708 Cam in Creampuff

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking for a winter project, thinking of throwing a 708 in my 2001 GTS. Do not want to spend the money to do heads right now, and I know I am probably not going to pick up much, if any, HP by making the change, but I cannot stand the smooth idle that I have now. Question is, can I use the creampuff lifters with the 708? I know the lifters used were different than in the forged engines, not sure if they are compatible or not. Also, will the the extra overlap on the cam cause a PCM issue?

I know its a lot of work for nothing more than a nice lumpy idle, but the winters are long here in Chitown;). If the lifters will work, it really doesn't look like that bad a job using the old magnet trick and leaving the heads on.

Feedback is appreciated, TIA.

martyb

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Marty,
Talk to Greg good, he can fix you up with a very good set of lifters. On the 708 cam, I would couple it with a set of 1.7 RR. That would give you a total lift of about .575" I like the 708 cam and it sounds great in my 99, but there are better camshafts out there(always is, right ;) )

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do a cam for sure, even if it's just for the sound..........the 00 up cars sound like ass. SCT tune as well..
Make sure to post up pictures of the progress. Good luck

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the simple answer is yes however, as advised previously check with Greg Good... I have heard nothing but good things.

:usa:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there are much better cams to swap in. talk to greg good about it.

its a lot of work to do, you might as well install a better cam

OP
OP
M

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will check in with Mr Good, thanks gents. Trying to make it a simple swap, leaving the heads on the motor.

jordan01GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also was thinking about putting a 708 in my 01 gts, I like the sound of the corsa with no cats, but I would like to get rid of that smooth idle. Is it a conversion i can do myself? I am very mechanical but I havent put a cam in a car.

OP
OP
M

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think the jobs too bad, I am sure someone will jump in with tips and tricks to swapping a cam the simple way!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't imagine going to all the trouble of swapping a cam and that being the only thing you do...oh yes I can, because I did it 30 years ago. I wouldn't today though.

If you're looking for a winter project and are going to all the trouble of swapping the cam I'd go the whole nine yards including some preventive maintenance. Pull the motor, swap the cam, pistons, valve train and all the fun stuff you want.

Then do the preventive - make sure you don't have the bad water pump that came with the 00 and some 01 I believe. Swap the power steering bracket and pulley for aluminum and replace the high pressure hose (the hose gets old and brittle, the pulley is plastic and will break and the bracket is *** metal and has also been known to break). Install a top radiator hose with a bleeder valve. Might as well replace the o-ring in the A/C too, that always goes bad.

The preventive stuff is the best ROI IMO but not as fun for some folks. But then I like to put miles on my Viper, lots and lots of miles so peace of mind is important to me.

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a fun project! I am going to offer some of the same advice that you have already got. If you are going to go to the trouble of swapping a cam, I would go with something more than just a factory 708. You don't have to go all out, but I would get a nice aftermarket street cam. You will get a nice idle, but the advantage is, you will also get a great jump in HP and the powerband on your car will be a lot more fun to go through as well. ;) You would need to get a little tuning (but you would need to anyway with the 708 for it to run perfect). The SCT would be good for this.

I would talk to that Greg Good guy for info on what cam you should get. I have heard 100's of good feedback about him concerning these things. Good luck.

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There are better cams that will make more power and sound better but the more you deviate from stock there will be drivability issues. Yes the tuning helps but based on my experience as well as others, off idle and at lower rpm there will be issues with surging and bucking.
Tim

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The other advantage of the 708 cam is that it is cheap. Awesome but cheap. Add a couple hundred to the money you saved buying 'just a 708' cam and spend it on 1.7 rockers with pushrods.

Just my suggestion.

Ted

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are better cams that will make more power and sound better but the more you deviate from stock there will be drivability issues. Yes the tuning helps but based on my experience as well as others, off idle and at lower rpm there will be issues with surging and bucking.
Tim

Really? I've had a pretty agressive street cam in my GTS for over a year now and it runs like a top in humid or cool weather. As long as it's done right, it should be fine.