Ralph's comments, it sounds like around 1500 a year is the breakeven point for a profit with around 2500 a year a maximum without really ramping up the production capability. :cool:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala