89 countach vs 91 Diablo

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Dean,your info is off.I bought one new in 92 and did alot of research prior to that.The story has been changed a bit over the years,for obvious reasons.After Chrysler dumped lambo,things changed in how things were originally done.Dont want to get in a pizzing contest over it however,so keep the faith

My info is from Daniel F. Carney's book Dodge Viper, where he interviewed the main members of the Viper development team. They could have all decided to revise their facts for corporate/political reasons.
But I don't think so.

They said flat-out that there are no shared parts with the iron V10 truck engine, and showed pictures of the revised V10 engine molds after the Dodge redesign. But who knows? The victors always write the history books. ;)

As far as the Countach goes, it's an icon of an 80's Italian exotic car. And all that goes with that image. :headbang:

-Dean.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My info is from Daniel F. Carney's book Dodge Viper, where he interviewed the main members of the Viper development team. They could have all decided to revise their facts for corporate/political reasons.
But I don't think so.

They said flat-out that there are no shared parts with the iron V10 truck engine, and showed pictures of the revised V10 engine molds after the Dodge redesign. But who knows? The victors always write the history books. ;)

As far as the Countach goes, it's an icon of an 80's Italian exotic car. And all that goes with that image. :headbang:

-Dean.

Oh Dean,sorry,I didnt know you read a BOOK.That tells me all I need to know.And as I said before,keep the faith,you obviously have it all figured out.Good luck to you.And its more than an icon of the 80's Italian exotic car.In your vast knowledge,from a book,what car would you consider to be an icon of the 80's?

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, you are right.
I've never owned either a Countach or Diablo (which you do), and I've never personally spoken to anyone on the original Viper development team about the car's development history.
But outside of direct personal experience, a book will have to do for me with regard to past facts, history, and even related opinions of the time. I'm not so naive to think that writers don't slant the truth, or that people remember things differently over time (sometimes out of choice). but it's what I have to go on, and all that I have to contribute beyond my opinion.

I mentioned the book because it is a verifiable, quotable source, as opposed to pure opinion.
And it's more common than not that people's "facts" are merely derived from internet-based opinions.

There are certainly a few rare people who actually have personal knowledge about historic events, but it's very unlikely that they come online to share their experiences and views on the facts.
I'm happy to be corrected by someone who actually knows the truth about important events. Really.
But in my experience, it's a rare treat to get uneditorialized, firsthand info.

-Dean.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you Dean.I was just trying to help.No flame intended.We are all Viper guys at heart.

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
qoute
"Oh Dean,sorry,I didnt know you read a BOOK.That tells me all I need to know.And as I said before,keep the faith,you obviously have it all figured out.Good luck to you.And its more than an icon of the 80's Italian exotic car.In your vast knowledge,from a book,what car would you consider to be an icon of the 80's?"

then says "Thank you Dean.I was just trying to help.No flame intended."

Dean, sounds to me like this guy walks up to you and kicks you in the balls, then says "sorry man, wasn't trying to hurt you"

------what a frickin' joke

(can't wait to hear the next smart-ass reply) just remember though, we are all viper guys at heart.

Adam, I think you should buy which ever car you really have your heart set on, and what anyone else may say or think does not really matter. Go with what is going to make you happy. For example, my next toy is going to be a Ford Model A convertible with a rumble seat in stock form. Some people may think that is dumb, but I do not care. I am going to get what I want, and hope you do the same.
Good luck in your quest.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim,

No, I actually think that Viper585 thought that I was being a contradicting, know-it-all, troll, and then when I clarified what I was trying to say, he understood.

I've been on the internet long enough to see that it's easy to have comments mis-interpreted, and I usually don't take comments too personally. But I do like debating points of information and even personal opinions. :D

I do know what you are saying about people simply liking different cars. One of my other cars is a '59 Karmann Ghia convertible, which is VERY different from the Viper. But it simply has a different appeal for me, and is very fun in it's own way.

I've seen a couple Countaches on the road, but there are quite a few replicas out there, so you cannot tell if the better copies are real or not. I've only seen two Diablos on the road and they are more visually striking in real life, being so wide and low.

-Dean.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
qoute

Dean, sounds to me like this guy walks up to you and kicks you in the balls, then says "sorry man, wasn't trying to hurt you"

------what a frickin' joke

(can't wait to hear the next smart-ass reply) just remember though, we are all viper guys at heart.
Blue Pilot,
Why dont you read all the info before mouthing off.We were having a spirited debate,and Im fairly certain that Dean understood what my point was,just as I understood what his was.If you dont like the way I present it,hey,here's a clue,dont read it.But dont start crap between Dean and I because its not there. There are guys posting that I refuse to read because I dont like their methods,just as Im sure there are guys who dont read my comments because they dont like the way I present it.