7 MONTHS!?!?!?!

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car was in an accident on 12/30/07. I had posted pictures and thought that all was lost. It ends up that most of the damage was cosmetic and I was going to get new body parts and be on my merry way.

I just got a call today from Chuck Tator that Dodge will not be able to supply me with upper and lower control arms until sometime in mid-JULY! 7 friggin months to get me control arms for a near $100K car? How do they not have these parts in stock? They are the same control arms that have been on Vipers since 2003!

Chuck has been great and we have talked almost every week as he has updated me on the status. Indian Auto the shop taking care of my car has been great as well, also calling me to update me. I ma not blaming them and they are ALMOST as frustrated as I am.

The problem is DODGE and MOPAR PARTS who can't get me my parts for 7 months! I just don't understand this. I have been more than patient but now I am irrate!! :mad:

I don't even know what to say....

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do what I did today, buy a pellet rifle (load multiple rounds into the chamber first), get a target rose and something soft for behind it to catch the pellets and start 'a shootin in your back yard. Doesn't Chuck give shooting lessons about each day?
My gut just tells me that they are still trying to destroy Tator's Dodge by harassing him in any way they still can.

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
call jon b at parts rack. when i smashed my old RT10 he was able to help with lots of used parts. also if you look on ebay there are usually loads of them for sale.

eBay Motors: DODGE VIPER SRT 2006 CONTROL ARM GEN 3 III LR LOWER (item 120131745225 end time May-08-08 05:09:27 PDT)

My car was in an accident on 12/30/07. I had posted pictures

and thought that all was lost. It ends up that most of the damage was cosmetic and I was going to get new body parts and be on my merry way.

I just got a call today from Chuck Tator that Dodge will not be able to supply me with upper and lower control arms until sometime in mid-JULY! 7 friggin months to get me control arms for a near $100K car? How do they not have these parts in stock? They are the same control arms that have been on Vipers since 2003!

Chuck has been great and we have talked almost every week as he has updated me on the status. Indian Auto the shop taking care of my car has been great as well, also calling me to update me. I ma not blaming them and they are ALMOST as frustrated as I am.

The problem is DODGE and MOPAR PARTS who can't get me my parts for 7 months! I just don't understand this. I have been more than patient but now I am irrate!! :mad:

OP
OP
P

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't want used parts, I want new parts and I want my car returned to pre-lost condition. Used control arms aren't something that excite me.

Frank17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Pete,
I have been wondering where you have been, as Captree is getting warmer.
Good luck,
Frank

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't want used parts, I want new parts and I want my car returned to pre-lost condition. Used control arms aren't something that excite me.

i get your drift and where youre coming from. yes it ***** that they dont have a new part in stock. you ccould wait for a new part OR get a used part and enjoy you car this summer. just know that you dont have a new car anymore :nono: a control arm is not mechanical. its just a piece of metal that holds your wheel to the chassis and cant be polished or waxed or seen unless its on a lift..:2tu:

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Python, Dimitios has a good idea...you situation *****, and I feel for you.. But control arms dont have any moving parts within them. They are either broke, or not broke.. And I dont think they bend.. If those things get hit, they crack EASY. So, if it has no cracks, its good as new INMHO.(correct me if Im wrong techs).. Its not like your settling for a used engine vs. a new one. Clean the control arms up, and they should present as new.. When you get a settlement from your insurance carrier. It should "net" you an estimate for new ones. So you would essentially pick this savings up.. food for thought?

Having said that, it does seem odd there is a 7mo. wait for a part like this..

Last edited:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dimitrios has a good point. Take it one further, get used ones for now and leave your order in. When the new ones come in, just swap the used for the new. To get it back driving over the summer I am sure the additional cost is worthwhile.

i get your drift and where youre coming from. yes it ***** that they dont have a new part in stock. you ccould wait for a new part OR get a used part and enjoy you car this summer. just know that you dont have a new car anymore :nono: a control arm is not mechanical. its just a piece of metal that holds your wheel to the chassis and cant be polished or waxed or seen unless its on a lift..:2tu:

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel your pain man. I would do exactly what Nader said so you can enjoy the beginning of the driving season. You dont want to miss the first Viper season of Gen 4's and ACR's making appearances! Watch Viper kick the snot out of everything else on the track!:headbang:

When I blew my motor last July I missed almost all of the remaining season waiting for Chrysler to send a tech to inspect then replace my blown engine.

I got my car back in October.:rolleyes: Get the used ones and go play...then let Chuck put on the new ones when they come in. Chuck can have the new ones in in the time it takes a gnat to fart!:D

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again, I agree with Dimitrios, a control arm is virtually the same new or used. That's the way to go if you want to get on the road. Other than bushings (which are replacable), they don't really wear out.

Jeff

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since when has anything that has been backordered been delivered on time. You might not get them until the fall. I agree with the others, get the used ones and enjoy.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might add that I'm sure this has nothing to do with Tators OLD situation, thank God.
First, he NEVER had a problem with parts even after he had his ability to order cars cut off.
Second, if he even REMOTELY thought that HE was the problem he would have said so and sent the customer somewhere else. He is famous for that even if it's a "You can get a better deal by calling this guy situation." If he can't get the new part, nobody can, and he would have consulted his buddies at Woodhouse and others to make sure.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Pete Im calling your bluff on this one: We had every new, painted original panel reserved for you, complete w. CAAP crayon marks, and you went instead with service-primer for MORE MONEY and long waits. We put a lot of hours in trying to help you in this. We could have shipped every OE part, including A-arms inside 3 DAYS.

