!!! '94 RT/10 Georgia Emissions Update !!!

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
!!! \'94 RT/10 Georgia Emissions Update !!!

Topic was originally discussed here:

Gen I/II Smog Question

and here:

’94 in Ringgold, owned buy VCA member from AL

I just purchased a 1994 Viper with high flow cats and Borla exhaust. Where I live in Georgia I need to get the emissions tested, and since '94 doesn't have OBDII, it has to go on a dyno.

Well, I looked around the area this morning and decided the Meineke shop was the cleanest looking place. I took the car out for about a 10 minute drive to make sure everything was warm. I made sure that the gasoline in the tank was almost entirely fresh and bought locally (the Atlanta area has a special mix of gasoline, just like many other cities, to reduce emissions, I learned this trick in California). The tech put the car on the in-ground dyno and set to work.

First, he couldn't find the exhaust/muffler/cats, so I explained where they were and told him to trust me, they were there. Then, unlike some people had advised me, they had two probes for the exhaust pipes, so the entire exhaust from the engine was tested. It took forever to get a RPM reading from the engine. Their interferometer (sp?) didn't work consistently no matter where they set it on the car. They tried clipping a smaller one to the plug wires, but that didn't work well either. It finally started working when we moved it closer to the coil. After quite a while playing with the setup, every thing went well and the car passed. However, the gas cap was bad, no surprise there, so I just bought one and all was well.

So I have learned that:
-high flow cats are good enough for Georgia
-they are setup for dual exhaust cars
-just replace an old gas cap before you test the car
-my cooling system works great because it idled on the dyno for a while and didn't overheat
-stay with the car the whole time because most people have no idea how to open the hood, doors, etc...
<font color="blue">
I'm headed outside to clean the car up and snap some photos, I should have them posted tonight!!!</font> :2tu:

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: !!! \'94 RT/10 Georgia Emissions Update !!!

Don, thanks for everything. If you do find them laying around I'd still like to have them, but obviously its not a priority since I passed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21