600+ rear wheel H.P. - Normally Aspirated

Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This GTS is Normally Aspirated, stock intake with large throttle bodies and cam produces 600+ to the rear wheels (without NOS or turbo/supercharger). How does this compair with the Stroker and Turbo Vipers (forgeting Sir Hiss as it is not a Viper engine)? I have attempted to attach a jpeg file showing the dyno sheet. If someone can tell me how I will attach or email. Thanks.

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eric,

Email me the graph please. I would like to see it.
That is a bit more power than I am making. I do not have a stroker. The Strokers are making 600 - 620 to the wheels on motor. Maybe some a bit more. The HMS Turbo car makes 750 to the wheels. Who did the work?

Regards,

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VERY hard to believe. I know a guy who has a cam, computer, headers, cat-back, larger t-boddies, rockers that barely makes 475rwhp AND it's a 96 GTS.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the email Eric, You should include all of the info. for others as well. This is a .30 over motor with head work,etc.

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Eric Johnson and the car is bored 30 over whcih makes it a 496 Cubic Inch, Massive Head work, Smooth Tubes, 3.54 rear gears, Special Pistons, Cam, 62mm Throttle bodies and either 10.5, 11 or 11.5 compression (Not sure which compression it is). This is not a stroked motor and with no NOS!! Suppossed to be one of the fastest around this area. Hope this helps!!

Reaction score
He's got over $30,000 in the motor alone. A guy named Al, can't think of his last name. He lives close to Memphis is what Eric told me. Does awesome work too. He does a lot of work with NASCAR.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New guy here with a few question about your beasts:

What the most All Motor RWHP a Viper has put down?....
Is more than 750hp to the rear wheels possible on motor alone?
That would mean the motor is making more than 830hp at the crank right?

Could a Viper with that power level use pump gas? Or would methanol or some other form of fuel be required.....

Whats the hp figures on those Oreca Vipers?..Ive been told they can do low 10's high 9's in the quarter even though its not a drag car....

Just curious....A motor that size has got to be able to come close to those rwhp figures if not surpass it if you work the hell out of it I think.

Dont dismiss me because of the car I drive
crying.gif

later
biggrin.gif

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve B

Ported and polished heads with stock cam, and valves(three angle valve Job), roller rockers 1.7 and K &N filters , Hennessy headers and my cat back system produced 505 at the rear wheels. With quarter mile times of 11.5 at 126-128 mph with BFG drag radials with lots of wheel spin and 60 ft times of 2.0 to 2.1. With a camshaft should put out about 525-540 at the rear wheels

Reaction score
John we'll see you this week-end at the CART races. Remember I want a ride in the Venom if it's back from the road trip it took.
laugh.gif
I e-mailed you the flight number and times we would be in Houston on Friday. Have a great week everyone!!

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys guys....Im Viper crazy and would like to own one soon...At least now I know the Powerlevels I can achieve with just motor...Im kinda an all motor man....But seeing JH's Venom 800 has me really on the fence....It just seems that cars that are converted to turbo break easier than n/a cars...At least in the Import racing Im into now....later

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1Bad,

Those are some pretty good numbers you are putting down! What is the RWTQ?

Good luck with your future upgrades! - oh, and yes, those numbers are corrected.

Regards,

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a reference comment....

Doesn't everyone remember back when hopping up muscle cars, that someone would put all these goodies into their car... cam,heads,headers,intake,exchaust... and the car ran slower?

And conversely, there was always a guy who would run all the "stock" parts or maybe all GM parts and his car would be stunningly fast?

And then there is Winston Cup, 355 cu in, Low CR, w/o restrictors, 8700 rpm and 850 HP, and....

Busch, 355 cu in, 9:1 CR, restrictors plates, ~480 cfm 4bbl and 535 HP.....

Consider the Winston engine, you could add 2 cyl (increase by 25%) to get 445 and decrease rpm 20% to 6960 rpm to get the same 850 HP.

And contrary to a lot of belief, changing displacement does not effect peak HP. Peak HP is basically an indication of the flow potential of the induction system. When you increase displacement, you merely reduce the rpm that peak HP occurs at.

This is why a bigger engine needs a bigger cam to make bigger HP.

The key to HP is the cylinder heads and the intake.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Tom,
Remember how Ford put out the BOSS 429 and even the 351 Cleveland head motor? Great in theory as a full, high rpm race motor, but way too much valve for street application. Neither lived up to the hype in factory street tune.

WCKDVPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1 bad gts, Fred, anyone,

I have headers and exhaust with an extrude hone intake on a '96 GTS. I am thinking of doing heads as my next modification and considering a cam at the same time. I am curious what cam profiles you guys are running that work on the street (pass CA smog) as well as the track. Any advice would be helpful.

I have followed all the threads on heads and prefer not to get into that here. Just cam info/advice please.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21