(NOT YOUR FAULT that 2 body shops would not cooperate and GOUGED you, but you acceded rather than insisted. YOU are THEIR CUSTOMER. You let them control the situation IMHO.)

I am serious: I would rather have OEM new painted parts than service parts, ANY DAY especially for $3000 less money! We would have paid your deductible too, and left you with at least $2500 ahead.

A CONTROL ARM with less miles than your used one ? C'mon...........

Thanks Anyway, and still your crash-dummy

caseyse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So, if it has no cracks, its good as new INMHO.(correct me if Im wrong techs).

I agree w. everyone that a used control arm would be fine, and something I would do in the circumstances. Although I haven't looked, I would expect that the lower arm would have a ball joint that should be inspected. Most people don't drive their cars much, so any used ball joint would likely be as-new. This could also be replaced w. new when swapping the control arms.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pete Im calling your bluff on this one: We had every new, painted original panel reserved for you, complete w. CAAP crayon marks, and you went instead with service-primer for MORE MONEY and long waits. We put a lot of hours in trying to help you in this. We could have shipped every OE part, including A-arms inside 3 DAYS.

(NOT YOUR FAULT that 2 body shops would not cooperate and GOUGED you, but you acceded rather than insisted. YOU are THEIR CUSTOMER. You let them control the situation IMHO.)

I am serious: I would rather have OEM new painted parts than service parts, ANY DAY especially for $3000 less money! We would have paid your deductible too, and left you with at least $2500 ahead.

A CONTROL ARM with less miles than your used one ? C'mon...........

Thanks Anyway, and still your crash-dummy

As Paul Harvey would say, folks here's the rest of the story. Way to go Jon trying to help
this guy out. Penny wise dollar STUPID.

OP
OP
P

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, I'm not sure what you mean by "calling my bluff". I went with the auto guy that Chuck recommended and he's done right by me. I went with the OEM parts per Chuck's direction. I am not trying to get into a war here. I want my car back right. I tried to use as many of your parts as possible.

If you do have Control arms, I will talk to Chuck and if he says he can do what everyone is suggesting then I will order the control arms from you.

I just want my car back in mint condition. I want my car back sooner rather than later.

I appreciate your help as well as everyone's on this board.

-Peter

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
save your self the time and some money. its not like youre buying a used motor, tranny, clutch, brakes..its a used peice of metal, that probably came off a car with less miles than yours..

jon B helped me out when i crashed my old rt/10. bought most parts from him used and ended up with extra $7k in my pocket somehow :drive:

I agree w. everyone that a used control arm would be fine, and something I would do in the circumstances. Although I haven't looked, I would expect that the lower arm would have a ball joint that should be inspected. Most people don't drive their cars much, so any used ball joint would likely be as-new. This could also be replaced w. new when swapping the control arms.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jon, I'm not sure what you mean by "calling my bluff". I went with the auto guy that Chuck recommended and he's done right by me. I went with the OEM parts per Chuck's direction. I am not trying to get into a war here. I want my car back right. I tried to use as many of your parts as possible.

If you do have Control arms, I will talk to Chuck and if he says he can do what everyone is suggesting then I will order the control arms from you.

I just want my car back in mint condition. I want my car back sooner rather than later.
I appreciate your help as well as everyone's on this board. -Peter

"Calling your bluff" on the TIME needed. And on refusing our great offer!

Fact 1: We could have shipped all new body parts in under 3 days, NEW OE parts in what I believe are equal or even BETTER than new service parts. Some parts even have the crayon marks from CAAP! Fact 2: Service parts are not 'mint OE'. Both body shops (especially the 1st one we STRONGLY URGED you to abandon) wanted to make the 25%+ parts profit off of you, so of COURSE they wanted to buy parts wholesale from THEIR vendors. FACT 3: That first shop wanted to charge you and your insurance co. $5500 for a primed Sill and another $500 to paint it......a part I offered at $2900 PAINTED. THAT $$$ was YOURS on that ONE PART! You walked away from a painted part, immediate shipping, and $3100 insurance $ in your pocket on JUST ONE PART. Other body parts had great savings as well.

EDIT: Here is a side sill as you would have gotten http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...s-when-you-call-jon-b-mondays-outrageous.html

If you had bought PartsRack parts with your insurance check, OR even negotiated Chuck's Body shop to earn 10% + labor (WE suggested them to you?) with a "cost Plus 10% from PartsRack" YOU would have had your car back months ago, and several thousand insurance $$$ (15%?) in your pocket as Dimitrious did. That is just a simple truth.

I admit our offer did sound the proverbial "too good to be true" but nevertheless it was TRUE.

Sorry to lose your parts business (esp after so much advisory efforts, and pulling, saving, and pre-packing them for you.) You lost the savings margin and lost the car 7+ mos. We both lost, but I feel your loss was much greater.

Seriously tho, I thank you for your other and future business and NO HARD FEELINGS !

Last edited:

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car was in an accident on 12/30/07. I had posted pictures and thought that all was lost. It ends up that most of the damage was cosmetic and I was going to get new body parts and be on my merry way.

Hi there.
I’ve got brand new control arms. Right side. Front and rear. Upper and lower control arms.
PM me if you are still interested.

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Pete,

I replied to your PM.
As I wrote in the PM, I have brand new upper and lower control arms for all 4 corners.
I have brand new knuckles too if you plan on replacing those.

Hope you get your Viper back running asap.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang