40k miles...

nate1121

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

Been in the market for a couple months now on the east coast and have come close on a couple but have either not been quick enough or just couldn't work out a deal. My criteria is a gen3, preferably red (then black, silver last) with less than 30k. Price point I have been shooting for is right around $40-42,000 all said and done. Most of the potential cars I have found are in the $43-45,000 ballpark. For some of the extremely low miles examples, this seems fair... but for a 2003, red, 25-30k car I feel like it's a bit high. Anyway, found one with 40k on it listed for 39. It is more miles than I would like but I think if I can get the price right, I would be happy with it. What are some thoughts on a price point that would be reasonable? Also, if anybody knows of anything for sale that may not be listed in the usual places and that fits my criteria, i'd def love to have the info.

Thanks in advance for your input guys.

gtsfe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why the hang-up on 10K miles? 30K or 40K... doesn't seem much different to me. If its in good shape, has been cared for and the price is right then go for it!!!

1bad540

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not pat the extra 2-3k for a car with half the miles.?

OP
OP
N

nate1121

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both valid points... Any ideas on a fair offer for a 40k car? if the dealer is firm than I would def hold off and either opt to spend a little more of a lower miles car or wait until another 30-40k car came along with more wiggle room on the price.

brNOR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be selling my red '03 in June as I'm moving abroad and can't bring the car. New Michelin Supersports in October, 20k miles and super clean. I'm thinking 40k or so. I'm on the wrong coast though! Message me if you're interested.

98intrigue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my '06 coupe with 39,895 miles for $39,995. I jumped on the deal, but have only been able to drive the car for a toal of 3 months in the last year due to 2 blown engines. Although I've just been very unfortunate with my luck on this car, I'd go for a lower mileage Viper for a bit more money if I could do it again. With all the money I've put in my '06 (granted I've done quite a few modifications), I'm in very low mileage '08+ territory.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You could have a car with 10k beat to chit or a car with 40K running like new. All depends on previous owners taking care of it. Had my 72 Challenger with a 340 for 8 years, putting 90k miles on it without a blip on the engine before it sold.

98intrigue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could have a car with 10k beat to chit or a car with 40K running like new. All depends on previous owners taking care of it. Had my 72 Challenger with a 340 for 8 years, putting 90k miles on it without a blip on the engine before it sold.
Precisely. It was my 1st Viper purchase and I don't intend on it being the last. I've definitely learned a thing of two from this site about purchasing a Viper since I bought mine and will go about it an entirely different way. I just knew I had to jump on the deal I found immediately since the first buyer's financing fell through and there was already a third buyer lined up.

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
prices appear stable.

Barrett-Jackson recently sold a silver 2004 45k mile SRT10 for $50k plus commission.

My 2005 has 40000 miles and could use paint but i would want 40k for her.

1bad540

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Knowing what we know with paint wear and everything else your saving 2-3 grand to drop wayyyyyy more to get the car right. Don't be penny wise and dollar stupid

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez I sold my 03 with 20k miles, a Paxton supercharger, gears, autoform roll bar, and a host of other mods for $41k, seems like I sold too low!

OP
OP
N

nate1121

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly tbe auctions have a mind of their own... i think the market on 40k plus car is high thirties being fair... ill see what the dealer is willing to do. I purchased an extremely low mikes Z06 a couple years ago and dropped a valve within 6 months with no track time. Needless to say i can appreciate a well cared for car with a few more miles vs. A cherry that has been beat on. Thanks for all the feedback guys! This is certainly a tight knit community and it makes me even more excited to join it.

OP
OP
N

nate1121

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Knowing what we know with paint wear and everything else your saving 2-3 grand to drop wayyyyyy more to get the car right. Don't be penny wise and dollar stupid

So you're saying I should be worried about the paint on a 40k car? Not doubting it just curious. I haven't really heard anything about paint issues with the gen3 cars. Educate me.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Geez I sold my 03 with 20k miles, a Paxton supercharger, gears, autoform roll bar, and a host of other mods for $41k, seems like I sold too low!
Ya that was giving it away if it was in good shape

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 2003 is just about to turn 30,000 miles. It has a build date of May 2003. I'll have it 3 years next month, and I've put 7000 miles on it since then, and has been garaged since I've owned it. However, paint had issues when I bought it, and it is really starting to show. It is black, and honestly, if I were going to sell her, I might spend a few thousand on a good paint re-do, as I might get it back in re-sale. I'm the third owner, and don't know how the paint was cared for before I bought.

Raven2k8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll be selling my red '03 in June as I'm moving abroad and can't bring the car. New Michelin Supersports in October, 20k miles and super clean. I'm thinking 40k or so. I'm on the wrong coast though! Message me if you're interested.

I've seen this car many times and it is in very good condition!

OP
OP
N

nate1121

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2003 is just about to turn 30,000 miles. It has a build date of May 2003. I'll have it 3 years next month, and I've put 7000 miles on it since then, and has been garaged since I've owned it. However, paint had issues when I bought it, and it is really starting to show. It is black, and honestly, if I were going to sell her, I might spend a few thousand on a good paint re-do, as I might get it back in re-sale. I'm the third owner, and don't know how the paint was cared for before I bought.

So we are talking about a care issue and not necessarily a paint quality issue? Just trying to clarify. Im guessing any 10 year old car would have some issues (especially black) if not cared for properly.

1bad540

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you're saying I should be worried about the paint on a 40k car? Not doubting it just curious. I haven't really heard anything about paint issues with the gen3 cars. Educate me.
really just paint chips to the hood front bumper, and lower rockers, also seat and bolster wear

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
really just paint chips to the hood front bumper, and lower rockers, also seat and bolster wear

This. Lower fascia scraped, even more so with mine, because it's lowered. Interior is in great shape. I think the previous owner just never really detailed the exterior well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang