650rwhp...super responsive

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to review. A couple months back i posted as having part throttle issues with my built all motor & SCT... noticed poor response & some lag.
I knew it was a pcm or sensor or tune thing.
http://forums.viperclub.org/tuning/642566-super-responsive-part-throttle.html

Well I spent the day at A&C Performance with Todd to get PCM & SCT sorted out.

Todd sure took care of it and made it right!

Yeah, so i needed some fixes... MAP sensor wasnt reading proper and screwing up timing tables, we dealt with knock sensors also (I heard '05 Gen3 is 1st year with knock sensors). So PCM was pulling timing and furthering the chain reaction causing A/F to be off.

We ran dyno several times...real time comparisons & corrections to optimize timing for 91 oct... verify motor never pulls timing and checked plugs for any hint of detonation...Everything looks good. A/F was looking real stable 12.8-12.9 across almost the entire rpm range as required.

What a Rush this Built All Motor Copperhead is!!!

Made 643rwhp @ 6100rpm & 620rw ft-lbs @ 4800rpm

By the way, this is Todds built motor & tune running Greg Good race heads & custom comp cam.

Part throttle is better than ever now.
With 4000 miles on built motor and SCT completely optimized the car feels real strong.

[media]http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z387/dipapa/Viper%20Copperhead/viperbuiltallmotordyno4-26-11.jpg[/media]

I drove the viper home today via 101 fwy 485 miles from Murrieta, CA (location of A&C Performance) to San Jose, CA and every mile felt so responsive & motor felt so strong in every rpm.

I have my wings... no boost needed!

Couple of side notes,

A month back i put in 10 qts Amsoil 20W-50 premium synthetic motor oil...A Gen3 takes 9.1 qts so i may have lost a few hp from extra oil potentially causing some motor resistance??? I usually add a bit more oil just to be safe.

I have American Racing 1 3/4 headers & no cats, I use stock mufflers to maintain sound levels. A more efficient free flowing cat back will definetely increase hp a bit as well.

Im extremely satisfied with this car, the built all motor and looking forward to a summer of great driving.

Last edited:

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its great to hear that your NA monster is more responsive again. I see that these adjustments (along with pulling some ignition timing) cost you about 10whp from your previous session. Nonetheless, I am sure its running happier now.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A month back i put in 10 qts Amsoil 20W-50 premium synthetic motor oil...A Gen3 takes 9.1 qts so i may have lost a few hp from extra oil potentially causing some motor resistance??? I usually add a bit more oil just to be safe.

Dimitri,

Where are you getting that a Gen III only uses 9.1 qts of oil? The service manual (not users manual) on my '03 clearly states that I use 11 qts of oil, with filter change of course.

??????

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dipapa,

Glad Todd got you sorted out. You have a strong motor and your viper and a couple of others I know of are great examples of how III's can make more NA power than a built Gen IV. Gen IV'***** the wall at 610/580 and you need headers, ECU, ported heads and intake to get there. If you get down here again check in with the SCA club. Mike

OP
OP
D

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dimitri,

Where are you getting that a Gen III only uses 9.1 qts of oil? The service manual (not users manual) on my '03 clearly states that I use 11 qts of oil, with filter change of course.

??????

I think I may have misquoted the 9.1qt

I used 10 qt oil with the new filter and I thought that was a bit high as measured by the dipstick. I think the dipstick fluctuates 0.5-1.0 qt high bar to low bar. Been monitoring the oil level allot and it has been holding very stable.

I thought 10.5 was high however checking online spec source says 10.5 is proper.

I always have the shop change my oil but this time i did it myself.

Thats important...Don't want to confuse anyone with something this simple.

Last edited: