89 countach vs 91 Diablo

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My vote is for the Diablo. I remeber when these first came out all the mags reported that it was a much better car to drive than the Countach.

Also looks better too.

I actually like the looks of the Diablo even more than the New Murcielago.

Good luck.

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Diab-blah-blah-blah-o <drewling>

that about how I say it when I see one on the road. It's one of the ultimate exotics.

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No questions asked - Diablo. Unless you are into Miami Vice, white pants, Sunny Crocket etc. Although, white pants are in style this spring...

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Diablo's look has not aged as much as it is only 13 years old. There is nothing like the look of the Diablo...

As for the white, what is so wrong with white on a Diablo? I have to agree on the red interior, but as for the exterior, the white is very sharp.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The "WOW" factor of the Countach still reigns supreme.I have had my countach and diablo at a car show together,and forget about it.The countach is still the original badboy,and an over the edge radical design.It depends what your looking for in the car.Performance,go for the diablo.A wild ride,the badboy for sure.Outdated?Maybe,but so is the 67 vette and original cobras,just to mention a few.The countach will go down in auto history as one of the wildest cars to be produced,and it is the icon of the 80's as far as cars go.JMHO
One other factor.The late model countaches are now appreciating in value.They go for slightly more than a 91 diablo with moderate mileage.Look for this trend to continue.

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll go against the grain here...Countach. My friend has one and when we drive it gets more attention than anything. It is the classic supercar. However, I prefer the non-89 models.

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Adam, I say Diablo, which is why I suggested it to you. After riding in the white countach, I was not all that impressed with that particular car. The gawk factor was there, but not the performance. I remember seeing a black diablo in the DuPont Registry last month for around 85K, and I think it was at Prestige Imports in Miami.

Here is a quote from a friend of mine who is big into sports cars, remember, I didn't say it, he did!

"That Lambo is the fugliest….if it weren’t for the Canonball movie, it would have never been as popular. Its also heavy and S L O W!

The car is proof that EVERY car maker has a pig in its stable.

If you don’t like your friend in N.Y, continue on this silly chase J Tell your friend to save money and buy a ‘69/’70 Mura!!!!"

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is a quote from a friend of mine who is big into sports cars, remember, I didn't say it, he did!

"That Lambo is the fugliest….if it weren’t for the Canonball movie, it would have never been as popular. Its also heavy and S L O W!

The car is proof that EVERY car maker has a pig in its stable.

If you don’t like your friend in N.Y, continue on this silly chase J Tell your friend to save money and buy a ‘69/’70 Mura!!!!"

Well,there you go Adam.You wanted advise,now you have it.And thats from someone who is big into sports cars.He MUST know.You'd have to be an idiot to get a countach.Forget what I told you.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of my sales guys used to work @ a lambo dealer, they would only deliver a diablo @ closing time & then turn off the cell phones, because they inevitable broke down on the way home. Lambos have never been known for the quality of construction, I would stick to the Countach, It seems to be better developed & less complex.

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GT - I apologize if I named it wrong. ( I coulda sworn it was right. ) It is the earlier model. It was more " raw " in design and performance.

Vanquish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One point if it matters is that it is not a very well known fact that the 91, 92, and 93 Diablos were all made in 1991. Unfortunatily the car was rushed to market too fast and was/is plagued with electrical problems from the ignition harness to the intrument cluster. The best ones to get if you have the funds are the 95 and up. Unless you buy the 89 which Dodge had a very big interest in and invested alot of money to improve the quality.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One point if it matters is that it is not a very well known fact that the 91, 92, and 93 Diablos were all made in 1991. Unfortunatily the car was rushed to market too fast and was/is plagued with electrical problems from the ignition harness to the intrument cluster. The best ones to get if you have the funds are the 95 and up. Unless you buy the 89 which Dodge had a very big interest in and invested alot of money to improve the quality.

Chrysler was also the company that brought the Diablo to life.And for those that didnt know,lambo Italy was responsible for taking the v-10 truck motor,making it aluminum and designing the performance goodies.All of the '92 Viper motors and 95% of the 93's were made and assembled in the lambo plant in Italy,and shipped over.

OP
OP
B

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well theres alot to digest here..LOL I love thew lines on both cars..however since I dont have an open check book $$$ plays a role into it. Plus I only plan to drive the car weekends and special occasions so its reliability factor is not an issue. Either way I would make sure major service has been performed on the car prior to purchase..A Countach is Fugly? I never heard that one...LOL

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chrysler was also the company that brought the Diablo to life.And for those that didnt know,lambo Italy was responsible for taking the v-10 truck motor,making it aluminum and designing the performance goodies.All of the '92 Viper motors and 95% of the 93's were made and assembled in the lambo plant in Italy,and shipped over.

I have to disagree here. The initial plan was to take the (then new) V10 iron block truck engine and have Lamborghini cast it in aluminum and rebuild the top end to make more HP, but the initial two engines built by Lamborghini were deem unsuitable for the demands (abuse) that the drivetrain would be likely getting in the Viper.
The engines made good power, but low torque, and they were seen as being fragile. So all plans were scrapped and the Viper engine was completely redone by Dodge engineers, and it shares no parts with the truck's V10. Plus the only component from the Lambo testing that actually made it into the production Viper was the intake manifold.

The Countach looks like a space ship to me. Wild, but pimpish. Cool but over-the-top. And the Countach's design looks much more dated than the gracefully styled Muira.

I'd pick the Diablo, and I don't even mind the white color. :cool:

-Dean.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree here. The initial plan was to take the (then new) V10 iron block truck engine and have Lamborghini cast it in aluminum and rebuild the top end to make more HP, but the initial two engines built by Lamborghini were deem unsuitable for the demands (abuse) that the drivetrain would be likely getting in the Viper.
The engines made good power, but low torque, and they were seen as being fragile. So all plans were scrapped and the Viper engine was completely redone by Dodge engineers, and it shares no parts with the truck's V10. Plus the only component from the Lambo testing that actually made it into the production Viper was the intake manifold.

The Countach looks like a space ship to me. Wild, but pimpish. Cool but over-the-top. And the Countach's design looks much more dated than the gracefully styled Muira.

I'd pick the Diablo, and I don't even mind the white color. :cool:

-Dean.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry Dean,your info is off.I bought one new in 92 and did alot of research prior to that.The story has been changed a bit over the years,for obvious reasons.After Chrysler dumped lambo,things changed in how things were originally done.Dont want to get in a pizzing contest over it however,so keep the faith.And certainly many share your opinion of the Countach.Lambo had the guts to produce an over the top car in the 80's,when many others were putting out mundane,economy,low-performance cars.The design is still a crowd gatherer,for good and bad reasons.It will go down in history as the exotic that set the standard for others to beat,like it or not.