510 vs. 488 rod ratio?

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im sending my GTS to Underground Racing for a full SC build, and some of the members helped me decide on doing the heads. Now the only part of the build Im running through and cant seem to decide on is to stay with the stock displacement, or go stroker. Im doing the Oliver billet rods/ CP pistons, billet main caps, either way. It will be a strong, high boost capable engine. Does anyone know the ratio differences between these two choices?

Im concerned mainly with the side pressure on the block (even with the billet caps), the shortened piston, and the ground stock crank. My common sense approach in my decision making process says the stock displacement engine will be more reliable from a less stress/longevity standpoint.

Please share opinions and thoughts on the issue

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Common sense says to let your engine builder/tuner make those recommendations for you. So rather than taking an intenret-monkey poll, you might want to let the people you are going with do that for you.

I can just see it now:

Customer: I want a 1000rwhp car
Vendor: Great, you have all the specs we gave you. we'll do it for you.
Customer: Great! But I want you to use my engine build specs
Vendor: Do you have any experience with engine building, or are you just listening to random people on the internet?
Customer: um... I know just enough to be dangerous
Vendor: apparently. Who is building this motor, anyway?

UGR's engine builder has done, what, 50+ Viper engines with specs that work. If you think you know better then please tell us all what you've learned!

Sarcasm aside, UGR is building/warrantying your system. What are you worried about???

JD

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Common sense says to let your engine builder/tuner make those recommendations for you. So rather than taking an intenret-monkey poll, you might want to let the people you are going with do that for you.

I can just see it now:

Vendor: Do you have any experience with engine building, or are you just listening to random people on the internet?

UGR's engine builder has done, what, 50+ Viper engines with specs that work. If you think you know better then please tell us all what you've learned!

Sarcasm aside, UGR is building/warrantying your system. What are you worried about???

JD

What he said....

OP
OP
D

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I can just see it now:

JD

Im not worried, and Im using Kevins suggestions. However I undrstand hes busy, and before I ask certain questions, I like to be better informed, and more knowledgeable on the subject, so as to not take needless time away from him. Ive searched. I wasnt taking a poll, but was rather looking for information, so that I could be "less dangerous" when asked why I went with a certain setup.

Im guessing you arent this arrogant when you ask questions about a subject you might not know everthing about either. That is if there is anything you dont know.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
All nonsense aside, the main reason for making engines in FI applications larger Ci is often done because engines come in with wear, and the only way of making engine packages "generic" is to pick a displacement that allows significant enough machining to cover almost all incoming engine wear and damage with the machining processes.

Yes, staying with stock Ci will be stronger. End of story. But the chances of your engine going in, and being perfectly in spec after honing the cylinder walls is very, very slim.

However, if you arent making major power, you are splitting hairs at best... you may as well just let UGR do their job.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll vote, if they are offset grinding your stock crank, then I vote NO on that one.

Reaction score
dun, the ratio difference will be negligible. As long as the piston has a good wide skirt it will be fine. UGR/Pro Line have built a lot of these and they have their combination down pat.

It's ok to ask questions to others for your own knowledge, but don't call Kevin and tell him the results of this poll. Tuners don't like this sort of thing.

Good luck!