5 point harness

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking for a 5 point harness for my GEN I viper. I am also looking for info on how to install the harness. Since the How to section didn't have the PDF file.

I am wondering why one would buy a $300-$500 racing harness instead of a $60-$150 harness:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BOB%2D50502%2D18%2D23&N=700+4294925234+4294839020+4294920121+115&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...925234+4294839020+4294920121+115&autoview=sku

http://www.saferacer.com/prose5plalih.html

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...925234+4294839020+4294920121+115&autoview=sku

I am a Cheap SOB so I would like to go less expensive. But I also want a good harness that will keep me stable in the turns. (and safe to) :headbang:

Thanks in advance,
Dan

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought 6 point Schroth's. I'm cheap too, but when it comes to helmets and safety harnesses, it's a wrong place to be cheap.
I like the Schroth's, wide and quite comfortable. Great twist buckle too.

JACKED DADDY

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im Feel Just The Opposite. Why Would Somebody Buy An Expensive Car And Be So Stingy With The One Item That Can Save There Life? Ill Take The Thousand Dollar One Please. Ps I Have An Extra 5 Point Crown For 250 Shipped. Thats Just One Of Jacked Daddys Opinions.

OP
OP
E

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im Feel Just The Opposite. Why Would Somebody Buy An Expensive Car And Be So Stingy With The One Item That Can Save There Life? Ill Take The Thousand Dollar One Please. Ps I Have An Extra 5 Point Crown For 250 Shipped. Thats Just One Of Jacked Daddys Opinions.

Can you give me a picture or a link to the 5 point crown you have?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm consulting in a project to build taxis and we are buying seat belts to the appropriate lengths. They all meet the FMVSS. Other than the type of buckle and ease of mounting, does anyone have any information about what makes one seat belt "better" than another?

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The TeamTech seems to be one of the standards for vipers. check out partsrack.com for details. they have a 5pt and a 6pt.

Personally, I used a simpson el-cheapo and a teamtech and the teamtech (albeit $200+) is a LOT more comfortable. both 5pt and 6pt. Plus, you get to pick all your colors (main harness, belts, pull-downs). To JonB's credit, he hooked me up on these both when i was at 5pt AND when i converted over to 6pt.

The teamtech's are quite cool looking and they have more padding than others. so look at those. then look at your groin. then ask yourself how 1+G's side-to-side and 2+G's in reverse (if you pull a chute) will feel w/o adequate padding. http://partsrack.blastmart.com/customer/product.php?productid=1308&cat=150&page=1 and http://www.teamtechmotorsports.com/racingharness/index.html

the answer was easy for me.

my .02...

JD

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As JD said, the Teamtech harness is comfortable and is of great quality. I just installed my harnesses prior to the Viper Days event at MAM. They do a GREAT job holding you in the seat. They come with a 2 year certification. After that you just ship them back to Teamtech for recertification.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A 5pt harness may save your life
A 6pt will save broken bones as legs/knees wont thrash in a rollover.
A 6pt will add car control due to better driver stability = no aaccident?
Compression pads minimize soft tissue damage
What is your body worth? $60? $500? (see below)
We have 5pts from $169 TEAM TECH.

Now, lets all save some money on a CHEAP HELMET !!!!!????

I am wondering why one would buy a $300-$500 racing harness instead of a $60-$150 harness: thanks in advance, Dan

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm consulting in a project to build taxis and we are buying seat belts to the appropriate lengths. They all meet the FMVSS. Other than the type of buckle and ease of mounting, does anyone have any information about what makes one seat belt "better" than another?

2nd impact survivability/stretch...... stretch-ability.... stitch patterns-strengths.....soft tisue damage (rash); Low-recoil energy absorbing padding; Ease of correct install and use.....hardware strength. CRASH SLED DATA !

As a former SFI Safety engineer who hated the slow-moving bureaucracy, the founder and owner of TEAM TECH is a guy worthy of your time. Ill put you in touch Tom.... call me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 5pt harness may save your life
A 6pt will save broken bones as legs/knees wont thrash in a rollover.
A 6pt will add car control due to better driver stability = no aaccident?
Compression pads minimize soft tissue damage
What is your body worth? $60? $500? (see below)
We have 5pts from $169 TEAM TECH.

