3M Bra

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys

How much did you spend to have your front fascia done with the 3M clear bra. Can you apply Zaino overtop of it etc. Also for those that have it installed does it come precut for vipers etc.

Jerry Colpitts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think my kit was $800 and yes it is made for the viper. You can apply zaino not a problem. You just treat it like it was not there. The 3m stuff is the best, it will never yellow like the other companys products.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happens when a rock nicks the bra? ...Or many little dings over time. How do you fix it? I would guess these things would be very obvious. How long is the warranty?

It would seem to me to be much more cost efficient to just paint the front end every few years. I'll be doing mine next month after 7 years and 66,000 miles. Fascia and side sills will run about $600 dollars. For track use, I think a regular bra may be the way to go.

Steve

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had my new vert done a few weeks ago but the guy that installed mine does not use 3m any more he said he was having some problems with it so he used ULTRA-COTE by VENTURESHIELD. Said it is a lot better product. You can't hardly tell it is even on the car you have to really look for it. I had what they call a "Race Wrap" that includes the front end, about a foot up the hood, behind the wheels, side sills all the way around and under the rear end, the mirrors and the door handles. He also recommended a certain cleaner for it but I can't remember the name of it even though I was just using it tonight.
The man's name is Tim Kirlin and his no is 630-669-7033 you might give him a call and see what he has to say. He is in the Chicago area but he came down to my town which is about 150 miles from Chicago and installed it in my garage. It cost me $1200.00.:2tu:

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happens when a rock nicks the bra? ...Or many little dings over time. How do you fix it? I would guess these things would be very obvious. How long is the warranty?

It would seem to me to be much more cost efficient to just paint the front end every few years. I'll be doing mine next month after 7 years and 66,000 miles. Fascia and side sills will run about $600 dollars. For track use, I think a regular bra may be the way to go.

Steve

I would say that you would have that section where the damage is replaced. Better than having to have the car repainted.:D The warranty is 5 years I believe he said.:drive:

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Geeze. $1200 for a clear bra? You could have the bumper repainted twice for that much.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been using Zaino on my clear bra for 3 or 4 years now with great luck. :2tu:

The labor is usually about the same price as the kit from some installers. It all depends on the complexity of the pattern.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geeze. $1200 for a clear bra? You could have the bumper repainted twice for that much.
Man, sure glad I can use a paint gun!! Repainted my RT front last month just before the sale. Sure saves with the DIY. Think I had 5 hrs and $80.00 in paint. It's a read the books and try it. If you have the time. But some rather pay us to do it. I guess.

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With regards to the Plexus product, what if it gets on your paint? Is it bad for your paint i mean?

Thanks for the Meguire tip I just ordered some. The guy that installed my clear bra had already recommended the Plexus and he gave me a can when he did the install.
Rob:2tu:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With regards to the Plexus product, what if it gets on your paint? Is it bad for your paint i mean?
I would just use Zaino on it. I have been using Zaino on my Lightning's bra for about 4 years and it shows no sign of yellowing at all.

We also just got a new 335i and I had the dealer install a clear bra on it before I took delivery. They gave me a can of plexus with the car when I picked it up and I tried it out on the new Beemer and found that it did not last very long at all. I went back to using the Zaino on it. For any scratches or scuffs I just use the same polish I use on my paint (Zaino ZPC or Menzerna) and it works great. No need for a special plastic polish.

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About a month ago I called Meguiars about using plastx on the 3m that was installed on my Viper. They told me not to use it on the 3m.

I may look into the plexus.

Flying Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hiss, Who do we belive. I spoke with a rep. from plastx who told me it was ok to use it not only on the 3M bra but also the paint.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hiss, Who do we belive. I spoke with a rep. from plastx who told me it was ok to use it not only on the 3M bra but also the paint.

Meguiar's customer care will error on the side of being conservative. Plastx was not made for clear bras. It is for clear plastic windows and to polish out headlights. It works great on buffing out marks on clear bras. Try a test spot. I have had no issues.

Use a foam pad, it is mild and may take a few applications.

Got some cone marks off mine, when the father in law killed a few at VOI. ;)

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The Plexus works very well on the plastic and won't hurt the paint. It doesn't last very long and won't polish at all. Think of it as a "quick detailer" for your clear bra.

Dan

jaydoc1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As far as Plexus goes, I have used it for years on my motorycycles, both the plastics and the paint. It was the first "quick detailer" I ever used. Now I'm not recommending you use it on your paint, but it certainly won't harm it either.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on what you are working with. The Kit for the Viper from a local clearbra dealer was $500 for the front fascia but a custom kit which fits better and is actually not precut so they cut it to fit your car was $1000 for the front fascia.

As for the waxing, put it right over it. You should do this once in a while to up keep the clearbra. Doing this should have the bra last for SEVERAL years.

GTSNRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys, My partner and I just invested in Ventureshield, I sent a tech to be trained with them at their factory in Boston, he received his certification so we can offer the warranty through them as well. MANY people there were switching from 3M and others to use this product! The appearance and fittment is impeccable!! We will be offering kits for the Viper for sale shortly. As for all the comments about painting being cheaper? Think of this........... I own a Auto Collision/restoration shop and can tell you with CERTAINTY having your car refinished (even perfectly) still has PAINT WORK!!!!!! most people do NOT like purchasing a car with paint work for any reason! I invested in this product because I for one am EXTREMELY PICKY about flaws in my autos, and am VERY tired of refinishing the front of my vehicles due to pesky rock chips:mad: To refinish the frt. bumper, and hood on the Viper is a minimum of $1,200 plus replacing the Viper emblems on the side of the hood AND THEN THE CAR HAS PAINTWORK!!!!!!!! why would you want to do this:confused: especially more than once:omg: Look at the clear bra as a cheap insurance policy that you only pay ONCE for;)

BTW the first of my cars I'm doing is the one in (DodgeViper01's sig):D

feel free to pm me with any Q's anyone
Best Regards,
Matt
You must be registered for see images attach

Rolstar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be having my 3rd vehicle done this week. I am going with the front facia, larger hood coverage, mirrors, lights and fogs, rocker panels and behind the rear wheels. $1250 Installed.

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rob, where in Chicago was your guy? I am going to clear bra the 08 and wouldn't mind using him if you're truly happy. How's the orange peel on the stuff he used?

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rob, where in Chicago was your guy? I am going to clear bra the 08 and wouldn't mind using him if you're truly happy. How's the orange peel on the stuff he used?

Alex
The guys name is Tim Kirlin he call his business "The Plastic Surgeon" and his phone number is 630-669-7033. I can't remember which city he lives in but I know it was a Chicago burb.:2tu:
Do you have your car yet or is it still at Roanoke?
Rob

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been installing ClearMask for about 3 years now. I use Zaino on my kits and they look great. Use soap and water to wash the vehicle with and then dry like normal. I usually put a coat or two of Zaino every 2-3 weeks. I have never had the need to go out and buy any special cleaner for the material and all of my cars look great.

AS far as scuff marks on the doors sills, I have found that rubbing alcohol works really well. Do not rub it in, just soak a little on a rag and dab it. The alcohol will actually lift the black marks out of the film after a few minutes. Then go back with your detailer and wipe off. Just make sure that you never rub the material with a dry rag. You will scuff the clear finish up on it and it will look dull.

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm picking up a Graphite RT/10 next Friday. The previous owner installed 3m clear bra on the car. I had intended to add silver vinyl stripes, do I need to remove the 3m bra to do this or can I put the vinyl stripe on top of the 3m?

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm picking up a Graphite RT/10 next Friday. The previous owner installed 3m clear bra on the car. I had intended to add silver vinyl stripes, do I need to remove the 3m bra to do this or can I put the vinyl stripe on top of the 3m?
HemiHead...I'll be gentle and simply answer you with "yes....remove the clear bra before you add stripes."

Nonetheless, if you consider your question, you should realize just how obvious is the answer. I'm guesing you're not considering colorform stripes, becuase they WILL work on the 3M product. :D

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
CitySnake, you're right, I asked the Readers Digest version of the question instead of the full question and it did sound like a dumb *** was asking so please allow me to try again.

I am buying a great Viper that is modded very much as I would like it, however I busted my budget buying this car. It's Graphite and I'd like to add silver stripes to it however it has a 3M Bra from the previous owner. I consider the 3M bra a good mod as I would like to try Viper Days track session and the bra is a good protective measure.

Looking at the 3M site I see that the material cannot be reapplied once removed. I have not reasearched what brand of vinyl stripes I would like, but by CitySnakes coments I assume Colorform is the brand of choice.

At this point, in order to add stripes what are my options? I understand the best option is to remove the 3M, install the stripes and re instasll the 3M. As I said earlier I busted the budget so do I wait till I recover before doing anything? Can (Colorform?) stripes be installed removed and re applied (easy City)? Whats more cosr effective, removing and re installing a 3M bra on the fasia or removing and reinstalling stripes on the hood only? :dunno:

Thanks

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm breaking my brain trying to understand your last two sentences. I understand the part about removing clear bra on the fascia, putting vinyl stripes on and then re doing clear bra on fascia. But what do you mean about "removing and reinstalling stripes on the hood" only? You don't have stripes now so how can you reinstall?
Oh wait, you mean just remove the clear bra from the hood only and stripe the hood only? If you're on a budget that might be a good choice. It's going to be a custom look anyway as the RT10 did not come striped from the factory except in 96 and the special blue whhite in 97. I would stripe it like the 96's which IS just on the hood and just leave the fascia alone. And I might not bother to put the clear bra back on the hood either depending on cost. Only gonna give you another foot or so. Save you a lot of money on the striping too as the really hard part is putting the stripes on the fascia with all the bends.
If you did it like 96 RT10 it would look like this.

ninety_six_1.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21