Now, lets all save some money on a CHEAP HELMET !!!!!????

That's why I ask I just don't know the difference.:2tu:

Do you have instructions on how to put on GEN I that go with your 5 point harness? How hard is it to install?

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What the heck happened to the Harness Install in the How To section??

I just put a Pyrotect 6 point camlock harness in my GTS and the instructions said "not recommended for upright seating positions". For upright seating positions they recommend 5 point harnesses. Anyone ever heard this? Everyone says 6 point is the way to go. :dunno:

I just bought the harness here for $149.00. I see they changed the price to $234.99. Glad I got it when I did!

http://www.soloracer.com/pyrobellbelts.html

Affatica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't skimp when it comes to safety. If you track or race, I would suggest the 6 pt. Your life is well worth it.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
1) Various Sanctioning bodies accept 1 year, 2-year, 3-year, and some 5-year harness life. ALL SFI-FIA HARNESSES ARE DATE CODED......

2) When you buy elsewhere, Your harness may have sat on a shelf for as long as 6-20 months. Low prices usually indicate dated, old stock. (Same with helmets)

3) Not only are TeamTechs from PartsRack built to order, but dated ONE MONTH FUTURE (max allowable) to allow ship-install time. You get FULL LIFE of harness possible. We'll assemble with ****, contrast stictching and trim, NO EXTRA CHARGE. The sewn-on hi density, low recoil energy absorbing padding Minimizes SOFT TISSUE DAMAGE and even harness rash. THINK ABOUT IT !!!!! YOU CANNOT ACHIEVE THIS WITH FOAM RUBBER COSMETIC PADS !!!!!!!!

4) TeamTechs are a SYSTEM that can be RE-CERTIFIED as needed at 60% of new cost. As we pointed out to Joe, (thanks JD) You DONT have to buy a new harness every 2 years! TT will refurbish and re-cert the harness LIKE NEW at 60%. And you can upgrade from 4 to 5 to 6 to 7 to 8 points !!!! YOU ARE PURCHASING A SAFETY SYSTEM.

6) When the 1998-2000 GT2/ACRs had a FEDERAL OE Seatbelt recall, ONE entity was allowed to do D-C warranty replacements prior to Dodge getting dealer stock (took 16 months!) That was PARTSRACK, thanks. Many DOZENS of you stayed "ON TRACK" with us........

7) There have been dozens of "TEAM TECHS SAVED ME" posts here over the years, and at VRL events. Tommy Archer SWEARS by them, and says they literally saved his life in an ACR 'testing event.' Heaven forbid you are ever in a side-rollover, but a 5-pt can still allow your legs, knees and feet to thrash and flop unrestrained, and even knee your chin. You can bite your tongue off. {Can you get a new tongue for $100?} Dont buy dated, caution-labeled, non Viper cheepies. GET VIPER-DESIGNED 6 POINTS. If you dont want to get em from PartsRack for some reason, please buy em from JOHN ARCHER. But Choose Team Tech.

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That's why I ask I just don't know the difference.:2tu:

Do you have instructions on how to put on GEN I that go with your 5 point harness? How hard is it to install?

Instructions are included. Simple really, that car is tapped-bossed. Using them, DORIS from our office installed her own Team Techs at her home in a weekend. She did NOT like the care the Dealer did on Viper # 1.......she took more care herself with her 2nd Viper.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

With all respect to Snake Oyl (PartsRack distributes 95% of their good stuff, a tiny bit cheaper) that 6pt style harness are instead avail from TEAM TECH / PartsRack with fresh-built product dates, in contrast stitching, for $25 LESS !!!! YOU HAVE OPTIONS.

The stick-on snake logo covers the belt release safety instructions, which the tech manual says is a No-No. OK for show, but in the heat of on-track use an emergency worker responding while you are unconscious cannot see the realease info. And the decals can unstick and slough off in cockpit heat and sun. Our stick-ons are show-car optional at $10/pr,